QuadraTrac Rebuild with Mile Marker PT kit

Modified FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
ScottsMojo

QuadraTrac Rebuild with Mile Marker PT kit

Post by ScottsMojo »

So, I started this about a year ago, but after cleaning the case found it had a stress crack. Full stop.

Since then, I have found another case and it looks to be good. So, still working on getting it cleaned, and getting parts in order. I have a couple questions for the experts (read Flint!) and they will preface each photo. Not much so far, as I said I am still cleaning and organizing...

Four chains, two std gear set, two 16% OD chains. Three of the four are Morse, look closely.
The odd man out is a chain stamped with RTR and Canada.
The RTR chain is old. Looking at the patina from the years of oil and whatnot it would appear to be worse for the wear. But, it has very little slack.

So, thoughts, comments? I think the RTR chain looks like it still has alot to offer in terms of wear.

fulsizjeep

Re: QuadraTrac Rebuild with Mile Marker PT kit

Post by fulsizjeep »

I would go with the tightest chain but you can't really measure chain slack unless the housing is assembled. I have seen a couple Canada made chains over the years but I don't know much about them beyond the different link pattern. I would tear down the diff, clean it, and assemble with liberal coating of QT fluid.

Here is a new Morse 16% OD chain that uses the odd link pattern. I got it from BJs Offroad and is the only Morse I have seen like this. They stack two links together instead of single spacing.
Flint Boardman
88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s
https://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac

Topic author
ScottsMojo

Post by ScottsMojo »

Thank you Flint! The RTR chain has the same double link stack build up, except for the center links, which are triple stacked. It is also the chain with the least slack, so I will fit the cases together and try to get a deflection measurement.

fulsizjeep

Post by fulsizjeep »

I see this OD chain also has the triple stack in the center...
Flint Boardman

Topic author
ScottsMojo

Post by ScottsMojo »

fulsizjeep wrote:I see this OD chain also has the triple stack in the center...
I put the case halves together last night and the Canadian chain is Tiiiight! Not in a bad way, it had about 1/8" deflection when measured through the drain hole. And to think I had almost tossed it... :shock:

fulsizjeep

Post by fulsizjeep »

1/8" is tight. Not too tight. You used the hole in the bottom for checking chain tension or the oil drain hole? I think the chain tension plug is like a 3/8" wrench size and the drain plug is 5/8".
Flint Boardman

Topic author
ScottsMojo

Post by ScottsMojo »

fulsizjeep wrote:1/8" is tight. Not too tight. You used the hole in the bottom for checking chain tension or the oil drain hole? I think the chain tension plug is like a 3/8" wrench size and the drain plug is 5/8".
I used the chain tension hole, the small one on the bottom. :-bd

fulsizjeep

Post by fulsizjeep »

I figured so, just checking. You did good with discovering a used chain that is still tight. :-bd
Flint Boardman

Topic author
ScottsMojo

Post by ScottsMojo »

fulsizjeep wrote:I figured so, just checking. You did good with discovering a used chain that is still tight. :-bd
I am tickled! The chains that came with the used MM kits were less than expected, as they were "low mile" conversions. Anywho, I have a good kit and will hopefully get it back together by the end of the week! :fsj: