Starter Solenoid Sticking?

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
CBJoe

Starter Solenoid Sticking?

Post by CBJoe »

Had issue the other day when I tried to start jeep and it kept cranking even after I let go of key......luckily it didn't actually fire before it stopped. Kind of panicked and jiggled the hell out of the Ignition Lock and it stopped.

Next Day I replaced the turn signal switch and the ignition lock which I had already ordered a while ago. When I put the cable back on battery started immediately started cranking with no key in it :x

So I thought starter solenoid was faulty....replaced it and all seemed well for 3-4 days. I just went out and tried to start jeep...cranked VERY slow like battery was dead and kept slow cranking even when I turned key off. I've got the battery on a charger now as it was indeed dead.

This sure sounds like a 12V short of some sort with the starter wire from key yes? I'm going out tonight to trace down things.

1976 Cherokee Chief w/ 360
PowerMaster XS High Torque Starter installed a year ago
power/starter wire (green) connected to S on Solenoid
Positive battery terminal run to solenoid....other solenoid post directly to starter.

cant think of what else would cause the solenoid to stay on when key off

thanks, Joe
1976 Cherokee Chief / Stock Q-Trac, Stock 360

tgreese

Re: Starter Solenoid Sticking?

Post by tgreese »

If the problem is not in the starter solenoid, you can stop the cranking by pulling the small wire off the top of the solenoid.

What kind of ignition do you have, the original Prestolite? If so, the factory solenoid only has one small terminal on the top that is labeled "S?"

Has the wiring been messed with? The wire to energize the solenoid should be light blue, circuit 14 on the wiring diagram. Pretty simple - there is a light blue wire from the ignition switch to the neutral safety switch, and then to the solenoid. The ground for the solenoid coil is through the bracket to the fender steel. The ignition switch gets power by a 12 ga red wire from a big splice under the dash that's connected through the ammeter directly to the battery. Not a lot of devices in that circuit.

Measure voltage from the small wire to ground. If that's the problem, there is only one supply of voltage to that wire - the ignition switch. The NSS is just a switch - it has no supply of power on its own.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

Topic author
CBJoe

Post by CBJoe »

Thanks tgreese,

Its a DUI HEI ignition installed last year. I have messed with the wiring in the past when doing the ammeter bypass. But nothing wiring wise has been messed with recently and this is my daily driver.

I've traced the light blue wire and cannot find any issue so far. It gets 12V when turning the key full on (like to start) and properly drops the 12V when it springs back. Can find no shorts to ground so far....solenoid ground to chassis is also verified

The issue is not consistent. With the Key in the ON position with power to dash and gauges i've been going around and doing the wire giggle test and cannot seem to reproduce. I may have to monitor and if it happens again will pull the ignition wire and verify it actually stops.

Joe

tgreese wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 3:09 pm If the problem is not in the starter solenoid, you can stop the cranking by pulling the small wire off the top of the solenoid.

What kind of ignition do you have, the original Prestolite? If so, the factory solenoid only has one small terminal on the top that is labeled "S?"

Has the wiring been messed with? The wire to energize the solenoid should be light blue, circuit 14 on the wiring diagram. Pretty simple - there is a light blue wire from the ignition switch to the neutral safety switch, and then to the solenoid. The ground for the solenoid coil is through the bracket to the fender steel. The ignition switch gets power by a 12 ga red wire from a big splice under the dash that's connected through the ammeter directly to the battery. Not a lot of devices in that circuit.

Measure voltage from the small wire to ground. If that's the problem, there is only one supply of voltage to that wire - the ignition switch. The NSS is just a switch - it has no supply of power on its own.

Topic author
CBJoe

Post by CBJoe »

well....try as I might I can not find any issue. Also pulled the gauge cluster to inspect wiring and see if I could find any shorts or damage. No sign. I cannot get 12V to register on the light blue wire unless full crank on ignition cylinder.

Somethings going on to have drained the battery last night...Trying to get a full charge back on the battery, but it may not be taking a full charge :( its going on 4 years old. Who knows...maybe I just got a bad replacement starter solenoid out of box.

Joe

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

One time this happened to me it was the ignition switch itself causing the issue.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Topic author
CBJoe

Post by CBJoe »

Thanks stuka...at this point that's the one item I haven't replaced. I just pulled and inspected it...looks fine but I'll probably pick one up and replace for good measure

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

devildog80

Post by devildog80 »

Had same issue with my '84 GW, when thinking the starter I got it with was "ok", after sitting so long it still cranked over.

Replaced the starter and no more troubles.....

Just a thought
'81 CJ5 Base, 258 I6, MC2100, T176 4 spd, 300 TC, D30 Front NT, 3.31, 2-Piece AMC 20 rear NT, 3.31, 4" high arc spring lift
'84 Grand Wagoneer, 401 V8 (.030 over), MC2150 HA Comp, 727 auto, Selec-trac NP229, AMC 20 REAR - D44 FRONT - WT 3.31, 4" high arc spring lift
Rather be driving, than waiting to be modified

rocklaurence
Vendor

Post by rocklaurence »

I have had a low battery weld the contacts on a solenoid. Low voltage equals higher amps. So, if the contacts keep failing maybe its a low battery or failing starter pulling high amps.

Topic author
CBJoe

Post by CBJoe »

So at this point the issue has not reoccurred after all the fiddling.

Has new battery, starter solenoid, ignition switch, and i've verified as much of the wiring as I can. I'm hoping all is resolved, but I think at a minimum I can close this thread out to another one I made about something killing the battery. Hopefully that is resolved as well at this point. viewtopic.php?t=23597

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Will keep my fingers crossed for you :)
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Srdayflyer

Post by Srdayflyer »

have you checked the switch located at the base of the steering column, the key switch/lock is only that, when you turn the key a rod moved a start contact switch at the base of the column, id check that out , its inly 40-50 years old and probably has about 50 bazillion contact cycles

Topic author
CBJoe

Post by CBJoe »

Yes....this was the last thing I have replaced. The issue has not reoccurred since.