My ideas for a FSJ project

Modified FSJ Tech Area

devildog80

Re: My ideas for a FSJ project

Post by devildog80 »

Easily done when needed, as it is an expected task, and always carry my tools with when heading out for road trips. Even with my modern rigs, always have the tool box with.
Thanks, and back to your regularly scheduled programming......your build :)
'81 CJ5 Base, 258 I6, MC2100, T176 4 spd, 300 TC, D30 Front NT, 3.31, 2-Piece AMC 20 rear NT, 3.31, 4" high arc spring lift
'84 Grand Wagoneer, 401 V8 (.030 over), Edelbrock clone 1406, 727 auto, Selec-trac NP229, AMC 20 REAR - D44 FRONT - WT 3.31, 4" high arc spring lift
Rather be driving, than waiting to be modified

Topic author
I.P.F.

Post by I.P.F. »

Not to get in a argument here. I would agree with you under the condition of a properly maintained engine in a good state of tune. But add in normal wear carbon buildup that creates hot spots, and poor af raitios poor quality gasoline. To name a few and all that can cause extremely rapid pinging or premature combustion if you will. (And that can destroy a engine fast if allowed to continue). So you really only have the choice to retard the timing. Engines back in the day were almost and almost all were meeting those conditions. Add in 30 to 50 years of age. The poor quality of modern gasoline. And the fact if carbon build up on the tops of pistons and in the combustion chamber. You have effectively raised the compression ratio. And when pinging happens because of low octane fuel. What can you do but retard the timing a bit. When I was a pup you could almost buy real live race gas at the pump. There were engines that were built and sold with 12 to 1 to 13 to 1 compression ratios. Then add in the fact at altitude there is less oxygen that causes the mixture to go lean and that can cause pre combustion in its self. I’m not trying to say your wrong and I’m right. There is way to many variables. Thanks Bill

devildog80

Post by devildog80 »

There are many variables for sure, and yes fuel quality has badly decreased over the years, and does no justice to these old rigs. I found already I need to run premium gas, or I get pinging now at 1700 ft where I live, but heading into the mountains for one trip a year at 7500 ft. Only driving is to get there, then get back, so will see how it goes when making that maiden voyage, probably next year or so. Still some work to do on the old girl, fine tuning the engine/some electricals/steering/transmission /radio/speakers/etc, before my wife will let me take it for an actual outing.
Plans are to go visit another Jeep forum member that lives up that direction @ 5000 ft, to see how the truck does on its own, before hooking up and towing even our 16 ft Scamp.
'81 CJ5 Base, 258 I6, MC2100, T176 4 spd, 300 TC, D30 Front NT, 3.31, 2-Piece AMC 20 rear NT, 3.31, 4" high arc spring lift
'84 Grand Wagoneer, 401 V8 (.030 over), Edelbrock clone 1406, 727 auto, Selec-trac NP229, AMC 20 REAR - D44 FRONT - WT 3.31, 4" high arc spring lift
Rather be driving, than waiting to be modified

Topic author
I.P.F.

Post by I.P.F. »

Way back in the day when folks were just starting out with turbocharging car engines. Myself included. One thing that was experimented with to help cure pre ignition was water alcohol injection. It helped but was controlled by micro switches on the throttle. So it was only at wide open throttle. The two reasons that it helped was first it cooled the combustion chamber, and by doing so it helped eliminate hot spots. The other benefit was it cleaned carbon deposits out of the combustion chamber. And that helped. But we also learned ignition timing was critical. Nowadays it’s very easy to turbo a engine and make big power. With the use of programs that control the fuel curve. And control timing, most modern engines have knock sensors and they will adjust the timing by the readings of the knock sensors. And that is what makes it so easy to turbo charge modern engines. As the computer has controll of all of these functions. Plus the additional cooling function of aftercoolers it super easy to turbo a car or pickup. Now back to the old stuff. So we have to Mack adjustments to compensate for changes in altitude or other problems. That come from a multitude of sources. If you are not pulling you trailer and only going to 5,000 feet you my not have any problems. But say you were pulling you trailer and going out west and got up if elevations over 8,000 ft. That’s a whole different animal Bill

akguy09

Post by akguy09 »

I live @ 6800 feet above sea level and have no issues, 87 octane and no pinging. 12-13 degrees of base timing.
1979 Jeep J-10 304/T-18
2017 Jeep JK 2DR
2021 PowerWagon

Topic author
I.P.F.

Post by I.P.F. »

Akguy I assume your from Alaska I could be wrong if so it’s my fault. I never said it would happen. Rather what has happened to me and others I know and to just be on the look out for it and there is so many variables that can cause it. I tried to point some of them out. There are others. Driving style is but just one. I am sorry if it sounded like I said it will happen that’s my mistake. But it can and does with older engines. Most noteably when changing elevations very rapidly. And at high loads and low rpm. It’s a interesting discussion for sure. And I would like to hear other people’s thoughts. Thanks Bill

akguy09

Post by akguy09 »

I actually live in Colorado
1979 Jeep J-10 304/T-18
2017 Jeep JK 2DR
2021 PowerWagon

Topic author
I.P.F.

Post by I.P.F. »

I didn’t get anything done this weekend that I wanted to. Partly because Oklahoma’s climate decided it was time to play. They blew the whistle for a twister just north of us. Turned out it was just upper level rotation. Nothing like what happened south of us. After that got over I made a trip to town. And on the way back I got hit by hail in my Chevy pick up. And and during the weather event my wife and I were moving my daughter to a new place as her and her boyfriend split up. Then we were without power a good little while. So I didn’t get to go look at the donor trucks or get to the yard to get aluminum for my ping tanks. This by no means is meant to lessen what happened in Sulphur ok or or anywhere else that got hit by tornadoes. So far the death toll is 4 in Oklahoma and 1 in Missouri. And my heart goes out to those who have suffered real loss. I’ll update my progress when I have some. Bill