My FSJ build thread

Area to show off your Custom Build threads.

Topic author
Loner

My FSJ build thread

Post by Loner »

Before I start I must add my history with FSJ's
I must also mention that I live off grid and my only internet at the moment is though my phone and I have yet to figure out how to post pictures from my photo bucket account with it.

My son sells just about every electronic phone know to man so when he gets here this Friday I'm going to have him help me. If I remember to ask him :banghead:

I first have to talk about the jeeps that I have owned. They deserve mentioning because without them I never would of wanted to own another.

The first FSJ in my life was my fathers.
This was the first vehicle I ever drove I was 8 at the time and I remember it well. It was a 65 Wagoneer. It had a 327 in it with a manual trans of some sort. It had a PTO winch and the paint was Prairie Gold inside and out. The bottom part of the out and some of the in was mostly rust.
I remember the day he bought it he traded in his old 62 chevy and 400.00 dollars for it. Someone had robbed the rear drive line out of it at the used car lot. Dad put it in 4 wheel and locked the hubs and we were off. We made it to the edge of the road and the front drive line fell out. Luckily the auto parts store was just down the road so he and I walked down there and got the parts to fix it.

He would drive it to work every day but, what I remember most about it was the camping,hunting and fishing trips we took in it.
During those trips I would get to drive it on some back road out in the middle of no where.
I loved that jeep I can still remember how it smelled. I also remember all the 22 casings and sunflower seed shells that were on the floor boards and the dash of the poor old thing. That old jeep never let us down heck we had a PTO winch on the front. (Which I still own) We could go anywhere with it! So we did,luckily we never needed it. My gramps need a pump pulled so dad and I went over to his house with the jeep. The plan was to use the winch to pull the pump. To are amazement the winch didn't work! The key was missing out of the keyway!

My old man new it was time to let it go one day when we were out on a adventure. We were putting along on a dirt road when the drivers side floor plan fell down and took part of the gas pedal with it. I was fifteen at the time and had hoped that the old jeep was going to be mine soon but it was not going to happen :cry:
I was so mad when he got rid of it. I still don't know what he did with it. But one thing I can tell you if I could buy it now I would give someone a lot more than it is worth.

More history later, loner
81 Cherokee Chief W/T :fsj:
41 GMC CCKW

Re: My FSJ build thread

Post by 243 »

Cool story, I have many like that but unfortunately, none with a Jeep.
1978 Cherokee NT, 5.3/4L60/NP241 in Progress

Topic author
Loner

Post by Loner »

My next jeep was a 64 Wagoneer that I payed 50 bucks and 3 days of bucking hay for.
The jeep had a 230 with a three speed in it.
I liked that jeep a lot but, the dang think had 5.88 gears in it. So driving it far was out.

The next jeep that I owned was a 74 Cherokee chief W/T 360.
Someone had put a sm465 with a NP 205 transfer case in it. It also had a PTO winch on the front and a drive line to the back off of the PTO.
This was the best jeep I have ever owned.
At the time I lived in a area that required 4 wheel drive just to get to town.
That ole jeep never let me down.
I moved into town and sold it. I tried buying it back a year later but the guy wouldn't sell it. Not long after that the guy rolled it in the snow.
It was one of those things I should of never sold.

I later bought a 77 cherokee chief to replace it.
I was getting it built the way I wanted it.
Then one night about 4 am during a snow storm a giant black oak came down in my yard and flattened the cherokee. It hit so hard all four tires popped off of their beads. I ended up cutting off the top so I could drive it. I used it for years around the place for a ranch truck.
The frame was bent so bad that I couldn't take it on the road.

No more stories my next post will be on the Cherokee I own now.
41 GMC CCKW

srobertsfsj

Post by srobertsfsj »

Cant wait to see the progress!

If you want to email pics I can post them for you.

scottrobertsco@gmail.com
Scott R.

