Confirming Emergency 4WD is Actually Engaged

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
Alleycat

Confirming Emergency 4WD is Actually Engaged

Post by Alleycat »

I bought a really well preserved 76' J20 equipped with "Emergency 4WD" which I realize is basically a center diff locker. This truck is almost 50 years old and I'm wondering if there is a way to determine if the locker is actually engaging. I'd like to find out now rather than getting stuck and finding out the hard way that the system is toast. After I replaced and correctly routed the vacuum lines, the Emergency 4wd light - lights up at the dash. But does that actually mean that the locker is engaged and functioning? I'm just considering the possibilty that over the course of the truck's 48 year life that some knucklehead could have engaged the system and driven for a while on hard pavement and trashed it. When I actuate the switch I hear a "swoosh" sound for just a second when the light comes on at the dash which I guess is a good sign.
1976 J20 w/ 360

Srdayflyer

Re: Confirming Emergency 4WD is Actually Engaged

Post by Srdayflyer »

the vacuum actuator is at the transfer case and i believe if i remember you should see the engagement shaft move so you should see if engagement occurs when selected, once engaged it stays in position (Engaged) until deselected loss of vacuum has no effect on disengagement till selected

Topic author
Alleycat

Post by Alleycat »

Very helpful - thanks!
1976 J20 w/ 360

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Another quick test is to make a sharp turn while in e-drive on gravel. If its in 4wd (e-drive) you will hear it wanting to spin the inside rear tire. It will do that because the rear tires travel a shorter distance, and with no slip between them, it has to make up the difference.

In regular AWD mode, the slip will typically not allow this, unless your clutch cones are maybe brand new and really tight.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

There is a procedure in the TSM for testing the center differential, the "torque bias test." I presume you understand that the unlocked differential is a sort-of limited slip differential (LSD) that lets the front and rear driveshafts slip wrt each other when driving on the street. You should also be able to compare the slipping mode with the locked mode using this same setup.

Also, the switch for the e-drive light is activated by a groove on the shifter shaft that moves the fork on the lockup hub. It would require an internal failure of the transfer case for the shifter shaft to move, light come on, and the hub not lock.
Last edited by tgreese on Tue Jan 16, 2024 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

Topic author
Alleycat

Post by Alleycat »

Thanks for additional great info
1976 J20 w/ 360

OldFarmTruck22

Post by OldFarmTruck22 »

You CANNOT see the vacuum pod shaft move at the transfer case on a 1339. The shaft is completely inside the T-case.
Get on some grass field or dirt road. Ride for a bit in the current position, notice how it feels when you make turns. Then put the transmission in neutral just to make it easy on the T-case, Turn the E-Drive dial all the way to the other direction and wait a couple seconds. Shift into drive, drive on the same loose surface and notice if you feel a difference. If it's working properly I promise you, you will feel a difference.
78 FSJ AMC 360 Quadratrac