Radio Flyer-84 Grand Waggy

Show off your FSJ photos and videos!

toothofwar

Re: Radio Flyer-84 Grand Waggy

Post by toothofwar »

I may have missed it, but where in the world did you get the center console from? That's beautiful!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Topic author
dodgerammit

Post by dodgerammit »

Thanks!

03-? Ford Exploder. The ones that have the notorious transmission problems. Junkyards are full of decent bodied ones.

Biggest challenge is finding a non-soccer mom version that has a whathef***isthat?!-goo-free console.

Rustoleum in the khaki color was the coating for dash and console.

Still gotta permanently mount it, but that will be after the A/C is reinstalled. Want to try to tuck it tight enough to firewall that the fold and tumble rear seat still functions.
84 Grand Waggy-Radio Flyer (Garnet Red/3M Ebony Metallic woodgrain, with honey interior) AMC 360 :cry: 2004 4.8LS/Advance Adapter/727/242 D44/AMC20 Serehill tailgate and headlight harnesses :fsj: Ongoing thread-viewtopic.php?t=11897

92 Wrangler Islander 4.0/32RH/231 D30/D35 RHD

toothofwar

Post by toothofwar »

I'll definitely have to look into that. Are you going to try to incorporate the ac into the console vents? If so I'll definitely be paying close attention to the details.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Topic author
dodgerammit

Post by dodgerammit »

Yeah. Not much to it. Just gotta tap into the bottom of the A/C duct at the console and use some flex hose to connect.
84 Grand Waggy-Radio Flyer (Garnet Red/3M Ebony Metallic woodgrain, with honey interior) AMC 360 :cry: 2004 4.8LS/Advance Adapter/727/242 D44/AMC20 Serehill tailgate and headlight harnesses :fsj: Ongoing thread-viewtopic.php?t=11897

Topic author
dodgerammit

Post by dodgerammit »

Update time.

A few months back, I scored some really mint oem carpet in the color I was wanting to replace the ratty carpet it had with. Honey or tan :D vs pale almond :P . The seats had already been changed before I bought it and were the darker color. I have slowly been changing the other interior bits. The carpet was all that was left.

So, yesterday on my B-Day, I gave my Jeep a present.

Out with the old.

Since I had the carpet out, I wasn't gonna just throw the new over an unprepped floor. I broke out the wire wheel, the sander, and some rustoleum to clean up the bad spots.

Topic author
dodgerammit

Post by dodgerammit »

Driver's side was by far the worst, but cleaner that what I'm used to.

Passenger side had less scale, but one pinhole.

Back was really clean. Just some minor spots that cleaned up nice.

Topic author
dodgerammit

Post by dodgerammit »

Put the carpet in during free time over the last couple of days. You can really see the color difference here.
Floor carpet is the honey or tan color while the riser under the rear seat and rear fenders are still covered in the almond color.

This shows how well it now matches the seats.

The carpet is in really good shape. I couldn't be happier with the results.
Not to mention all holes for seats, wiring, seatbelts, etc were already cut out.

Topic author
dodgerammit

Post by dodgerammit »

Woohoo! My how time flies. I've had this thing almost 5 years now! Updates to come!

Topic author
dodgerammit

Post by dodgerammit »

So, I had the original engine rebuilt.

Pretty isn't it?

Glam shot. Eat your heart out, Stellantis abominations.

Problem was. The engine never was right after this.

The rings never would seat.

The *$$hole builder didn't stand by his job and instead tried to blame my parts choices :x
Come to find out, this guy 'wItH 40 YeArS oF ExPeRiEnCe, blah, blah, blah' didn't test the wire for voltage that he used to power the electric choke.
So, essentially, I put a good 1000 miles on the motor with it running rich the whole time.

Never again will he get my business. Eff that guy.

Topic author
dodgerammit

Post by dodgerammit »

In the meantime, while the Jeep sat for a FREAKIN YEAR at the builder while he had a thumb up his*$$, screwing up my motor, I was already moving on something I've wanted for a LOOOOOONG time:

A 28x50 metal shop.

Topic author
dodgerammit

Post by dodgerammit »

The first thing that got sat inside..... 8-)

Regardless, I still drove the Jeep with the smoky engine.

And continued to do the Jeep stuff.

Started putting some tools in the shop.

But it was as dark as a dungeon inside....

So, I went to the local rental facility and rented a trencher.
Beats the hell out of hand digging.

220v power!

Hired my nephew :D and showed him how to do some basic wiring. (Don't worry, the wiring connection to the box was the last connection made, and it was done by me).

We did well. Nothing burned down. :lol:

Topic author
dodgerammit

Post by dodgerammit »

Started insulating the walls...
...And framing some interior walls.
The LM7 engine patiently waits.... :mrgreen:

A good friend was cleaning up a lot in a nearby town and found this mini buggy. Sent me a picture before he scrapped it asking if I could use it for anything...
Damn ADHD got to me, and did a side project.. :lol:

Cut some holes in a brand new shop wall....

Lube rack. Donated by that same friend.

Wife and I did some more of that 'Jeep Life' crap

Discovered that coroplast (sign board material commonly wasted on silly things such as election campaign eyesores along road sides) is available in 5x10 pieces. Perfect for spanning the 5x10 gaps in the framing of the building! :D

All work and no play....

Topic author
dodgerammit

Post by dodgerammit »

Finally, all the holes have been cut in the shop!

From left to right, French doors leading into what will become my woodworking shop (14x28), the next door leads to what will be a home gym my wife has wanted (10x28). It also got a window just to the right of that door a bit later (one more hole cut in the wall). The 'shop' is 25x28. :-bd

Stickers!!!!

Needed a large metal workbench. Found this old, beat up desk for sale locally and bolted my vise to it....

It was about this time (June of this year) that I was gonna pull the jeep in for surgery.

So, of course, life went exactly as planned.....

:banghead:

My daily (2000 WS6) decided it was gonna throw a b!+ch fit and want in the shop first.

Really, I was having too much fun with the skinny pedal and something let go in the valvetrain.

A local shop diagnosed it as a #8 lifter and wanted $3000 to fix it :shock:

Their logic "Well, you gotta pull the heads to get to them"
Me:"Yes, I'm aware of that. That still doesn't justify $3K to replace lifters when a whole set of GM lifters and needed gaskets runs $400. That's $2600 in labor for 15 hours?"
Them: clears throat "Well, if it is more and we have to pull the cam.... well, you gotta pull the engine..."
Me: "No you don't! You can yank the radiator and timing cover and pull it straight out the front!"
Them: *crickets

Sighs... If you want something done right......

Topic author
dodgerammit

Post by dodgerammit »

Time to get greasy! :)

Started tearing the accessories off and was down to the long block on day one.

Over the next couple of weeks, I worked on it after work (midnight) for an hour or two at a time till I got it completed.
Found the culprit. Broken pushrod.
Both halves came out after I pulled the heads.

Handy-dandy, high dollar LS/Viper motor spring compressor tool made to last.
Down to the short block
Dang notched heads requiring graphite gaskets.... :x
After 6 hours of work with fine synthetic scotchbrite and kroil, the mating surfaces were clean.
Cleaning the bolt holes in the block was another endeavor altogether.

The cam and everything else was good, but I ordered everything to rebuild the entire valvetrain since I wasn't sure what I'd find once inside.

So, out came the stock cam

New cam specs. The most streetable one I could get (aka a baby cam)

Spa day for the new lifters

New cam in, new timing chain on, and fresh oil pump. The oil pump o-ring is a PITA when you can only drop the pan 1/2".
:!: Made a mental note to make sure the motor in the Jeep would be completely serviceable once installed. :!: :idea:

Fancy tool making easy work of the new beehive springs

Beginning to look like an engine!

:twisted:

I fired it up on a Thursday, burped the coolant, made sure the fans worked, then drove it to work that afternoon. It sounded great and has incredible power (I already have a long tube header setup with true duals).

