Building a 1969 Super Wagoneer

Area to show off your Custom Build threads.

Topic author
Vengeanceasx

Building a 1969 Super Wagoneer

Post by Vengeanceasx »

Hey Guys, new to this board, but not to Jeeps. I just picked this up for 400 bucks, the picture is a little dark. 350 Buick is shot, planning on going to a drive train that's a little newer and more efficient. This is going to be a complete Resto Mod build over the next year or so. Any ideas?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Gladiator265

Re: Building a 1969 Super Wagoneer

Post by Gladiator265 »

sooo jealous, I'll give you $450 :P

Personal opinion, depends on how original you want to keep it and how new you want to go with the driveline. Also depends on what you want to use this for.

If you want to keep it fairly stock and horsepower, etc isn't a huge concern but you want it to run nicely the Buick 350 may not be a bad idea. Since it was the original motor, all the motor mounts, exhaust, rest of the driveline, accessories, etc will still bolt up without a problem and you can just refresh it and add fuel injection. That's do-able but its roughly 3500 for the FI kit and when you break down in the middle of nowhere Buick 350 parts may not be something everyone keeps on the shelves. Also the rest of the driveline wasn't setup to run 75 down the freeway so gearing etc may come into play.

Lots of LS/5.3 Swap info and Universal support. Not a bad swap if you don't mind a chevy driveline. Being that its a Buick 350 I guess it kind of already is isn't it? :P Parts down the road would be cheaper and easier to find, could probably build the whole setup for less than the Buick fuel injection Kit.

but no, I can see it in your eyes, you want to keep it Mopar so you should definitely do a Hemi swap :-bd You would probably have to do a little more fab work but there's definitely some support out there. Pull the whole driveline out of a wrecked Ram and you'd be set. Make sure it's a early 00's so there's no MDS and don't do what I did, just buy the standalone plug n play harness and save yourself the time and headache :)

Topic author
Vengeanceasx

Post by Vengeanceasx »

My plan is to have a jeep that is perfectly capable for offroad, but is also comfortable to take across the country if I want. It doesn't have to stay original. I have a full big block chevy 4x4 drivetrain with axles and everything, but I am tempted to put something newer with fuel injection and overdrive. Has anyone done any of this? I have been looking at the various builds and they are pretty sweet. I can do mos of the fabrications along with the paint and body work, so none of that is a problem. Just shopping for ideas and doability.

jaber
Vendor

Post by jaber »

Welcome to the Network... Image

Cant wait to see better pics, it looks very clean, congrats. :-bd

It'll be interesting to see where it goes. If you want to cross country in it, avoid the BB... ;)
Jeff

'46 cj3a
'51 Willys p/u
'51 Willys Parkway Conversion
'74 CJ5
'75 J-20 Wrecker
'75 J-20 Cummins service truck
'77 J-10 p/u
'79 Cherokee
'88 Grand Wagoneer
http://s252.photobucket.com/albums/hh14/jeffaber/

Herk

Post by Herk »

I'm in the (slow) process of doing something similar to my truck. The Buick 350 is getting TBI injection (might have $500 into the whole thing when done), and the TH400 will become a beefed up 4L60. The most expensive single part is the 4L60-D20 adapter. The injection and trans are both out of a 91 Suburban. The Buick engine is actually a really good engine.

66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

Welcome! More pics!

Sent from my Deloran (upgraded Flux Capacitor) using Tapatalk.

Topic author
Vengeanceasx

Post by Vengeanceasx »

Ok so here is what I've worked out. I can get a Dana 70 rear and Dana 44 front from a 70-72 Suburban that has a 454 with TH400 and NP205 transfer case. Anyone know if this swap will work? I can get everything for 400 bucks. I also found a 1999 chevy tahoe 4x4 with complete drive train and another complete drive train for it for $500. I am working on more pictures, but I keep forgetting. I did find this though when pulling the engine....
Wagoneer Engine.jpg
I am planning on fuel injection and an electronic transmission. Adapters ARE expensive! I would like to keep everything as simple as possible, so maybe the engine/transmission/transfer case from the tahoe and the Dana 44/70 from the Suburban. I have to take all or none with these deals, so I am hoping I can sell off the rest of the stuff to pay for the stuff I am keeping. Any suggestions are welcomed. I could probably get a Chevy 14 bolt for the rear if I wanted instead of the Dana 70, but I think the 70's are stronger, but the 14 bolts have more parts available. Ideas?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Topic author
Vengeanceasx

Post by Vengeanceasx »

Also, I would like to convert to 8 lug. A lot of racing takeoffs are available and I might want pull a large 10,000lb trailer with it. Those axles are all 8 lug.

mud89

Post by mud89 »

Those are rare, do you know the serial number ?
J10 81, J10 77, CJ7 80, Gladiator 64, Wagoneer 65, ZJ 5.9
parts vehicles : wagoneer 63, cherokee Golden eagle

jaber
Vendor

Post by jaber »

On the rear axle, I would do the 14 b, a D70 is overkill unless this is a rock crawler. And as you said, easier to get parts and many more options for it. ;)
Jeff

'46 cj3a
'51 Willys p/u
'51 Willys Parkway Conversion
'74 CJ5
'75 J-20 Wrecker
'75 J-20 Cummins service truck
'77 J-10 p/u
'79 Cherokee
'88 Grand Wagoneer
http://s252.photobucket.com/albums/hh14/jeffaber/

ElkyRacer

Post by ElkyRacer »

jaber wrote:On the rear axle, I would do the 14 b, a D70 is overkill unless this is a rock crawler. And as you said, easier to get parts and many more options for it. ;)
Technically the 14 bolt is going to be a bit stronger than a regular duty D70. Unless it's a 70HD with the 4in tubes from a Chevrolet drw truck then those are rated higher. 14 bolts are more plentiful with more aftermarket except for gear sets. You can go from 3.07s all the way up to 7.17 in the 70. Where a 14 bolt is limited to 3.73s to 5.13 (iirc). But the 14 will sacrifice ground clearance.

66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

So... What's new on the build?

Atla

Post by Atla »

Is the Super Wagoneer a Trim Package? Or a ride package? (Axles/Gearing/Trans/Engine/etc?)
~Atla. (I'm just here for the pictures)
1983 J-10
2001 TJ

My Build Thread - http://fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=2722

66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

Atla wrote:Is the Super Wagoneer a Trim Package? Or a ride package? (Axles/Gearing/Trans/Engine/etc?)

Here's one of many threads on the subject:

http://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewtop ... f=7&t=6939

Topic author
Vengeanceasx

Post by Vengeanceasx »

Sorry guys, It has been a long time. The Wagoneer has been put on hold for, I ave a 71 chevelle that I am trying to finish. I got it all put together and back on he road and blew the fresh 454. Anyway, I will be posting some pictures of the steam cleaning.

Topic author
Vengeanceasx

Post by Vengeanceasx »

I think the left half of my keyboard is dying....

carnuck

Post by carnuck »

Stop drooling on it then! LOL! I just bought a new hard wired glow in the dark keyboard for $15 delivered.
Check my parts for sale near Seattle