'86 Grand Wagoneer "Super Chief" 5.3L drivetrain/ WT conversion / TT's Fabworks SOA and SF / 37x12.5x17 BFG A/T KO3 http://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewtop ... 294&p=3364

"After years of being paranoid about my Jeep’s temp going towards that 220F mark, I’m realizing that if it was real problem, Jeep engineers would have painted that area RED." - FSJ Guy

Lumpskie

Post by Lumpskie »

Cool stories. I hope my little guy has fond Jeep memories like those when he's older.
1989 Grand Wagoneer - Rebuilt 360, 2" Alcans, 10" travel Gabriel Guadian shocks.
1996 Land Cruiser - 1HD-T Diesel, Gturbo (23psi), Wholesale Automatics 442f, F/R ARBs, 35" Duratracs, ARB Rear Bumper, OME 2" lift, home built sliders and aluminum belly skid
2000 Honda Civic - Integra GSR engine, transmission, shift linkage and axles, 200hp, 33 combined mpg
2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution 9 - 437hp/447ft-lb

Topic author
Loner

Post by Loner »

Well here she is.

The jeep is a 81 Cherokee Chief W/T
258 TF727-208
The jeep belonged to a friend of mine. Last summer he decided to have the engine and trans rebuilt. The jeep has always had a problem with the engine dying when the trans was put in reverse. But runs wonderful in all forward gears and in reverse when the trans is cold. After spending the money and time rebuilding it. It still has the same problem.
He got so sick of trying to fix it that he was going to send it to the scrap.
So I asked him if I could have it for the scrap price and he just gave it to me.
One thing I was worried about was it was not going to pass the smog test.
Well I had to find a couple of things to pass the visual inspection and it passed! I had to advance the timing to get home after the test.
I live in a county where your vehicle only has to pass once.
Figuring the trans problem was a vacuum problem I took it home and started removing all the nest of vacuum lines. It didn't fix it!
Next I installed a weber 32/36 that was new and in the box in the jeep when I got it. Still didn't help but it sure ran better.
Then I figured might as well put a HEI in the jeep I only have three or four laying around for other projects. What a world of difference that made I bet I gained 30hp and I got rid of a mess of wiring. Still didn't help with the trans but the engine is now running like it should.
So I started digging on the net found were a guy unplugged his neutral safety switch to fix the same problem. Well that didn't work either.
There was a guy close to me that was parting out a 83 so I bought the t-5 out of it with the 208, drive lines ,clutch assembly ,crossmember and floor pan to replace the 727 only to find out on this forum that the T-5 is junk.
So I'm back trying to figure out what is up with the trans. A buddy of mine thinks he knows how to fix it(he has done it before) by putting a cotter key in one of the holes in the valve body.
When we try this I will be posting pictures hopefully it works.
If not I will put in the T-5 or try and find something better.

More later,loner
41 GMC CCKW

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Are you able to keep it running in reverse at all if you give it some throttle? Or are you always jumping out and pushing it backwards?

Also, have you checked the shift linkage is adjusted properly?
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Topic author
Loner

Post by Loner »

Stuka wrote:Are you able to keep it running in reverse at all if you give it some throttle? Or are you always jumping out and pushing it backwards?

Shift linkage and kick down are good.
I can get it to go in reverse just fine when the trans fluid is cold. Once it is heated it slams in reverse hard and kills the engine.
41 GMC CCKW

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Loner wrote:
Stuka wrote:Are you able to keep it running in reverse at all if you give it some throttle? Or are you always jumping out and pushing it backwards?

Shift linkage and kick down are good.
I can get it to go in reverse just fine when the trans fluid is cold. Once it is heated it slams in reverse hard and kills the engine.
Ok, that sounds like an internal issue. Who rebuilt it? I would call another shop (Maybe Quality Transmission, had good luck with them) and ask them what they think. I am thinking something in the rebuild wasn't rebuilt. Most likely the valve body.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Topic author
Loner

Post by Loner »

I have no idea who built it.
Good point that something in the rebuild may not of been rebuilt.
I wonder if the VB could be warped.
I also wonder if it might be trying to shift into two gears at once.
I will soon find out I hope.

Loner
41 GMC CCKW

Topic author
Loner

Post by Loner »

Well never liked the look of the stock brush guard. Took it off and painted the grill.

Also spent the time to clean out the years of stuff in the cold air vents.
I have done this before and I feel the easiest way is to take off the finders and drill a hole with a hole saw to get the stuff out.

s455.photobucket.com/user/Minermatt/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_6.jpg.html]Image[/URL]
41 GMC CCKW

Topic author
Loner

Post by Loner »

A new one on me. Anybody have a idea why the PO cut this out?

Image[/URL]
41 GMC CCKW