EV Conversions

Modified FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
sierrablue

Re: EV Conversions

Post by sierrablue »

Yeller wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 9:40 am have any repairs made on your BMW or Merc, its crazy expensive. Most of those repairs on not to the engine......

I love the technology, but until we have a better solution than current battery technology, our govt needs to stop shoving it down our throat like it's the second coming. That is unless we are willing to allow those elements to be mined here. Which at the moment they are not. Until they build something that I can drive for 800 mile jaunts with 10 minute fuels stops every 400 miles, be more comfortable than my living room recliner, and tow my 15,000# trailer I'm out. Tech has a long way to go.
That's for you personally. What about for your average American, who doesn't need to be able to do that? What about for the trail rigs you're towing? They don't need a massive range and would give you INSTANT torque and everything. And the tech is there for what you want, but most people doing that also won't be shelling out $150k for their tow truck. They're making electric semis that have a decent range I would hope you could make something work for yourself.

Why mine them here unless we had to, if the dirt is already all torn up somewhere else? Idc too much if they decide to start mining it in the US because nobody's mining it but why scar a place for it when somewhere else is already opened up? That would be incredibly wasteful. If the government shoves Li-Ion battery RECYCLING down our throats like you say they're doing with EVs (all I've seen is setting goals to stop building combustion stuff, and incentivizing the purchase of an EV, as well as expanding the infrastructure everybody keeps whining about being inadequate), and like they did with lead acid batteries back in the early 20th century, then we won't have the waste from them and we won't have to mine any more lithium than we need to make a bunch of batteries.

Additionally, if we stop wasting our precious metals on dumb things like Fbreeze air fresheners and dumb stuff like that, we won't need to mine anywhere near as much. Probably not Lithium in there but they use mother boards and the stupid thing gets tossed after like a month. Just an example but they're stupid.

Also, that's true of your truck that you use to go long distances and haul stuff with. What about your truck that you drive on a daily basis around home? That needs what, like a 200 mile range, tops?
Last edited by sierrablue on Mon Jun 05, 2023 8:38 pm, edited 3 times in total.
'71 Wagoneer (DD)
-B350 (HEI, iron 4-barrel, Edelbrock 1406), TH400, D20
-'74 D44 front (nonpower discs)
-custom headliner
-Front shoulder belts (rears eventually)

viewtopic.php?t=23070

There are 2 major differences between new Wranglers and FSJs. FSJs are meant to be both utilitarian and capable, not just capable. FSJs are also rarely initially recognized as Jeeps by the average American.

Topic author
sierrablue

Post by sierrablue »

SJTD wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 11:40 am Not to mention an adequate power infrastructure.
There are camp sites everywhere, and if you hook it into two different 110V outlets, suddenly you have 220 and can get it all charged up in a hurry. Also Tesla just got forced to open up their charging system to everybody else because it was too monopolistic.
'71 Wagoneer (DD)
-custom headliner

viewtopic.php?t=23070

There are 2 major differences between new Wranglers and FSJs. FSJs are meant to be both utilitarian and capable, not just capable. FSJs are also rarely initially recognized as Jeeps by the average American.

SJTD

Post by SJTD »

Maybe. BIG maybe. Depends how they're wired.

But I was referring to the whole power grid. This country has barely adequate power generation for current needs.
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Topic author
sierrablue

Post by sierrablue »

SJTD wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 4:12 pm Maybe. BIG maybe. Depends how they're wired.

But I was referring to the whole power grid. This country has barely adequate power generation for current needs.
Not really--reading the EV forums it's a super easy and common thing. Your end of things the adapter/plug just has to be wired in series.

We still live here and use electricity and such. That's a problem either way; not sure how it's an EV problem. That needs fixed regardless.
'71 Wagoneer (DD)
-custom headliner

viewtopic.php?t=23070

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Also, most power is used during the day. Most EV charging happens at night. Studies have already shown there is not currently a power generation issue.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Srdayflyer

Post by Srdayflyer »

agreed ev tech, has a long way to go before i jump on board

Topic author
sierrablue

Post by sierrablue »

Srdayflyer wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 8:08 pm agreed ev tech, has a long way to go before i jump on board
OK, and that's fine, but that doesn't make it the wrong thing for somebody else to go that route, nor does it make it the wrong thing for the government to be pushing it. It means that it's not right for you, and that's fine, but that doesn't apply to everyone, just like the government's pushing them doesn't apply to every situation.
'71 Wagoneer (DD)
-custom headliner

viewtopic.php?t=23070

threepiece

Post by threepiece »

I usually don’t get carried away with conversations of this nature for one reason. For me the issue is one of abuse.

History has shown me that people in general are short sighted and selfish. We as a whole have managed to abuse virtually every resource that is available. Brushing our teeth while the faucet is running, racing our vehicles to the next red light and disposing paper towels that are often less than 50% soiled are only three examples of many.

I have little faith that any new source of energy or a new way of doing something will fix any social, economic or environmental problems. What I do see is a shift of focus from the core values of forums like this and another group of empowered corporations emerging, ready, willing and able to influence the masses.
I used to name my FSJ’s after their previous owners, I realized I had too many with five named Rick.

Dang raccoons again!

Rust is a color too.

