Clutch linkage on my '79 busted apart in parking lot...

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
rurcon

Clutch linkage on my '79 busted apart in parking lot...

Post by rurcon »

Hey all,

I lost the use of my clutch pedal on my '79 J10 on my way home from work last night, with buckets of rain coming down while picking up pizza... happened in the parking lot, managed to get the truck safely in another lot behind the building and caught a ride home.

I went back today to figure out the problem, and it looks like a busted ball joint:
ball-joint.jpg
The adjuster is also disconnected from the throwout lever -- does that just stay together by force when everything is connected together?
throwout-lever.jpg
Does anyone know where I can find a replacement ball joint quickly? It's listed as part #5.160-3 in the parts catalog, but I haven't had much luck with that number. I'm also seeing that I don't have the lock nut for the ball joint that is shown in the service manual, though I don't see it in the parts manual. If it wasn't used in 1979, not sure how you would be able to line up the ball joint and keep it tight to the rod.
clutch-linkage-service-manual.png
clutch-linkage-parts-manual.png
As always, any insight would be greatly appreciated.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1979 Jeep J10 360 4-speed, 3" lift, 31x10.5's (Jolene)

Stuka
Site Admin

Re: Clutch linkage on my '79 busted apart in parking lot...

Post by Stuka »

Super common issue. I rebuild a new rod on both my FSJ's from all thread, and heim joints. WAY better than stock, and it never did need to be replaced after that.

The heim joints allow for length adjustment, and use some nuts to act as a jam-nut to keep that adjustment. I bought all the parts from Napa. I would suggest the teflon lined heim joints instead of all steel.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

Insight? It wore out.

Here's my J10 with Heim joints -

AFAIK no one is making the replacement parts for the FSJ clutch linkage. They are similar to CJ parts, but not the same (larger diameter shafts). Part numbers won't help you. Suggest you buy Heim joints from McMaster-Carr and build replacements. If you still have the rods, you can grind to remove the existing ends, thread the rods, and screw on Heim joints.

Search for lots of info in previous posts -
https://www.bing.com/search?q=site%3Afs ... heim+joint
Last edited by tgreese on Sat May 20, 2023 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

A few additional points from your post -

The broken end is not what you circled. There is no nut on the broken end, but there is a nut on the rod from the pedal to the bell crank, the "clutch push rod."

The numbers 5.160-3 is not a part number. Instead it is an index into the actual listings, with part numbers. If you had a parts catalog, this would be clear.

You are lucky - usually the release rod and adjuster are lost when the ball joint breaks.

https://www.mcmaster.com/products/rod-ends/
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Blockchain the vote.

Topic author
rurcon

Post by rurcon »

Thanks for the feedback. The ball joint on my release rod is still intact (second photo), it's the one on the other side of the bell crank (connected to the clutch push rod) that failed (first photo). I took the second photo because I noticed the adjuster just hanging there, but I see how it would have fallen out of the clutch fork if either ball joint failed.

Anyway, I definitely will NOT wait for the other ball joint to break, will replace both with heim joints. From the diagrams it looks like the ball joint connecting the clutch push rod to the bellcrank is threaded on -- is it a 7/16" thread?

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

Yes, 7/16"-20 IIRC. The CJ parts are 3/8"-24. I used McMaster-Carr 60645K451 as I recall. As you suggest, I replaced the joint on the bottom end of the push rod as well as the joint on the release rod, using the same part at both locations. The upper joint should be ok, since it's up in the dash and protected from the elements.

Looks like the broken joint allowed the release rod end to go over-center and the adjuster to fall out of the throwout lever. It's only held together by the return spring.

I'd mention - my J10 came to me with a bolt through the release rod end. You could drill through the existing broken end and put a bolt through there. It'll work for now.
Tim Reese
Blockchain the vote.

Topic author
rurcon

Post by rurcon »

Thanks Tim -- any reason you didn't go with the sealed version? 6058K261

It doesn't have as much swivel (35-deg vs 44-deg on 60645K451), but having that joint sealed up does seem like a good idea given how exposed they are.
McMaster-heim-joints.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

Maybe because it looks too much like the original part that always fails? Stuff from McMaster-Carr seems uniformly high quality - probably fine.
Tim Reese
Blockchain the vote.

threepiece

Post by threepiece »

Years ago the rod between the clutch fork and bellcrank fell off my J10 in deep snow in the dark. I fitted two 3/8” drive extensions from my tool box to get me home. The female end on the remaining ball, male end in the socket of the fork. Used it like that for weeks until I fixed it right.

You could have still driven your truck home without the use of the clutch if you were able to start it in first gear. The transmission is synchronized.
I used to name my FSJ’s after their previous owners, I realized I had too many with five named Rick.

Dang raccoons again!

Rust is a color too.