MT1's 1974 K5 Cherokee...

Show off your FSJ photos and videos!

Topic author
MT1

MT1's 1974 K5 Cherokee...

Post by MT1 »

I took my 1974 FSJ Cherokee in on trade for a days worth of Hot Rod Fabrication work. While it wasn't something I was really looking for I told the guy that if he would throw a black paint job with an orange stripe on it I would do it. Figured I could sell it or something if I hated it. Well a very long story very short, I fell in love with the under powered, sloppy suspended rust bucket. Keeping in mind that it was a California Pre smog vehicle and I could change it any way I wanted.

I realized very quickly that the vehicle was shot. The 258, D20, 3 speed just wasn't going to achieve what I wanted to do with it so the transformation started. Keep in mind I'm not a purest when it comes to vehicles, So cutting and slicing is not an issue with me. Secondly I don't have anything really invested in this vehicle other than some time and labor. Im a custom car fabricator and I have access to a lot of inexpensive parts and accessories. This vehicle is my Escape from work and is being built on the CHEAP!

It now sits on a 2.5" stretched 77 Jimmy frame with a 350ci engine, TH350, 203 part time TC. (recently transplanted from a 86 Suburban) still running a d44 front and a 12 bolt rear. Has new 8" rear and 10" front super lift springs as well as 38" Swampers all the way around. Lots of body mods and to be honest the only thing still FSJ is the most important part... Its good looking body!

From the night I got it till now thread. http://www.socalultimate4x4.com/index.p ... 414.0.html

Change is Opportunity

ScottsMojo

Re: MT1's 1974 K5 Cherokee...

Post by ScottsMojo »

These fool Jeeps have a way of growing on ya. I like what you have done, it looks great!

I am about to pull the trigger on a 74 Chero! I just got off the phone with the guy, gonna go look Saturday!

Its not a complete vehicle, it was in a wreck but with a front clip it might be a driver. Im almost excited! :-bd

Topic author
MT1

Post by MT1 »

I know its not for everyone but I enjoy the therapy. Soon to be wheeling in it I hope. The desert cools down enough to enjoy it towards the end of October. :-bd

Heck yeah... Good cheap wholesome entrainment! If you can get it cheap enough and stay emotionally detached its amazing what you can do with a sawsall and mig welder! Let us know what you end up doing...
Change is Opportunity

lindel

Post by lindel »

The TJ flares don't look bad at all. Front bumper looks good too.

These things do grow on you. If I were to get another FSJ, it would be a WT. I miss mine.
Lindel

Topic author
MT1

Post by MT1 »

A little better feel for how it sits.

Change is Opportunity

ScottsMojo

Post by ScottsMojo »

Now there's an idea for the Chero. 2wd street rod, ifs front clip, lowered and bagged?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author
MT1

Post by MT1 »

Hummm, not seeing that! Some things just aren't worth the effort... But who knows might be right up someones alley?
Change is Opportunity

Bulldog67

Post by Bulldog67 »

some v cool flares ya got there 8-)
M715 6.354 (5.8 Diesasel) * 401 CJ7 * 360 Chief * 360 CJ8 * GM400 CJ5 * 401 J20

My Jeep life can be read here: http://www.birtydastards.com/frm/index. ... ic=20288.0

Growing old is compulsory. growing up is optional! No-one on their death bed moans that they had too much fun!

moorehouse77

Post by moorehouse77 »

Here's another angle sitting in front of old blue. I measured a total of 19" lift over stock.

Topic author
MT1

Post by MT1 »

ScottsMojo wrote:Now there's an idea for the Chero. 2wd street rod, ifs front clip, lowered and bagged?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Change is Opportunity

Jagged

Post by Jagged »

Love what you've done with the '74.

For me, it's about making whatever you have work. And that's what you did here, to the point of making me drool. Well done. :-bd
1982 Jeep CJ-7, 4" lift, 35"s, Rust, AMC 401, T-18, D300 Twin-stick
2000 Jeep Cherokee, 6" Lift, 33"s, 4.0 I6, AW4, NP231
1979 Jeep Cherokee, 4-speed, 360

Topic author
MT1

Post by MT1 »

Jagged wrote:Love what you've done with the '74.

For me, it's about making whatever you have work. And that's what you did here, to the point of making me drool. Well done. :-bd

Im going to be very honest here...
I got the truck for basically free from a good friend and didn't really even want it.
I did some trading and bartering for a lot of good stuff from a bunch of good friends. They always made sure I came out ahead on the dealings.
While I have orchestrated most of the build, an overwhelming portion or the labor has been given to me by 2 great friends... Dave and Chad.
I was sold a Donor rig for a great price and a payment plan that is totally ridiculous by another dear friend.

See a pattern here? This rig is truly being built on the cheap thanks to all my great and dear friends who have in their own way paid for me to build it. I'm just trying to figure out how I can give it all back and repay them? I'm truly a blessed man!

The truck hasn't meant squat to me until just recently, After seeing the investment in time, and all the parts from all my friends, The hours spent trading insults, getting greasy, and consuming way too much beer it has made this FSJ more valuable to me than a Mercedes or any other brand new vehicle. Its still a big piece of Junk but I love it! Thanks guys, as many of you are here on the network and thanks to those that aren't. ^:)^ It still has a long way to go... Im looking forward to every minute of it! Thanks for the props and dont drool Jagged, Its just an FSJ... well sort of. =))
Change is Opportunity

Jagged

Post by Jagged »

I drool more for the fact that it was made to actually work as opposed to sitting in a driveway rusting away (like all of mine.) ;)

My time is not my own, or when it is, I'm too tired from the rest of it to do more than search craigslist for parts.

And that's really cool whether you did the work yourself, or your little tribe of leprechauns you keep stashed away from the rest of us. %%- =))

Topic author
MT1

Post by MT1 »

I understand... :-bd

I own a Hot Rod and Off Road shop so I come across some good deals once in a while only because im so close to it. I do my 12 hours a day and then do the office work, take out the trash etc. Im in no mood to spend more time wrenching than a man on the moon. I have found if I can do just one thing a day no matter how small of thing eventually it gets done. I have all the guys over for Friday evening tech nights where we all work together on everyone's rigs. It really is nice to have the company and folks that intimidate you into working. LOL It also helps that we have a lot of FSJ'ers close by... Its a unique support group each with their strengths. I think that is the key, get involved with like minded people and make an effort to make a difference.

Last edited by MT1 on Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Change is Opportunity

Jagged

Post by Jagged »

Yeah. That is my failing. I am pretty much your stereotypical computer geek hiding in my office, programming all day. When I do get out, I don't make much of an effort to meet people. ;)

Where I used to live I had a little group of people that I would go wheeling with from time to time, but wrenching was mainly me and my dad. Now I live 500 miles and a ferry trip away from him, so our wrenching time together is severely curtailed.

But I hear you about putting in your 12 hours on something and not wanting to do MORE of it after your day is done. :-D. I am getting that way with programming