Spring over

Modified FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
CherokeeCraig

Spring over

Post by CherokeeCraig »

Somebody guide me over to an informative thread on spring over lift for my Cherokee.

Thanks
Craig
79 Cherokee
81 CJ-7
82 CJ-8 Scrambler

REDONE

Re: Spring over

Post by REDONE »

SOA requires some new perches and some grinding. I've only done it once and I got the pieces from the member here named Tad. Here's his instructions for installing his perches:
http://www.ttsfabworks.com/ttimages/Perch%20Install.pdf

The rear can be lifted to match using his shackle flip too. Lots of members have used his SOA perches and RB rear shackle flip kits in conjunction (myself included) and been thrilled with the results. Here's a link to those parts:
http://www.ttsfabworks.com/ttimages/sha ... ns_TTs.pdf

And here's a link to the main page so you can see the FAQ and such:
http://www.ttsfabworks.com/

This isn't just a shameless plug for a specific product either. This is the only resource I know of for SOAs and shackle flips that's been engineered, tested and proven. Every thread I can call to mind where someone did an SOA on their own without Tads stuff would trail off into fighting with the steering or trying to level out the suspension and then disappear without any resolution. I can think of twice when the the trucks later showed up on Craigslist being parted out.

Keep in mind though, that the SOA and shackle flip will get you about 7" higher off the ground, but that steering will need to be changed to crossover or full high steer, and that Tad doesn't sell shocks or driveshafts.
79 J-10 (Honcho Mucho) KE0LSU
304/Performance Fuel Injection TBI/MTA1/SP2P/Magnum rockers
T18/D20/D44s&4.10s/33" Mud Claws
Grizzly Locker Rear
4" front spring drop, 5" rear shackle flip
Chevy style HEI (ECM controlled)
Dolphin "Shark" gauges in a fancy homemade oak bezel
3/4 resto, rotting faster than I've been fixing it.

Topic author
CherokeeCraig

Post by CherokeeCraig »

Really 7" with the stock springs? Wow, I don't think I was looking for that much! My wife'd be bitchin!!
79 Cherokee
81 CJ-7
82 CJ-8 Scrambler

REDONE

Post by REDONE »

CherokeeCraig wrote:Really 7" with the stock springs? Wow, I don't think I was looking for that much! My wife'd be bitchin!!
Haha! Yup! You figure from the bottom of the stock perch to the top of the new perch is about 5", then you account for the thickness of the spring at about 2" and you're sitting on 7" of lift with stock springs. There's some data out there on using Chevy front leafs with a negative arch to put you closer to 4-5" but at that height I'd go with lift springs so I never looked that much into it. Even at 4-5" SOA has some advantages over lift springs, but for me it's not cost justified.
79 J-10 (Honcho Mucho) KE0LSU
304/Performance Fuel Injection TBI/MTA1/SP2P/Magnum rockers
T18/D20/D44s&4.10s/33" Mud Claws
Grizzly Locker Rear
4" front spring drop, 5" rear shackle flip
Chevy style HEI (ECM controlled)
Dolphin "Shark" gauges in a fancy homemade oak bezel
3/4 resto, rotting faster than I've been fixing it.

fulsizjeep

Post by fulsizjeep »

another perspective is go with soa and 29s! :lol:
Flint Boardman
88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s
https://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac

Topic author
CherokeeCraig

Post by CherokeeCraig »

I really like the smooth ride my Cherokee has now and I know if I put lift springs on I'm going to get a stiffer ride. I was wanting to end up around 4" of lift as I want to run 255 tires. Now I'm wondering about the shackle reverse to obtain something closer to what I was looking for. I really like the smooth look of the spring over on the front.
79 Cherokee
81 CJ-7
82 CJ-8 Scrambler

will e

Post by will e »

Pre SOA/SF and at the time stock but worn out springs:

After SOA/SF (and paint/tires)

81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

Topic author
CherokeeCraig

Post by CherokeeCraig »

Dude, you have my Jeep!
79 Cherokee
81 CJ-7
82 CJ-8 Scrambler

fulsizjeep

Post by fulsizjeep »

Craig - You might want to ask about 4" spring lifts that provide a softer ride. I personally liked the ride of my dad's 88 GW on the Rusty's 4" all spring pack lift. I hear Skyjacker has a good ride but no personal experience.
Flint Boardman
88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s
https://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac

Tad
Vendor

Post by Tad »

CherokeeCraig wrote:...I really like the smooth look of the spring over on the front.
Looks aside, you really want to figure out what you want from your rig, meaning how are you going to use it.
Weekend getaway rig, hard core wheeler or just a basic daily driver that looks really cool.

A WT Chero will fit 33's with just a 4" lift.
Add a rear locker with proper gearing and it can be a very capable rig, you would be surprised where these things go even stock.

Will it have the ride quality and articulation of an SOA rig?
No, that's not a reasonable expectation. It takes some decent arch and spring strength to hold these rigs up there, but as Flint mentioned there are decent ride quality 4" lift springs out there.

The math for SOA (using my perches, there are others, they just take more work to install) is 4 3/4" plus the thickness of your existing spring pack.
You'll loose about 1/2" within the first month.
Our stock springs were not designed to handle the forces applied in an SOA situation.
There are several ways around that.
A collection of 1966 to 1986 parts.
Self Inflicted Flesh Wound
Caddy425/TH400/Atlas 4spd/14B/D60/locked front and rear/Hydroassist/39.5 Irocks
(Join date = Friday the 13th)

My Stuff:
http://www.ttsfabworks.com/
Tech Stuff:
IFSJA WMS Project

Topic author
CherokeeCraig

Post by CherokeeCraig »

Thanks for the input guys. I'll just have to decide from here. This is a "social" rig, meaning we like to cruise back roads and do offroading with some friends but as a long time CJ owner I like things to be "capable"! I want the lifted look and larger tires but my wife loves the soft ride of the stock suspension and I can't argue with that. I may just stay stock for awhile and let the new wear off then maybe go to 4" spring lift. As cool as it looks I just don't think 7" fits in our lifestyle, (the older you get the more you have to P)!!
79 Cherokee
81 CJ-7
82 CJ-8 Scrambler

carnuck

Post by carnuck »

SOA using a pre '80 Ford axle (bolt in but you need high steer arms and it's wider). '74 to Pre '80 FSJs can use a pre '88 Chev axle for bolt in. Same deal with the high steer.

Check my parts for sale near Seattle

HowardT64

Post by HowardT64 »

I really wish I could do a small lift on mine, but it is all so expensive :(
2016 Jeep Patriot
"Faith"