AC belts matching?

Area for stock and aftermarket air conditioning.

Topic author
letank

AC belts matching?

Post by letank »

finally had time for a test drive after the OE belts failed, for some reason they were chewed on the top end and were riding too deep in the groove to drive the compressor, yes they were squealing pretty bad with AC on. Bought a new set but could not find a matching set, and after 90min of highway driving the voltmeter dropped from 14.4 to 13.4v and 13.2 with AC on. Stopped at a local parts place to test the system, all good, my 13.4 is 13.8v, and yes the belts have stretched, I retighten them and ONE is more stretched than the other, and has turn less than the other, I aligned the label on installation.

So is there a way to find a matching pair of belts? I have the masterpro 7508 now. Probably should get Gates!

thank you
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

Mopar_guy

Re: AC belts matching?

Post by Mopar_guy »

Check with parts store like Napa but matched belts are hard to find and in only some sizes. My buddy runs twin belts on his Javelin for the A/C, alt and water pump. They last for about 3 years. They wear fast and sink in the pulleys causing the alt to slip just like yours. He keeps a spare set with him now. V belts now a days are garbage, as a lot of other replacement parts are.
83 Cherokee Laredo

Topic author
letank

Post by letank »

In the end the gates XL are doing the job, after a few hours, even is they are different, the compressor is happy. The 7508 are on the short side, but could be inserted.

Good point on planning to have a set in 3 years, thank you.
Michel

Mopar_guy

Post by Mopar_guy »

Just an FYI, CVF makes a nice serpentine system that's pretty reasonably priced. I have two friends that are considering buying them for their cars. https://www.cvfracing.com/other-makes/a ... e-systems/
83 Cherokee Laredo

Topic author
letank

Post by letank »

Mopar_guy wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 10:13 am Just an FYI, CVF makes a nice serpentine system that's pretty reasonably priced. I have two friends that are considering buying them for their cars. https://www.cvfracing.com/other-makes/a ... e-systems/
Thank you for the link, but "reasonably priced"... it depends on the definition of reason... 2 of Gates XL are about $35...
Michel