Junkyard Find - nearly complete 89-90 GW w/Original Sand Seats, Leather-wrapped Steering Wheel, etc. - WooHoo!

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
Theodore

Carpet Update - Theodore - 1990 GW

Post by Theodore »

1990 Grand Wagoneer - Carpet Update - Theodore - 1990 GW

Before we get started, am happy to say we made it our first cruise-in of the year on Friday night. Prob 150-200 cars there, everything from the crowd favorite, a 1929 Packard in Black w/rumble seat and a small 3rd door meant to haul golf clubs. I had the only FSJ, which drew quite a few selfies.

On the way home, was a little low on gas, hand showed just above E; I daily drive it - generally quick trips to work & grocery store, but have never run it low enough to run out - til then. As a cruised by the last gas station on flat ground on the way to the house, it coughed & recovered so i kept going(found an intake leak last weekend, & have seen a few misfires lately)... for another 400-500 yards & started up a slight hill & cough/dead... Had enough momentum to turn into a parking lot & rolled thru to a stop. Engine restarted fine, & it's now have downhill to the gas station. Pulled out & accelerated to get enough momentum to make it w/fingers crossed; At about 100 yards left, the engine died & i coasted into the
station & up to the pump. Whew.

Now back to our regularly scheduled program:

Wheel wells were the hardest part of the carpet install - requires gluing with Contact Cement. & quite a bit of trimming to fit. Having never installed carpet before, i intentionally went slow to avoid mistakes. Used a few bricks wrapped in kraft paper to weigh it down in places & a few clamps to ensure a good bond.

Scrap from making the cargo underlayment came in handy

Roughing in the stainless ribs in the cargo area; these came from Jake's FSJ Junkyard in Burnsville, NC. Came up a few screws short as a few were usable due to nearly being rusted through. If you have a few spares, let me know.

While the glue was drying, it was time to work on one of the floormats. i'd ordered these last Summer, when i thought i'd be ready for carpet installation last Fall - opened & checked the color & closed them back up. Last weekend, i found that one of the new floormats had a drizzle of hot glue on it - great. Contacted the distributor to attempt an exchange, and was told it'd been too long - had 30 days for return/exchange, but manufacturer recommended removing it w/acetone. Used acetone on a paper towel & a toothpick to remove it. Happy to say, it cleaned it up.
Cleaned up really nice.

Mats installed

Cargo area

I didn't get a chance to install the stainless ribs yesterday, as i had to clean up rust on the backsides with rust dissolver, primer & paint. Paint is drying.

The quarter panel upholstery requires some sewing - will have to find a shop to help with that. Will post up a picture for others, as i expected these panels would be sewed similar to the cargo mat.

Overall i'm ecstatic with the results. Having never installed carpet before, the installation was challenging given the change for error & satisfying as each stage was done. Best advice, take your time & work from the middle to the edges; trim sparingly - you can always take more off, but you can't add back. Used paintable Weldwood Contact Cement for the wheel wells; i'd recommend it over 3M Super Trim Adhesive sprayable for a few reasons: 1) the sprayable didn't stick very well, 2) spraying requires masking & the risk of getting glue where you don't want it.
1990 Grand Wagoneer - "Theodore" - AMC 360, fuel-injected, TF727, NP229 - Sand Metallic - restoring to stock - Build Thread

Scotty54

Re: Junkyard Find - nearly complete 89-90 GW w/Original Sand Seats, Leather-wrapped Steering Wheel, etc. - WooHoo!

Post by Scotty54 »

Wow! Looks great! Are you going to have to modify the rear seat to fit onto the raised area?

Where is the cruise in Kingsport? I have been to the weekly cruise in downtown Elizabethton numerous times, always a big turnout. There was a 2nd cruise in Elizabethton last Saturday, held at a local car dealership. It attracted mostly ricers and coal burners, a few hot rods and late model muscle cars. The classics stayed with the downtown event.
1977 Cherokee Chief 401 QT
Northeast Tennessee

Topic author
Theodore

Re: Junkyard Find - nearly complete 89-90 GW w/Original Sand Seats, Leather-wrapped Steering Wheel, etc. - WooHoo!

Post by Theodore »

Scotty54 wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 9:53 am Wow! Looks great! Are you going to have to modify the rear seat to fit onto the raised area?

Where is the cruise in Kingsport? I have been to the weekly cruise in downtown Elizabethton numerous times, always a big turnout. There was a 2nd cruise in Elizabethton last Saturday, held at a local car dealership. It attracted mostly ricers and coal burners, a few hot rods and late model muscle cars. The classics stayed with the downtown event.
I don’t believe I’ll have to modify anything for the back seat to go in.

On the cruise-in: it’s every Friday night from April thru October at the Kingsport Pavilion Shopping Center, where Target is located on 11-W.
1990 Grand Wagoneer - "Theodore" - AMC 360, fuel-injected, TF727, NP229 - Sand Metallic - restoring to stock - Build Thread

Topic author
Theodore

Post by Theodore »

Back with this weekend's interior update. First off, kudos to rang-a-stang on ifsja, who recommended that the carpet be installed under the trim strip at the back & to install the side trim before installing the stainless ribs to prevent the carpet from curling up. Having never had carpet in the cargo area before, i wasn't sure how to go about it & would've installed the ribs first & wasn't sure whether the carpet went under the rear trim strip or not. Pulled the rear trim strip & cleaned & polished it the best i could in prep for carpet installation; looks much better.

With rear trim strip installed: Packages contain leftover parts headed for a couple fellow members.

Had to repair a couple of the backing boards. Fortunately, the material was still there & i was able to goop on contact cement & keep it separated by toothpicks to dry. Stuck the sides together & hold with a spring clamp. Also, dabbed contact cement into each hole to stiffen each one up, as some of the material was starting to delaminate.

Once repaired & set, i went back over each hole with kraft paper from a grocery bag; which helped the clips hold better & gave the tacky glue something from before something to stick to.

Glue drying on the left side panel. Panel looks terrible from water stains, but it works.

Kraft paper patches visible in this pic:

Moving along - attach carpet to panels. I did the gluing in 4 steps:
1) Flip the vinyl trim around & test fit the backer board. Had to trim this board slightly to round off a couple corners to fit. Fortunately, i'd picked up this backer from Jake's FSJ Junkyard in Burnsville, NC, a couple years ago, as the holes in mine were completely blown out.
2) Glue the carpet to the backer, leaving the vinyl trim for step 3
3) Glue the vinyl trim down
4) Staple with 1/4" staples

Once glued, The vinyl trim will curl up, so used small cardboard spacers to keep the 2 parts separate while the glue dries.

Stapled & Ready for installation - Back
Front

First piece installed

Second piece installed - still need to cut the finger & speaker holes; am waiting for the glue to dry.

2 down, 2 to go.

Topic author
Theodore

Post by Theodore »

Have started a Build Thread to consolidate work done - didn't realize i would need one when we got the GW. All future updates will be made here: viewtopic.php?t=15766

Thanks for following along.

Topic author
Theodore

Post by Theodore »

Finally got a Build Thread together; updates will be provided there:

Greetings from East Tennessee! - 1990 Grand Wagoneer - Theodore - Build Thread

Thanks for following along.