Newer flex plate in Older GW mistake

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
AlexJordan22

Newer flex plate in Older GW mistake

Post by AlexJordan22 »

I made a mistake and I'm looking for solutions. I installed a used 727 from a 1990 GW into my 1984 GW. I was not aware that the flex plate/starters changed sometime after 86. So now I need to install the newer style starter in my 84 to match up with the flexplate. The problem is that my 84 has the solenoid on the inner fender and the newer GWs have a relay. How can I make this work? Can I install the relay where my solenoid currently sits and make the wiring work?

I'm printing off wiring diagrams today to see what all is different. In my mind it would be easier (not really but you know what I mean) to remove the transmission again and install my old flexplate, but if I can fix this fairly easily then I'm open to it.
1984 Grand Wagoneer
1979 Mercury Zephyr Z7
1968 Mercury Cougar
2004 F-250
1994 Volvo 850 Wagon
2007 Hyundai Entourage

tgreese

Re: Newer flex plate in Older GW mistake

Post by tgreese »

Yeah, don't let your fear of the wiring diagrams convince you to pull the transmission again. Suggest you get your colored pencils, paper and eraser and trace out the wiring for the starter and solenoid on separate pieces of paper. The solenoid takes the current load of the starter motor off the switch - it's just a whomping big switch that's a slave to the smaller ignition switch.

Note that the solenoid may also bypass the resistance wire to the coil for hotter starting. There is also a blue/white wire to the ignition module that retards the timing for easier starting. I would expect both these circuits to be present in both versions.

Supposedly the later Mistubishi (?) starter that goes with the newer solenoid is an upgrade; you have that as an additional motivation to keeping your present flexplate! 8-)
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.