Windows 8 Pro: $39.99 for a limited time!

Area for General NON-Jeep related chat. Topics are typically not moderated, but must fall within the Use Guidelines.

Topic author
The PIG Smith

Windows 8 Pro: $39.99 for a limited time!

Post by The PIG Smith »

You Linux and Mac enthusiasts, hold your comments, this is directed toward Windows users looking for a bargain.

http://bit.ly/Tyf2tL

For those that do not have access to TechNet or a MSDN account, then here is a good deal if you want a legal copy of Windows 8.

DO NOT let the word "UPGRADE" lead to some false assumption.
Like Windows 7, there is NO UPGRADES for Windows 8.
What this $40 gets you is a full blown copy of Windows 8 Pro.
With a few exceptions, you will need to back up your data, install Win8 that will reformat your hard drive, you will need to reload your apps and restore your data.
If you have XP or Windows 7, stay there...if you have Vista, consider moving to Windows 8 (or XP, Windows 7, Linux, DOS or anything else!)

I am trying Window 8 at home....have lots of mixed feelings about it.
We are staying with XP and Win7-x64 at work...no way am I ever gonna suggest Win8 or Server 2012.

...but new machines are being shipped with Win8.
Like it or hate it, it's here to stay.

IMHO, I see Windows 8 going down the same path as Vista...never really caught on...not like XP or 7
Bryan Smith
Fort Wayne, Indiana
2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
- 75th Anniversary Edition - 1941 Trim Package - Recon Green --Daily Driver
1986 Jeep J20
- Super clean rig from the AZ/CA state line -- Current Project
1982 Jeep J10
- Has become a Long Term Project.
1981 Jeep J20
- Commercial flat bed - Lost in a Divorce --gone
1987 Jeep J20 Pioneer
- Former Rick Bielec aka Ricbee plow rig. Major rust!! --gone

IFSJA Member #1933 Joined November 30, 2001

Knucklehead

Re: Windows 8 Pro: $39.99 for a limited time!

Post by Knucklehead »

We have gone to Server 2012 for all new server deployments. We plan to upgrade our active directory when 2012 sp1 is released. I have Windows 8 on 2 different systems and love it. I also had a Surface tablet over the weekend. It is a VERY nice piece of hardware. Thanks for the link. Might have to pick up a copy.

Don S

Post by Don S »

Howdy..

I’ve read over 500 pro and con comments from people with a lot more computer savvy than I have. The people are about 50 -50 for and against Windows 8 some have already got rid of it and gone back to windows 7. Some say if you like to socialize you’ll like it and if you work you won’t. At this point they’re saying a lot of software is not compatible with W-8. I’ve read how to operate W-8 and how it has two ways to do it but I don’t like ether one.
When I start doing my computing on a cloud I’ll be up there with my ancestors! My learning curve is rather flat and my guru says I should upgrade to Windows 7. I’ve been on XP-mce (Sony) for ten years and still haven’t got it all down yet but I like it! My other computers have W-95, W-95b and XP-pro and none have ever been re-booted. And another thing, it seems like every great new advancement of window explorer does away with features that I liked. :(

Have a good one.. Don S

lindel

Post by lindel »

Win 8 is (at least IMO) a glorified smart phone operating system. If you don't have a touch screen, it's crippled. I'll be sticking with Win 7 for my, and my family's, machines.
Lindel

carnuck

Post by carnuck »

I'm running Suse/XP dual boot. Rarely turn on the XP side. Once I figure out how to configure my printer in Suse, I won't need to boot it for anything anymore.
Check my parts for sale near Seattle