Holley Carb

Modified FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
ChrisHager

Holley Carb

Post by ChrisHager »

Hi all,

I've been snooping around lately and decided to make my first post. I recently bought a 79 J-10 with a 360 that I'm picking up this Saturday (pics coming soon). Along with the vehicle, I received a handful of new parts, one of which is a Holley carb. From my research, it looks like a Truck Avenger. I believe the carb was rebuilt/re-manufactured. The label has a number of 90600 on it though Holley doesn't have a carburetor with that P/N. I'm attaching pictures and am curious what you all think this is.

I look forward to getting to know you all! I'm sure I'll have plenty of questions in the future!

Chris

haminawag

Re: Holley Carb

Post by haminawag »

Howdy, I don't have my Holley book in front of me but I'm pretty sure it's a truck Avenger, 600 CFM, which is about 100 CFM more airflow than your stock 360 Autolite 2100/2150 came with, that's a good size for a stock or mildly modified engine. Vaccuum secondaries, Good! (Hint: a "green" spring in the secondary vacuum canister will keep the secondaries from opening too quickly, thus saving you some fuel.) Externally adjustable floats, Good! My only concern would be the straight boosters it has, I've almost always found down-leg boosters to be a bit better overall. Bolt this carb on a Weiand Stealth, or an Edelbrock Performer intake manifold and it ought to be a nice setup. Have you ever tuned a Holley carb. before? They can be a bit of a tiger since they're almost infinately adjustable, not the best starter carb. for a newbie, to be sure, but it's a better choice for a 4x4 than a Carter AFB, AVS, Thermoquad, or other Carter knockoff carburetors due to the float hinge orientation, which is why the stock Autolite 2bbl. carbs. often perform better. Anyway, if I'm right about it, it's basically in the same family as the old Holley 4160 carbs. Good luck with it.
Let us not forget what our fathers taught us.

Ham-in-a-Wag
1967 Plymouth Fury
1979 Wagoneer
2000 RAV4

Topic author
ChrisHager

Post by ChrisHager »

My father-in-law thought it was a 600 CFM as well. The only thing that throws me off is the fact that Holley doesn't have any information on 600 CFM Truck Avengers. Only 470, 670, and 770 are options listed...

Other goodies that were in the purchase are an Edelbrock Performer intake manifold and a D.U.I. distributor... :D

Per tinkering with carbs - the most I've ever done is rebuild lawn mower carburetors! I know my way around vehicles quite well but have never toyed with a real carb. I have quite a bit of learning to do!

You live in Springfield, IL?

fulsizjeep

Post by fulsizjeep »

The secondaries do not have a metering block. I thought all the Truck Avengers have a metering block on secondaries. Maybe it is a Holley 600 of some type with the TA crossover plumbing added. They do fit the older Holleys. I bet Ristow would know but he does not post here much.
Flint Boardman
88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s
https://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac

jamesdart

Post by jamesdart »

the real number is probably under that national sticker. that would be the holley number. even with that, if its from a rebuilder, it could be a pile of parts from 5 different carbs.

haminawag

Post by haminawag »

The fact that it doesn't have a secondary metering block is what leads me to think it's in the 4160 family. The photos don't show the underside very well, it looks like it might be a square bore, but I can't really tell. If it is, I'd go on the assumption that it's a 4160 relative, they made so many different 4160 carbs for the aftermarket, for OEM, for small displacement racing engines, we even ran a pair of 525 CFM 4160s on a B-stock 426 hemi in our '66 Coronet. They're all pretty much the same anatomy, just different CFM ratings, boosters, etc. It's a good carburetor, time tested, with no real surprises except for one: this is something that most factory holleys share (and it sucks) if the engine ever backfires through the carb, then you need to pull the primary float bowl and check the power valve diaphram to make sure the backfire didn't rupture it. If it did then you must replace it. Out of all the Holleys I've had over the years the only one I decided to keep is a 600cfm 4160 that I used to race on the little 318. (that's now in my Fury wearing an AFB ON TOP). :)

