Suspension is haggard, rear quarters are haggard, Jeep is too low. Where do I go from here?

Area for Offroad Modification Tech

Topic author
Nikkormat

Suspension is haggard, rear quarters are haggard, Jeep is too low. Where do I go from here?

Post by Nikkormat »

Well my new-old rear springs are getting pretty dang saggy again.

And my rear quarters are pretty chewed up.

And the Jeeps too low.

So where do I go from here? Up, obviously. :fsj:

I'm not opposed to the idea of moving the rear axle back a little to open up the wheel well and loose some overhang. Keeping in mind that my 74 is post mount rear, are there some spring perches I could buy and weld on the back with some longer leafs? I think I need to look for about 6 inches of lift and 3-4 more inches of wheelbase.

3 inch springs and a shackle reverse would take care of the front lift.

Does anyone have a better idea for the rear?

Does anyone have any idea what spring I would need to use to gain 3-4 inches of wheelbase and 5.5-6 inches of height?
Gabe, "reformed" Jeep hoarder.

Stuka
Site Admin

Re: Suspension is haggard, rear quarters are haggard, Jeep is too low. Where do I go from here?

Post by Stuka »

You can convert to box mount rear springs in back, but you have to remove the front hanger, which is a PITA. Its both riveted and welded.

If you moved to box mounts, and when shackle flip, with GM 62" springs, you gain about 3" of wheelbase I think (going off memory, may be more/less). And about 6-7" of lift, depending on the springs, and if you removed the overloads.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

ClovisMan

Re: Suspension is haggard, rear quarters are haggard, Jeep is too low. Where do I go from here?

Post by ClovisMan »

Tad does make a shackle-flip kit for the rear post mounts now.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/3174017 ... 525012371/
88 Grand Wagoneer - The Money Pit - 360/727/NP208 - SOA/SF - Lots of other stuff SOLD
78 Cherokee Chief - Copper - 360/TH400/Quadratrac - 4 inch BDS lift - 33 inch tires SOLD

Topic author
Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

Wow that's good timing, that's certainly an option.

With 6 inches of lift what size tire will the front fenders take without cutting of major rubbing?

ClovisMan

Post by ClovisMan »

Without a lot of cutting you can fit 33's. The rear fenders are you're main problem with any Wag.
88 Grand Wagoneer - The Money Pit - 360/727/NP208 - SOA/SF - Lots of other stuff SOLD
78 Cherokee Chief - Copper - 360/TH400/Quadratrac - 4 inch BDS lift - 33 inch tires SOLD

68glad

Post by 68glad »

If you move the rear axle 3-4" and bigger tires you will have to trim anyways.
68 Gladiator- RIP
78 Wagoneer- 401, D60/70, 203/205, 38's, Dual PS pump, Hydroboost, OBA, OBW, bla bla bla.

If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything.

Topic author
Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

Right but I don't want to trim the front fenders. I want to lengthen the rear openings

Topic author
Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

Like Tads pushmobile

Topic author
Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

Ok so I think this is the master plan.

Skyjacker 4 inch onto the 91 with 31's

Tad's kit and the stock 91 leaves onto the Cherokee with 33's.

And eventually something with big tires, as much lift as nessecary, and some M715 esque fenders. Maybe something like CROM with wider tires.