Where is the Back-up light switch on '87 J10?

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
rocklaurence
Vendor

Where is the Back-up light switch on '87 J10?

Post by rocklaurence »

OK, Im a little tiff'd but Ill try to explain it. I would like to get my backup lights working and also tie-in a set of LED floods to the same circuit. However, Looking at OLjeep diagrams https://oljeep.com/gw/elec/86/86_FSJ_Wi ... age3-6.gif
it shows that C233 on the trans' is the switch. It's not-its the Neutral safety switch! In the same series of drawings under starter it shows the same switch-C233. So, I said self "could it be a multifunction switch because it has 3 wires on it". Ohming out the switch it shows the center pin grounds when close. Just like the Neutral safety should but I couldnt get the other two pins to change state. So, being the destructive type I am--I have to know what's inside, I cut the switch apart. I found that the other 2 outside pins are only guides for the plunger and they are not circuits. I would think that the switch would be in the steering column some where and is activated when the shifter is moved to Reverse. No?
Note: I have a floor B&M shifter now and if I can find the wires to the backup lamps I can wire them to the switch in the B&M.

seventynine

Re: Where is the Back-up light switch on '87 J10?

Post by seventynine »

If it’s a TF 727, the neutral safety switch and reverse lights are controlled from that switch (plug) on the trans.

TH-400’s had the NS on the column.
Dean

'79 J10
'77 Cherokee Chief
'79 CJ-7
'79 CJ-5
'46 CJ-2A
'93 ZJ Limted
'79 Cherokee Chief (traded for the J10)
'79 Wagoneer (RIP)
'13 FLSTN Softail Deluxe

candymancan

Post by candymancan »

The taillights and reverse lught on my 76 didnt work.. until i realized the hpusing itself is the ground on the bed.. Take them apart and clean up the lights and stuff and then see if it works.

Unless 87 is diff
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L Limited 219k
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 I6 laredo 430k
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 155k
1976 Jeep J10.. 85k(repaired)

Srdayflyer

Post by Srdayflyer »

i ran a separate switch to run a pair of aux driving lights that i can switch on and not be in reverse if i need lights of something else besides backing up, just a thought

if you want to run them off the back up lights just run a tap connector from the factory wires (power) and ground the lights at their point of attachment provided you have a good ground, then you inly have to run 2 power wires
Last edited by Srdayflyer on Sun Mar 03, 2024 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
rocklaurence
Vendor

Post by rocklaurence »

I see said the blind man. I went back to my dissected switch and it is a multi-contact switch. Functionality is this way: in neutral and park the pin contacts metal in the shift cog providing a ground. When in reverse the shift cog is plastic [no ground] and moves the same pin that has a little washer that closes the reverse circuit. However, I did find that the harness connector is bad and I need to order one from BJs. Hopefully this will be the only remaining issue.
seventynine wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 5:20 pm If it’s a TF 727, the neutral safety switch and reverse lights are controlled from that switch (plug) on the trans.

TH-400’s had the NS on the column.

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

Great if you want to patronize BJ's, but that's a commodity part: https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/jee ... ector,2602

Local parts store should be able to source that in a day or less.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

Topic author
rocklaurence
Vendor

Post by rocklaurence »

Dag-nab-it! Im still waiting on mine to arrive because Gig Harbor is as far away from me as possible in the continental US 8-)
tgreese wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 9:14 am Great if you want to patronize BJ's, but that's a commodity part: https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/jee ... ector,2602

Local parts store should be able to source that in a day or less.

Srdayflyer

Post by Srdayflyer »

if you want to run them off the back up lights just run a tap connector from the factory wires (power) and ground the lights at their point of attachment provided you have a good ground, then you inly have to run 2 power wires

Topic author
rocklaurence
Vendor

Post by rocklaurence »

This is why I need the Backup light circuit to work. I'm adding LEDs to the rear bumper of the shop truck https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PuzPikrbmpc