Ham-in-a-Wag
1967 Plymouth Fury
1979 Wagoneer
2000 RAV4

FSJunkie

Post by FSJunkie »

jamesdart wrote:the real number is probably under that national sticker. that would be the holley number. even with that, if its from a rebuilder, it could be a pile of parts from 5 different carbs.
Pretty much.
1972 Wagoneer: 360 2V, THM-400, D20, D30 closed knuckle, D44 Trac-lok 3.31.
1965 Rambler Ambassador: 327 4V, BW M-10 auto, AMC 20 3.15.
1973 AMC Ambassador: 360 4V, TC-727.
1966 AMC Marlin 327 4V, T-10 4 speed, AMC 20 Powr-lok 3.54.

babywag

Post by babywag »

It's a regular 'ol 4160 w/ some upgrades.
(truck avenger ripoff clone)

They used to sell them on eBay.
-Tony
'88 GW (aka Babywag)

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

babywag wrote:It's a regular 'ol 4160 w/ some upgrades.
(truck avenger ripoff clone)

They used to sell them on eBay.
Yes. Though I'm not sure it qualifies as a "rip-off."

Call National Carbs and they may tell you about it.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

Topic author
ChrisHager

Post by ChrisHager »

jamesdart wrote:the real number is probably under that national sticker.
You're good! I pulled back the sticker and found 80457-1 and below that 3167. From what I can find, it's a 600CFM 4160. The lower 4 digits are the build date.

haminawag wrote:The photos don't show the underside very well...
Here ya go!

These are stamped 109:

The secondaries are stamped 311:

haminawag

Post by haminawag »

Yup, I think that after ya get the appropriate power valve for it, secondary spring, and get the jetting all sorted out for the engine it's going on, it ought to be a good runner for ya. Have fun.

Ham-in-a-Wag
1967 Plymouth Fury
1979 Wagoneer
2000 RAV4

Topic author
ChrisHager

Post by ChrisHager »

haminawag wrote:Yup, I think that after ya get the appropriate power valve for it, secondary spring, and get the jetting all sorted out for the engine it's going on, it ought to be a good runner for ya. Have fun.
Haha I have a lot to learn! :) I'll have to bribe you to come tune it for me. (Ironically, I'm located in Springfield as well.)

haminawag

Post by haminawag »

No sweat, happy to help. Tell me about your setup first, engine size, compression ratio, camshaft (stock or zoom zoom?) transmission, gearing, tire size, and what do you want to do with the rig? (heavy off-road?, daily driver, occasional off road, etc.?) This will give me an idea of where to start the jetting. It's not hard stuff really, just have to find the right balance of components so it's not running too lean, nor chuffing unburned fuel out the tail pipe.

Ham-in-a-Wag
1967 Plymouth Fury
1979 Wagoneer
2000 RAV4

Topic author
ChrisHager

Post by ChrisHager »

It's a 79 with the 360. T-18A trans with the D20 transfer case. D44's front and rear though I don't know what gearing is in it (I think it's still stock). It currently has 33x12.5x15 tires under a 3" lift. Camshaft is stock as well. We're installing a D.U.I. distributor, new plugs and heavier plug wires, Edelbrock performer intake manifold, and 600cfm Holley carb here in the next few weeks. I'm mainly using this vehicle as a toy/dd though it will also be used as a wood hauler and may see very mild off road use. It's just too shiny to beat on!

More pictures here: ChrisHager's 79 J-10 Build Thread: http://fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=3585

:)

jaber
Vendor

Post by jaber »

That is one beautiful J-10. :shock: I hope to have my '77 that shinny one day. That also is the same color I've been thinking of, now I know what it'll look like.

Your stock gears will be 3.54's, a tow package would be 3.73's. :-bd
Jeff

'46 cj3a
'51 Willys p/u
'51 Willys Parkway Conversion
'74 CJ5
'75 J-20 Wrecker
'75 J-20 Cummins service truck
'77 J-10 p/u
'79 Cherokee
'88 Grand Wagoneer
http://s252.photobucket.com/albums/hh14/jeffaber/

Topic author
ChrisHager

Post by ChrisHager »

Thank you! I love it.

Being that there's no hitch, I'd assume I have 3.54's.

will e

Post by will e »

Really nice looking truck.

My two cents. Install the DUI first and run it for a few weeks and then install the carb/manifold. Don't do both at the same time.
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

Topic author
ChrisHager

Post by ChrisHager »

will e wrote:Really nice looking truck.

My two cents. Install the DUI first and run it for a few weeks and then install the carb/manifold. Don't do both at the same time.
Out of curiosity, what is your reasoning for not doing them at the same time?