Column shift for LQ9/4L80E swap

Modified FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
RunsWithScissors

Column shift for LQ9/4L80E swap

Post by RunsWithScissors »

I've seen a lot of 6.0 vortec swaps with 4l80e's and floor shifters. is it possible to rig up a column shift?

Jerry Blair

Re: Column shift for LQ9/4L80E swap

Post by Jerry Blair »

http://fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=767

Jeff used the factory column shift in his build. His stock transmission was a Turbo400. I plan to use the factory column in mine as well. I am about a week away from dropping the engine, however.

(edit: I just noticed you asked about the 4l80e. For reference Jeff and I are both using the 4l60e.)

jamesdart

Post by jamesdart »

Is it the same shift pattern as a 700r4? I have the column shifter with my 700r4. It won't go into 1st which I guess you can live with but it sucks for wheelin sometimes climbing hills it will shift from 1-2 and in 4 low it's a pretty hard shift.

TrenchFoot

Post by TrenchFoot »

GM used the same style column used in FSJs in their vans through the 80s or early 90s and has a 4 position column shifter they used with a 700r4. There may even be some vans with a 4L80e. It's not a direct swap because of lengths and angles, but I understand that you can marry the two columns and end up with what you're looking for.

It sounds straightforward to swap the parts over and rebuild you current column. Maybe more complex depending on modifying the linkage for a 700r4 to work with a 4L80e. But you might get lucky and find a donor van that had a 4L80e and just use the stock linkage. IFSJA member Neo turned me on to this, he put a 700r4 in as part of a 6.2L diesel swap and got an indicator that shows OD-D-2-1.
'78 Waggy: 401/QT pulling the rust down the road. 6.2L +turbo waiting in the wings.

The PIG Smith

Post by The PIG Smith »

TrenchFoot wrote:GM used the same style column used in FSJs in their vans through the 80s or early 90s and has a 4 position column shifter they used with a 700r4. There may even be some vans with a 4L80e. It's not a direct swap because of lengths and angles, but I understand that you can marry the two columns and end up with what you're looking for.

It sounds straightforward to swap the parts over and rebuild your current column. Maybe more complex depending on modifying the linkage for a 700r4 to work with a 4L80e. But you might get lucky and find a donor van that had a 4L80e and just use the stock linkage. IFSJA member Neo turned me onto this, he put a 700r4 in as part of a 6.2L diesel swap and got an indicator that shows OD-D-2-1.
I've not heard this before that a van steering column would swap in a FSJ.
I went out and looked at my 1993 GMC 3500 cargo van at took some pics.
My van has a 4L80E.
After looking at it some...I dunno how it would ever swap in.
I need an education from those that have completed this swap of how this was accomplished.

Bryan Smith
Fort Wayne, Indiana
2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
- 75th Anniversary Edition - 1941 Trim Package - Recon Green --Daily Driver
1986 Jeep J20
- Super clean rig from the AZ/CA state line -- Current Project
1982 Jeep J10
- Has become a Long Term Project.
1981 Jeep J20
- Commercial flat bed - Lost in a Divorce --gone
1987 Jeep J20 Pioneer
- Former Rick Bielec aka Ricbee plow rig. Major rust!! --gone

IFSJA Member #1933 Joined November 30, 2001

jamesdart

Post by jamesdart »

I was curious about a chevy truck, they started using the 700r4 in them in the 80s.

TrenchFoot

Post by TrenchFoot »

The PIG Smith wrote:I need an education from those that have completed this swap of how this was accomplished.

I agree Bryan, I'd like to see a writeup myself.

I PM'ed back and forth with IFSJA member Neo after he put a 6.2L diesel and 700R4 in his 89. He said that he swapped over the indicator and NSS from a later 80s GM van. Not sure how much inside the column needs to change, if anything. I thought there was some internal piece(s) that provided the detent feel, but now that I think of it this is probably just the feel of the tranny shifting.

Here's a post about his NSS: http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=153671

It sounded like he struggled to get his linkage lined up and cam properly past neutral:
"The rod that comes off the column, goes into a bell-crank that (originally) fastened between the 727 and frame. i used the same bellcrank mechanism, but modified it to attach to the 700R4. This is where you can cam. Essentially, I believe the part that connects to the rod from the column, should be shorter than the rod that goes back to the trans rod, thus providing more rotation on the trans than at the column. Camming it up. This provides additional rotation at the trans, with smaller movement on the column. Sounds good in theory. I will be changing mine soon to make it align better.
NSS from a late model GM van plugs in, then you just have to wire it up to the rev lights and solenoid."
'78 Waggy: 401/QT pulling the rust down the road. 6.2L +turbo waiting in the wings.

jamesdart

Post by jamesdart »

I'm not sure how the cam would work. There are locks on the column for neutral and reverse, I don't think they will line up. The 400 just used 1 single rod, I thought about making the shift arm on the column longer but I guess it would have the same effect as the cam.

ProTouring442

Post by ProTouring442 »

I will be utilizing parts (the shift quadrant) from the van column to modify my Jeep column, using the Turbo 400 cross linkage. I'll post pics when I get to it.

srobertsfsj

Post by srobertsfsj »

i was just looking at this myself, although I was looking for a 4L60E or 4L80E. I found this but I am not sure if this would work for your application.

http://www.classicindustries.com/truck/ ... c1805.html

or

http://www.classicindustries.com/truck/ ... C1804.html

Edit: found this too. http://www.shop.sachserodshop.com/produ ... ductId=437
Scott R.

'86 Grand Wagoneer "Super Chief" 5.3L drivetrain/ WT conversion / TT's Fabworks SOA and SF / 37x12.5x17 BFG A/T KO3 http://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewtop ... 294&p=3364

"After years of being paranoid about my Jeep’s temp going towards that 220F mark, I’m realizing that if it was real problem, Jeep engineers would have painted that area RED." - FSJ Guy