'77 J-10 PS pump and bracket

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
lowrance

'77 J-10 PS pump and bracket

Post by lowrance »

My name is Allen and I'm new to the forum. I've got a '77 J-10 w/ a 360 and a '78 J-10 w/ a 258. I recently attempted to replace the PS pump on my 360 and got a pump from the auto parts store that had only one adjustment bolt on the rear. In a failed attempt to see if it would hold, I gave it a try and broke the bracket. The only thing I could find on the interweb was a used pump and bracket on ebay. I'm currently the high bidder but was curious if anyone had a solid parts dealer they recommend? Surprisingly, with the wife's blessing, I've got a $5000 budget to bring the '77 360 into condition to be my primary farm truck. The 360 is apparently out of a 80's waggie, needs a tune up but runs solid. I'm sure a new radiator as it runs at about 210 most of the time. Presently it's got a 3 speed, I'd like a 5spd with a trans cooler as I need to travel about 2 hours to carry livestock to my preferred processor and on occasion need to move tractors and the like. Any direction or advice is greatly appreciated.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

jaber
Vendor

Re: '77 J-10 PS pump and bracket

Post by jaber »

Welcome to the Network... Image

Love my J trucks. That one looks clean. Watch the sale section here, there is usually someone parting one, or a thread into the wanted section, someone is always hording parts.

Cant wait to see more pics... :-bd
Jeff

'46 cj3a
'51 Willys p/u
'51 Willys Parkway Conversion
'74 CJ5
'75 J-20 Wrecker
'75 J-20 Cummins service truck
'77 J-10 p/u
'79 Cherokee
'88 Grand Wagoneer
http://s252.photobucket.com/albums/hh14/jeffaber/

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

lowrance wrote:My name is Allen and I'm new to the forum. I've got a '77 J-10 w/ a 360 and a '78 J-10 w/ a 258. I recently attempted to replace the PS pump on my 360 and got a pump from the auto parts store that had only one adjustment bolt on the rear. In a failed attempt to see if it would hold, I gave it a try and broke the bracket. The only thing I could find on the interweb was a used pump and bracket on ebay. I'm currently the high bidder but was curious if anyone had a solid parts dealer they recommend? Surprisingly, with the wife's blessing, I've got a $5000 budget to bring the '77 360 into condition to be my primary farm truck. The 360 is apparently out of a 80's waggie, needs a tune up but runs solid. I'm sure a new radiator as it runs at about 210 most of the time. Presently it's got a 3 speed, I'd like a 5spd with a trans cooler as I need to travel about 2 hours to carry livestock to my preferred processor and on occasion need to move tractors and the like. Any direction or advice is greatly appreciated.

You want a 5-speed manual to haul a stock trailer? I think your only option is a NV4550 http://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge/nv4500.htm - that's going to take a lot of your refurb budget. They are not cheap.

What is your reasoning for why you want 5 speeds, specifically? The factory optional transmission was a T-18 4-speed, in a long-input configuration specific to V8 full-sized Jeeps. Look at the T-18 ratios on the Novak page and compare with the ratios for the NV4500.

If you can't locate your PS bracket on the for sale or WTB forums here or on the mothership (ifsja.org) there are Jeep specialty junkyards, including J&W in Antelope CA and Jakes in NC.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

69gladiator

Post by 69gladiator »

Go to the AMC Forum for the bracket. It seems there's a lot of parts over there

Gumby

Post by Gumby »

Welcome to the madness, that missing tab on the PS pump was to be taken from the old pump. You're got a good one there, keep her happy :-bd .
1984 GW 360/727/208.... 4"/ 31"
2004 CRD QC SRW 3500 4X4 (DD)
1983 "project Dubya" (long term)

carnuck

Post by carnuck »

Okay, to help you avoid some mistakes, here's what I do.
First, do you plan to lift and go bigger tires? Start with an end result plan to get there the ea$ie$t.

If you haul a HUGE trailer, you'll want to swap to a J20 (or similar) rear axle and watch your ratio to match the front or go a matching pair. The front can be done by changing the brake and spindle parts to the 8 lug style. Planning ahead here is important because going taller tires is the same as going to a taller gear. Your takeoff power will suffer and the top speed you gain will be dropped by the amount of power lost. It's a bell curve. Once you go past the optimal point, things like fuel economy suffer. Like, if you go 36" tires, your brakes start to suffer and if you have 2.72 gears, 5th gear will be useless.

Do you mean a 6 speed auto? Std trans don't usually run coolers. There is no bolt on 6 speed auto and the closest 4 speed auto needs changes to work.
I have an AW4 I'm putting in my '83 Honcho. $ for '91-'96 23 spline trans plus '87-90 XJ trans/efi wiring harness and XJ 4.0L starter, $150 rebalanced XJ flexplate, $100 adapter ring to '80+ FSJ tcase or Dodge NP208 for pre '80 rigs. Then I have to wire in the controller which isn't as hard as some make it out to be. Mounting the TPS and TVS cable on a carb is the hardest part for me. After that, driveshafts, possibly just from a 6 cyl, same model will work.

210F is normal operating temp for an AMC V8. In fact, less than 195 means fuel "economy" drops even more. As for the bracket, there should be a bolt in front and back to keep it in place.
Check my parts for sale near Seattle

Jeeptchr

Post by Jeeptchr »

if you don't win the auction let me know I just yanked the 360 from a J20 I'm parting out. I know that bracketry is still good. also.... I have a set of J20 axles :)

besides that, Clean truck, and congrads on the budget!

Topic author
lowrance

Post by lowrance »

Thanks for all the great feedback. Glad to hear that 210 is normal operating temp so a new radiator to replace crusty should solve that. I don't plan to lift for bigger tires the 31X10.50 give me the clearance I need around the farm and the stance I like. Upgrading to the 4spd manual trans would "maybe" save me on the gas usage but given my newbie status I've obviously got some research to do. The current 3spd shifts fine. As for hauling, 16' stock trailer bp gross weight less than 8000 lbs and on average closer to 6000 lbs. I'm really looking forward to my winter project, diving into the FSJ to bring my knowledge up to speed.

Great resource, Thanks again ... Allen

carnuck

Post by carnuck »

31/10.5 are bigger than stock already. 4 speed gives you a lower first but no gearing higher than 3rd which is the same as 4th in a 4 speed. Easier takeoffs (less clutch wear)
Check my parts for sale near Seattle

Topic author
lowrance

Post by lowrance »

So there is no point focusing on a trans change as long as the 3spd is operating properly, that's good news because the change appears to be a sizable modification ... thx