85 GW Starter Solenoid Wiring

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
rlrobinhood

85 GW Starter Solenoid Wiring

Post by rlrobinhood »

Hi all,

New to the Full Size Jeep thing. Just picked up a 85 Grand Wagoneer a couple days ago. Body is in good shape. The previous owner said it ran when parked, but hasn't been run for some time. She also said her nephew worked on it a little.... Appears the starter solenoid was removed and "tinkering" took place with the carburetor.... 108k miles on the odometer though :)

Anyways, I picked up a starter solenoid for a 1985 Grand Wagoneer, 360, automatic transmission. I've looked online for wiring diagrams, but can't find any for a 85 that I can read. But, I think I have it close to wired correctly.

1) black wire pushed on the little brass post on the back of the solenoid
2) blue wire pushed on the "S" post
3) red wire with white stripe pushed on the "I" post
4) battery positive cable on one large post and large cable to starter on the other large post.
5)

My questions to you are:

1) Does it matter which side of the solenoid the battery positive cable and the cable going to the starter are on? In other words, can you have them hooked up backwards?
2) I also have a dark brown wire that is labeled "fuse link" and it has a ring terminal. I suspect it goes on one of the large posts. Do you know which one? Battery side or starter side?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1985 Grand Wagoneer, 360 and automatic transmission, currently stock and a work in progress

1969 Ford Bronco, 5.0, NV4500, Atlas, D44 and Ford 9, 3.5" suspension, 2" body

carnuck

Re: 85 GW Starter Solenoid Wiring

Post by carnuck »

You can hook the 2 main cables to either side if there is no extra ring terminals. Those go to the battery side or the starter will keep running. Check the blue and red with white stripe wires for power with the key on. IIRC, the red/white should be around 10 volts (ignition resistored) and go to the "I" or ignition terminal (it actually passes full battery power to that wire while cranking to boost the ignition spark UNLESS the tab inside the solenoid is worn off/defective). S terminal is for Start (blue) and should only get power with the key turned to start (or the starter will keep running)
Check my parts for sale near Seattle

Topic author
rlrobinhood

Post by rlrobinhood »

carnuck wrote:You can hook the 2 main cables to either side if there is no extra ring terminals. Those go to the battery side or the starter will keep running. Check the blue and red with white stripe wires for power with the key on. IIRC, the red/white should be around 10 volts (ignition resistored) and go to the "I" or ignition terminal (it actually passes full battery power to that wire while cranking to boost the ignition spark UNLESS the tab inside the solenoid is worn off/defective). S terminal is for Start (blue) and should only get power with the key turned to start (or the starter will keep running)

Thanks Carnuck. So, what I'm hearing you say is it doesn't matter what side the battery positive cable and starter cable are on so long as they are not on the same terminal?

Also, what terminal should the brown fuse link go on?

Thanks again.
1985 Grand Wagoneer, 360 and automatic transmission, currently stock and a work in progress

carnuck

Post by carnuck »

fused link goes to same side as cable from battery.
Check my parts for sale near Seattle

Topic author
rlrobinhood

Post by rlrobinhood »

carnuck wrote:fused link goes to same side as cable from battery.

Right on Carnuck!!! Just added the fused link where you said and BINGO!! Many thanks.