64 Gladiator Tribute

Show off your FSJ photos and videos!

Topic author
BigJ200

Re: 64 Gladiator Tribute

Post by BigJ200 »

ShawnQ wrote:Did I miss the details on your lift kit?
No, it's my fault. This is the show and tell area and I've been posting "build" photos.

I will start a full build thread in the right place.

My apologies...

MB
American Vintage 4x4
"Where four wheel drives are a way of life"
www.AV4x4.com

ShawnQ

Post by ShawnQ »

BigJ200 wrote:
ShawnQ wrote:Did I miss the details on your lift kit?
No, it's my fault. This is the show and tell area and I've been posting "build" photos.

I will start a full build thread in the right place.

My apologies...

MB
You are definitely showing and telling! I'm just curious to know what lift and axle setups you've got under that beast!
1988 Grand Wagoneer, , 6" on 33x12.5 BFG M/Ts & Mickey Thompson Classic wheels
Currently undergoing a 5.3/6L80E/NP241C swap!
You can view my Build/Work In Progress thread by clicking HERE!

Topic author
BigJ200

Post by BigJ200 »

Ok,

I have a Ford F350 high pinion kingpin Dana 60 in front. It has 35 spline chromoly inner and outer axles, Yukon Super Joints, Detroit Locker, Ballistic Fab high steer arms and Warn Premium locking hubs.

I also had the wheel hubs machined down from 8 lug to 5 on 5 1/2 to match the original Jeep pattern. Then I installed Ford F150 rotors and GM 3/4 ton calipers mounted on my custom caliper brackets. I made a custom 1 1/2" x .25" wall tie rod and drag link with 3/4" Rod ends. The diff cover is made from very thick aluminum. Everything was powder coated black or painted forest green.

The rear axle is also a Dana 60 with double splined 300M 35 spline axle shafts and a Detroit Locker. Like the front, I installed front F350 Dana 60 spindles and hubs. They also got the same treatment with machined down hubs from 8 lug to 5 on 5 1/2. Then I installed Ford F150 rotors and GM 3/4 ton calipers mounted on my custom caliper brackets. Except, in this case, they bolt to custom collars that are pressed on and welded to the axle tubes. Same aluminum diff cover. Both front and rear axles have Stage 8 hub locking systems.

Both front and rear axles are mounted on 3" lift BDS springs. XJ rear and YJ front. I also used my custom designed American Vintage 4x4 shackles. I moved both front and rear springs from the original outboard position to under the frame rails. It is spring over front and rear with a shackle reversal in front.

Some photos in no particular order...

Last edited by BigJ200 on Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
American Vintage 4x4
www.AV4x4.com

ShawnQ

Post by ShawnQ »

Nice fab work...that truck is a beauty!

Looks like you have access to some nice machinery/tools. I have the ability and the imagination to do this stuff. If only I could afford it, and afford the tools for it!

Thanks for replying. Beautiful truck. I will likely try out those headlights.

Have you considered using a 2nd set of smaller lights where the 'pie-pans' are located? I'd like a 4-light setup...but haven't looked into it too much. I know there are some smoked 5" lights that would likely fit with a little work.

Keep the updates coming!
Shawn
1988 Grand Wagoneer, , 6" on 33x12.5 BFG M/Ts & Mickey Thompson Classic wheels
Currently undergoing a 5.3/6L80E/NP241C swap!
You can view my Build/Work In Progress thread by clicking HERE!

Topic author
BigJ200

Post by BigJ200 »

I have considered using a set of lights in place of the "pie plates". In fact, I have a set of military lights that bolt right in. But I prefer to keep the plates and mount driving/off-road/fog lights on and in the front bumper.

MB
American Vintage 4x4
www.AV4x4.com