SJTD

Post by SJTD »

sierrablue wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 4:58 pm
SJTD wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 4:12 pm Maybe. BIG maybe. Depends how they're wired.

Not really--reading the EV forums it's a super easy and common thing. Your end of things the adapter/plug just has to be wired in series.

We still live here and use electricity and such. That's a problem either way; not sure how it's an EV problem. That needs fixed regardless.
You need to understand how AC wiring works before making blanket statements. I'm sure a genuine Licensed Electrician will find fault with the following but I don't think there's anything incorrect.

In general you have three wires going into the house, one of those is the neutral or grounded conductor. You will note that that one is likely uninsulated. If you measure between either of the insulated conductors and that one you will find 120V. Between the other two you will measure 240V.

Inside your box you will note that the grounded conductor becomes the white wire the others become red and black. They then go through breakers and on to the outlets or lights. Now IF you find an outlet powered by the red leg and one powered by the black you could jump between them and get 240. In many houses you will find the lights are on the red leg and the outlets on the black. Maybe whole rooms, lights and outlets, on one leg. Idunno but in my houses it's been all lights and all outlets.

The exception has been in the laundry room where one a single outlet is split so the washer and dryer are on separate legs.

I forgot you were talking campsites. What if your two outlets are on the same leg?

I don't think you'll get a very satisfactory charge rate by jumping between two 20 amp outlets.

Go Nukes!
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Topic author
sierrablue

Post by sierrablue »

On all the houses I've seen, white is positive, black is negative, and bare is ground.

In series vs in parallel is still the same regardless of AC vs DC, at least according to what I've read and experienced. The bare wire is just for protection in case the device or something gets a short in it, isn't it?
'71 Wagoneer (DD)
-custom headliner

viewtopic.php?t=23070

SJTD

Post by SJTD »

There's no "positive" and "negative" in an AC system. There're two hot and the neutral grounded conductor which should be white. I if you look at the voltage on a 'scope you see the hot conductor is alternating in a nice sine wave. Maybe in very old systems there's only one hot and the neutral and you aren't going to get 240 out of that. Oldest place I've lived in was from '37 and it was 3 wire.

If the white isn't grounded the wiring was done wrong. Peruse the NEC. Don't confuse hose wiring with your car wiring where the black is generally the ground. And don't confuse the grounded conductor in an AC system with the ground in a DC system.

In houses wired with Romex maybe it's legal not to carry the red/black convention through the whole house but if so it's a crappy way to do it.

Again, red to white or black to white is 120. Red to black is 240.
Sic friatur crustulum

Topic author
sierrablue

Post by sierrablue »

I know the current goes both ways--thus the term "alternating" current.
'71 Wagoneer (DD)
-custom headliner

viewtopic.php?t=23070

1978J10REDWHITE

Post by 1978J10REDWHITE »

HYBRID is superior al the way around. Can go far more miles , less home or station recharge time and the bondages to that aspect of needing your home to recharge or find a station somewhere.

I yaked w someone about their New Tundra EV. From a dead recharge at home was about 8 hours long.
The regular recharge was 2-4 hours, depending, his Limited miles were 175 out 175 back.(350 miles) Now that battery is new, over time degrades too!

Towing these as a pure EV vehicle, has a whole new set of issues.
ELEC costs to recharge battery is loosing ground for it being a tradeoff.

Being it's self made, the sourcing batteries and parts, definitely spendy".
If a HYBRID, will be a challenge yet doable, to MFG and adapt components and things, all the connection points to the transmission or TC box.
Control modules, gauges etc will be a lengthy process to set up.
Figuring out the wiring make all thing sing in unison.
I would primarily consider HYBRID setup.

As far as the eco friendly side is a whole NEW understanding the realities of things.

Topic author
sierrablue

Post by sierrablue »

As I've been doing more research and such, I think that right now what the auto manufacturers should be doing is making gas or diesel electrics now--it shuts off when it's not using power, gets 75+ mpg on a big truck because you let the engine sit in its sweet spot all day long.

I don't want to deal with lithium ions just because of their fire potential. I like my Jeep too much for that.

In the fire respect, hybrids are the absolute worst--gasoline issues AND the total devastation of the Li-Ion.
'71 Wagoneer (DD)
-custom headliner

viewtopic.php?t=23070

SJTD

Post by SJTD »

I don't watch TV so I have a question that's somewhat relevant.

With this hot weather and all are they asking people not to charge their EV's in the afternoon along with raising their AC setting?
Sic friatur crustulum

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

SJTD wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 7:59 am I don't watch TV so I have a question that's somewhat relevant.

With this hot weather and all are they asking people not to charge their EV's in the afternoon along with raising their AC setting?
So far here in California, we have not been asked to do so. We have also not had any threads of rolling blackouts or anything.

Possibly because all of our hydro-electric dams are running at high capacity due to all the snow melt from this years crazy winter.

There have been several studies done on the impact of charging vehicles. Most EV owners charge overnight. And at night, there is also an excess amount of power available compared to the day. So there is not much of an impact on grid capacity. If everybody decided to charge at say, 2pm at peak heat, in the summer, it might be a different story. But as of yet, that has not been an issue. And we have more EV's than any state in the country. Currently, 21% of all new car sales here are either electric, or plug-in hybrids. We also have almost 14K public chargers.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