Ammeter

Area for General NON-Jeep related chat. Topics are typically not moderated, but must fall within the Use Guidelines.

Topic author
SJTD

Ammeter

Post by SJTD »

Anyone splain to me how this would work? https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08X4 ... 2O7P&psc=1

It appears that the probe is an inductive device rather than a shunt and so would only work with AC. Or am I remembering what little I learned about electrickery incorrectly being an ME?
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

tgreese

Re: Ammeter

Post by tgreese »

I'd guess - you can't sense the constant current by induction, but you can sense the differential current. This meter has to be an integrator, which adds up the changes in current. It's a stepper in the sense that the sense coil signal steps it up or down. There has to be more to it, since an op amp (passive) integrator depends on charging a capacitor, and a capacitor will eventually leak down. Considering how cheap CPUs are today, possible there is a digital algorithm in the meter that resets to zero when the key is off, and maybe other processing that integrates digitally, or something else fancy. coil -> op amp -> ADC -> CPU? Suspect it also connects to DC voltage which could be another input.

Might be a spinoff from solar panel charge tracking? I'd expect panels connected to batteries would invert to AC after charging the batteries as DC. One would want to measure the DC current output.
Last edited by tgreese on Wed Jan 17, 2024 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

Topic author
SJTD

Post by SJTD »

Yeah, I was hung up on induction.

Seems the DC probe works by measuring the hall voltage, whatever the heck that is, produced by the constant magnetic field from the DC current. Saw a neat Youtube where he was showing that for really low currents the probe had to be zeroed to cancel out the earth's magnetic field whenever it was reoriented.
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

will e

Post by will e »

I have a multimeter that inductively detects DC amps. Klein Tools CL800. I just used it on the Jeep to test draw for an on board air compressor and it was accurate.
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

will e

Post by will e »

Autometer makes one that also uses and Current Transducer.

https://www.autometer.com/pub/media/man ... 0-999X.pdf
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge