HELP WITH WINDOWS

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
JERSEY JOE

HELP WITH WINDOWS

Post by JERSEY JOE »

MY PASSENGER SIDE WINDOW WILL NOT GO UP ALL THE WAY. IT'S SHORT BY ABOUT 3/8 OF AN INCH AND I HAVE IT CRANKED TIGHT. IDEAS?

Srdayflyer

Re: HELP WITH WINDOWS

Post by Srdayflyer »

was it always like that? or did it just start being that way
does the window appear to be level front to rear or does it look cocked, if its cocked its most likely binding that last bit, or the window regulator shifted but very unlikely as the screws have star lock washers, but pull the door panel and investigate the window regulator and the operation where you can actually see whats going on, if the seal tracks are shot and the window rattles in the seal track that doesnt help matters either.i would suggest removing the regulator solvent was it good to get the 40+ year old grease and dirt out re-lube it and install and adjust the regulator and window, but at a minimum pull the door panel and look at the regulator, or have superman swoop by and give it a good x-ray scan

W300

Post by W300 »

I have this same issue after replacing the belt strips. Window channel contacts the belt strip when rolling it up, but I think it's because I missed a clip when installing so they aren't pulled all the way tight to the lip of the door. You could pull the belt strips, then see how it does.
1972 Wagoneer
360, TH400, D20, Limited Slip
PTO Winch

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

"Cranked tight?" Wondering if these are manual or electric windows. Seems likely they are electric. No experience with electrics, but the belt strip only applies to them IIRC. Seems to be a common trouble with these units. Seems clear you can't avoid removing the door cards and looking in there.

For manual windows, I'd make sure the glass is sitting square in the frame. I don't think there's much that can go wrong here. Possibly the roller could come out of the track at the bottom of the glass ... but then I'd expect the glass to fall to the bottom of the door eventually if not immediately.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

W300

Post by W300 »

Mines a manual crank. I meant the window wipes that clip into each side of the door. One hangs out to far and prevents the window frame from going all the way up.
1972 Wagoneer
360, TH400, D20, Limited Slip
PTO Winch

Topic author
JERSEY JOE

Post by JERSEY JOE »

manual windows they are level to the top of the door frame. I will remove the regulator and see if it goes up then I can tell if its a restriction or in the regulator

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

I have found that rust/corrosion in the channel glued to the bottom of the glass can stop the window from fully raised. The swollen steel channel interferes with the window wipes.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.