Vintage Air new Gen5-magnum

Area for stock and aftermarket air conditioning.

Topic author
sonoraed
Vendor

Vintage Air new Gen5-magnum

Post by sonoraed »

https://www.vintageair.com/new-gen5-magnum-system/

New version of the magnum series, gen 4 will be out of production soon, gen5 has a molded case with a block type expansion valve, bigger blower motor,about the same size so will fit out FSJ's, same controls as gen4,I have the gen5 in stock if you need one now.

SJTD

Re: Vintage Air new Gen5-magnum

Post by SJTD »

One wonders if it will fit in the same space as the IV. Looks the same other than the A/C outlets.

Will the new blower fit the IV?

Seem a little earlier for me to worry about it since mine isn't on the road yet.
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

SJTD

Post by SJTD »

Yes, I noted "about the same size". So if one had built the IV into the dash with 1/4" clearance between the servo and the wiper linkage and nearly touching the firewall it would fit?
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Topic author
sonoraed
Vendor

Post by sonoraed »

SJTD wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 3:54 pm Yes, I noted "about the same size". So if one had built the IV into the dash with 1/4" clearance between the servo and the wiper linkage and nearly touching the firewall it would fit?
I saw the Gen 5 at Sema last November and was told size of evaporator would be the same as Gen 4, the blower motor used on the standard Gen 5 is the same as the old Gen 4, but Vintage Air is offering a "Super" Gen 5 which does have a bigger blower motor, at this time I don't have any detail on the "Super" other than the link supplied which show how much bigger the super blower is.

Topic author
sonoraed
Vendor

Post by sonoraed »

Talked to my Vintage Air Rep yesterday about the size and difference between the old Gen 4 and new Gen 5, he is telling the two are close to the same size and you could use the Gen 4 mock up but the mounting brackets are totally different, so if you are building might want to take look at the new unit.
I have a Gen 5 in stock and could unbox it and take pictures if needed.

SJTD

Post by SJTD »

Thanks for the additional info, no need to open it up for me. Like I said, haven't even gotten what I have running yet to see if it's adequate. Just my nature to be always looking at the newest and improvest. Another reason this thing isn't finished yet.
Sic friatur crustulum

Topic author
sonoraed
Vendor

Post by sonoraed »

SJTD wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 9:07 am Thanks for the additional info, no need to open it up for me. Like I said, haven't even gotten what I have running yet to see if it's adequate. Just my nature to be always looking at the newest and improvest. Another reason this thing isn't finished yet.
I can relate, took me and my son six years to build my J10.

Topic author
sonoraed
Vendor

Post by sonoraed »

Just talked to my Vintage Air rep, the Gen 4 magnum is no longer available, and replaced by the Gen 5 Magnum, list price is $995.00 plus freight/tax and during the summer there is a 4-5 week lead time before they can ship.
The big difference between the 4 and 5 is how the 5 is mounted, if you are doing a clean firewall this could be an issue, other big change is the 5 has a block valve instead of expansion valve hopefully this will make running hoses thru the firewall easier.

jTime

Post by jTime »

Was just looking at the AC options for my 1980 j10 and saw that you cannot buy the Gen4 kit. How exactly is the Gen5 mounted? I don't think having a clean firewall is something I would be worried about, but not sure I am tracking.

Topic author
sonoraed
Vendor

Post by sonoraed »

Good Morning, Vintage Air doesn't make a kit for FSJ's, so most everyone has used a universal Gen IVMagnum and then added what ever vent and control package they felt like.
The Gen V is close enough to the Gen IV to still make this generally true, Gen V mounts differently and uses a block expansion, to see the details go to VA's website and enter part# 675100 here you can see the details you need to know.
For a 91 FSJ you can modify the original control head to work with the Gen V, I have pictures of how I did this to my 86 dashboard in my 79 J10.I have pictures of my control head if interested.
For dash vents the simple thing is to install a #492000-vua and paint to match.
Cheers

Tan79

Post by Tan79 »

Ed, I'm at the point where I need to start buying parts for my vintage air install. Could you help me order/sell what I need? Gen v magnum possibly super magnum going in a 79 cherokee with a 5.3l ls.
1979 cherokee- bjs 6" lift, 37" tires, rear Dana 60, HD 44 front, custom bumpers.
Soon to be lm7/4l60e/np241c with sye

Topic author
sonoraed
Vendor

Post by sonoraed »

No problem would be glad to help as much as I can, just send me details (i.e. pictures,year,engine etc) at edsunday@customautoair.com.
After making several hose kits for oem type installs would avoid the original style of condenser/drier the top line (discharge)is to close to hood latch and oem drier has no provision for switch port.

Cheers, Ed