Best part, I have $1700 total and a whole new valvetrain.

I had been dailying Radio Flyer during this time. :-bd

It's mid July by now.

Now, I can get to the Jeep!

Topic author
dodgerammit

Post by dodgerammit »

Guess again! :lol:

Overtime at work went through the roof, so for the next two months, I ate, worked, showered, and slept. :|

Finally, the craziness relented, so it was time to do the Jeep.....

...life things again. 8-)

Vacation had been scheduled for a couple of months, with the plan being the Jeep would be repowered for the trip.

As you can see, everything went according to plan. :P

So, smoky motor propelled us one last time to a little R&R before I did the R&R on Radio Flyer.

view of our campsite from the lake
Foggy, cool, calm mornings on liquid glass
Watching the fog burn off for a warm day on the water
Exploring nearby islands

On our final day there, the wife finally had enough of her cheapie, beginner sit-in kayak she had been gifted and was adamant the next time out, she was going to have a decent sit on top.

Once home, we unpacked, I pulled the Jeep straight into the shop and got ready for teardown.
This was Sunday, right before Labor day.

The next day, a local sporting goods store was running a heck of a sale on kayaks. Radio flyer was already minus a radiator, some wiring, the grille and front bumper, and the hood was sitting off of it.

Wife: "So, how are we gonna haul a kayak home?"

Me:

Your Eagle of course! :-bd

Topic author
dodgerammit

Post by dodgerammit »

FINALLY!!!! :D

Coffin tank out.
Thankfully, the frame rail was clean with no scale at all behind it! A little flapper disc work and some rustoleum would do fine.

Since, I decided to run the 2 door s-10 Blazer tank, the spare tire had to go.
The same friend helped me pull the front clip

A moment of silence....
:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
Such a beautiful creation, ruined by arrogance. :x

Keeping the 727 since it was rebuilt at the same time as the original motor. I'm using the Advance Adapters Gen3 LS to torqueflight model. P/N716131-V

Because this removes the provision for the shift linkage, I had to fab up a way to attach it to the bellhousing myself.

This is where better notes in the instructions provided on Advance Adapter's website would have been greatly appreciated.
I was blindsided by this revelation in the middle of the install and a call to them got indifference on their end even though they knew fully this was an issue. Really lousy customer support. :x

The adapter comes with a special flexplate, the adapter for the motor,

And an adapter for the converter.

Advance also doesn't pay attention to what bolts a person actually needs for this job as their kit is lacking in good descriptions of the bolts you get, as well as missing bolts you need. Be prepared to make a few trips to the local hardware store.... :banghead:

EDIT****
They also specify this is to be used behind the 6cyl motor and not the V-8. First, the AMC I-6s never were ahead of the 727.
Secondly, these transmissions never cared what motor they were behind as long as it was AMC. You could put the 904 behind the V-8 or the 727 behind the 258 and they'd work fine.
They also specified to use the I-6 converter with the LS swap. The part number they gave is obsolete and is actually a part number for a later lockup style unit found behind 4.0s. So again, lots of vague warnings and poor tips with no reason as to why you couldn't use it behind the AMC V-8.

I'm here editing this after about 500 now 4000 Over 2 years and almost 20,000!miles of driving to say it works flawlessly using the Hughes convertor I ordered for the original AMC360.

I made sure the converter had the allowable amount of fore/aft play (about 1/8" is perfect, but you want over 1/10" and less than 3/16"). Mine was between 1/8" and 9/32", so it was good to go. :-bd

At this point, I tried to install the motor with the transmission in the vehicle. Due to the sensitivity of alignment, this was NOT gonna happen. So, out the rest of the drivetrain came.

My friend dropped by again and helped me mate the assembly together, hoist it up and into its new home.
Unfortunately, I was very busy and trying to stay focused on all the things I needed to check off during this process, so no pictures :-?

I do want to give credit to a great product.
This company: https://flyinironfab.com/ makes great products for our rigs.
I used their fully adjustable motor mounts and their PCM mount and couldn't be happier.
The basic instructions included with their mounts puts the 3 page Advance Adapter instructions to shame.
It's in place!
Friend helped me put the clip back on before he left.
Last edited by dodgerammit on Mon Jan 08, 2024 9:37 am, edited 3 times in total.

Topic author
dodgerammit

Post by dodgerammit »

Now that the organ transplant was complete, it was time to hook all of the nervous system and arteries up!
LT1swap.com has all the info you need.

PCM connectors were gonna lose some weight since I'm running an non-electronic transmission. :geek:

What a rat's nest!

Taming the shrew

Tracing wiring continues as I mock up the locations of the computer and an underhood fuse/relay box

Since the radiator is fairly new, I decided to keep it. Speedway motors makes this convenient adpater for the top hose allowing you to tie in the steam ports.

Almost there!

Topic author
dodgerammit

Post by dodgerammit »

During all of this project, since I pulled the front clip, I decided I'd replace all the body mounts...

After all, everything else is pretty clean on this rig. I won't have the trouble everyone else is having.
:roll:

ONE! JUST ONE ACTUALLY CAME OUT after soaking with kroil EVERYDAY for 3 weeks. :banghead:

I ended up using a 2" hole saw (I think) to access the inner retainers and break them out of the way. Then, I used the welder to weld a 1/2" nut onto the capture nuts inside the hat channel. The heat from welding, combined with a breaker bar allowed me to remove the other 6. One of the ones ahead of the rear axle, I simply used a recip saw to eliminate.

Glad that's over!

New fuel tank!

No electronics for transmission means I need to give the motor a way to tell it when to shift properly. Enter Lokar and a special bracket I made for the job.

Topic author
dodgerammit

Post by dodgerammit »

Next came the big moment!

First fire had a few hitches (more on that later).

Second fire had an "Oh $#!+" moment of the shift linkage being on the edge of reverse when it read 'park' on the indicator.

The garage door was open (thankfully) and being a 9x8 meant that the hood being up on the Jeep still had room to clear as I rushed to slam the driver's door (that I had open) shut before it got folded backwards by going through the garage door opening. Once the Jeep (and my skinny butt) slipped through the shop door, I flung the driver's door back open and with a move that rivaled any stunt in Mission Impossible, I swung up and in, slamming the brake pedal to the floor, stopping just 5 feet from the backyard fence. :o

After shutting the engine off and calming down, I did a walk around of the Jeep. No damage. So, after I verified my pants were clean, I restarted the Jeep and carefully babied it back inside the shop.

Not the first drive I wanted!

Once my heart rate was below 3000bpm, I made this video. Hope it works for you guys.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/6bC2vJKhG13QxEb67

And that's where things went south.

Topic author
dodgerammit

Post by dodgerammit »

The next day, I went to start it to drive it to the local exhaust shop to have a y pipe made.

A hellacious noise followed the fire up. I knew something went bad. Real bad.

I called up the guy I purchased the motor from with the info. He had went through it, and while it technically didn't have a warranty, he would look at issues on a case by case basis.

Since I hadn't been into the motor to do any modifications and was going to run it as it came from the factory, he would make it right.

I told him I would find out what went wrong before I decided how I wanted to proceed.

After a compression test, I knew something was amiss on cylinder 7. ZERO compression.

The valvetrain functioned fine when I removed the valve cover and rolled the engine over by hand.

I set 7 to TDC and put a bore scope in. Piston looked good from what I could see. Walls looked fine. Time to roll the engine over some and get a better look at the cylinder walls of 7.

The piston didn't move.

$#!+

So, I pulled the oil pan. Remember how I wanted to make sure I could do that in the Jeep after doing the oil pump in the T/A? It paid off.

This is what the windage tray looked like:

And if this link works, this is the video from underneath I sent the guy:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/qxR8pj9bn9MEPN9m9

So, my friend came over, helped me pull the front clip(again), and out it came:

:(