Radio Flyer-84 Grand Waggy

Show off your FSJ photos and videos!

Topic author
dodgerammit

Re: Radio Flyer-84 Grand Waggy

Post by dodgerammit »

So, the LS engine guy came through great.
He would either swap me out an engine he had in stock (a 4.8 LR4 from a 2004 express van that looked absolutely great internally), or he would get me another 5.3 whenever he got another one in.

Since, I'm not looking to compete with the Jones' and simply want a fully functioning vintage rig for weekend projects and camping, that has full parts availability, I told him the 4.8 would do fine for me.

So he delivered it and exchanged it for the blown 5.3 :)

I had already set up my return style fuel system to returnless in anticipation of this motor.

And also purchased a 4 way steam port tube since it allows for easier cooling system burping.

So, the intake came off, and the new steam port setup went on with fresh seals.

At this point, my friend once again came through by assisting me with reassembling the drivetrain, reinstalling it, and reinstalling the front clip.

Also by this point, I was over the process, wasn't enjoying the moment, and shirked off taking glam shots.

I did take a picture either yesterday or today of it in the Jeep. This was after the first several test runs along with a drive.

Thankfully, everything went smoother this go around.

Here is a video from the 4th or 5th shakedown run after I had gotten the shift points closer to where I want them.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/e9npSqKM98ESUYjm6

So, the Jeep is officially repowered and driving in its new format. Still a few final bugs/quirks to sort (Like the stupid flex track that broke in the passenger front door) such as trying to soften the shifts just a tad more. Still have to go to the exhaust shop and have the y pipe made, but have a flex exhaust setup so I could prove it a bit before i have someone else touch it.
84 Grand Waggy-Radio Flyer (Garnet Red/3M Ebony Metallic woodgrain, with honey interior) AMC 360 :cry: 2004 4.8LS/Advance Adapter/727/242 D44/AMC20 Serehill tailgate and headlight harnesses :fsj: Ongoing thread-viewtopic.php?t=11897

92 Wrangler Islander 4.0/32RH/231 D30/D35 RHD

BaldBeardedBastard

Post by BaldBeardedBastard »

Wooo thats a heck of an update!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

'86 GW Cummins 2.8/4l60E. Hopefully bouncing down a dusty road somewhere.
Build Thread

Texxxan

Post by Texxxan »

Wow!! I believe this is the route I’m going to take on my 84. LS with 4L60E. Thank you for your write up and updates.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author
dodgerammit

Post by dodgerammit »

Texxxan wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 5:30 pm Wow!! I believe this is the route I’m going to take on my 84. LS with 4L60E. Thank you for your write up and updates.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Much more common that adapting the 727, but the trans was just rebuilt and I didn't want to spend $$$ on new driveshafts. :D
84 Grand Waggy-Radio Flyer (Garnet Red/3M Ebony Metallic woodgrain, with honey interior) AMC 360 :cry: 2004 4.8LS/Advance Adapter/727/242 D44/AMC20 Serehill tailgate and headlight harnesses :fsj: Ongoing thread-viewtopic.php?t=11897

Topic author
dodgerammit

Post by dodgerammit »

BaldBeardedBastard wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 4:46 pm Wooo thats a heck of an update!

Isn't it? Two years worth!

Topic author
dodgerammit

Post by dodgerammit »

Longest drive so far after swap. Back to my hometown 30 miles away.

Decided after all of the tooling around in the local area and town, I'd top the tank off to see what "city driving range" was.

And drumroll please....

15.8mpg on the local backroads/city stop and go, with very little driving at or above 55mph. Most was below 45. :shock:

Holyfreakinmoly!

The power of the 4.8 is adequate for what I want. I'm still rocking the 727 stock transmission. The axles are still 2.72s, so no OD is really needed.

I'm very happy so far. :-bd

BaldBeardedBastard

That's great mileage especially with the 727!!

Build Thread

Topic author
dodgerammit

Post by dodgerammit »

So, I did a little more maintenance work on Radio Flyer and discovered the dreaded black goo in the transfer case. Drained and refilled with atf and discovered the rear output seal is leaking. The center of the yoke is dry, so that odd seal is okay. Gonna pick up a new seal and stab it in soon and just rock it for now. 4wd is still functioning right now and I'm already on the lookout for a np242 since it'll give me the full-time 4wd function similar to the 229. I'll visit the local pull it yards till I score one, then overhaul it and swap the input shaft and put it in.

I also had a Y pipe fabbed up and a high flow magnaflow catalytic installed. Nice, quiet jeep ride. I can hear the squeaks from the interior bits. :lol:

Other than that, the only hiccup has been a bit of sluggish running last week.

Having had a LS powered car for over a decade, I know to check it with my scanner. They won't throw O2 codes immediately, but I can graph them and watch for functions. Sure enough, the right bank was inop.

New Bosch O2s installed today and all is well. Also have blue streak 8.5mm wires and fresh plugs on the shop shelf for whenever.

FWIW, MSD 8.5mm wires have been tested and have the best bang for the buck lowest resistance, just didn't want to pony up the $100 plus for them right now.
Blue streaks were $30 from rockauto, so I'll see how they do.

Drove it today for a bit. Gonna do an oil change hopefully next week.

Keep Jeeping folks! :fsj:

Topic author
dodgerammit

Post by dodgerammit »

wimsurf

Post by wimsurf »

looking great! a custom nameplate, and a running wagoneer with double digit mileage, that's achievements!
1984 grand wagoneer
  • topaz gold | deep night blue,
  • AMC 360 v8 | 2019 5.7 hemi,
  • TF727 auto 3 speed | 8hp70 8 speed
  • nutmeg interior | sand or almond interior to be decided
it's a project now:
https://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewto ... 35#p197535

Chubbinius

Post by Chubbinius »

That is an awesome touch! Love it!
1970 1414X Wagoneer "The Pig"
-Custom Special
-Dauntless 350 V8
-D27 front/D44 rear
2006 XK (65th Ann Edition)-DD

Topic author
dodgerammit

Post by dodgerammit »

Thanks for the kind words!

Update:

Decided to reseal the output of the Transfer case as it was slinging fluid from around the yoke.

Purchased the seal, a new puller tool, and had some RTV on hand.

Tackled it Wednesday. Used the impact to break the yoke nut loose, and pulled the seal puller out of the package. A couple of minutes later, the seal was out.

And, here's where things went south again....

So, As I wiped out the seal housing, I felt two deep gouges corresponding to where I had used the seal puller. WTF?

So, this brand new seal puller had a manufacturing flaw/ unfinished surface. Basically, if you know how metal is sheared/stamped out, you'll understand, there will be a ridge or raised burr on one side of the edge. This burr was still on this puller and was razor sharp. :banghead:

So, now my case has two gouges that I have to contend with.... :x

I applied RTV in hopes it would suffice, but after letting it set up overnight and driving it, it is pouring nearly as much as before, but this time around the outside of the seal.... And yes, I know about the rubber washer style seal on the output shaft itself and did add RTV to it at the splines and under the nut. It was dry as I disassembled, so it wasn't leaking.

Anyhoo, I need to move this 242 swap up ASAP. A trip to the local pick and pull yielded nothing except post 98 era cases, which have no speedo provision along with the wrong front output yoke, so extra $$$ to make them work.

Scoured Fakebook marketplace and found a complete drivetrain dropout from a 98 GC complete with the 242 case. Bonus is, it was local!
Messaged the seller, asking if they'd consider selling just the case, and they replied they had already separated the transmission and sold it over the weekend, so the case was fair game. :-bd

It is now in my shop waiting for me to get the rear main seal replaced on the Eagle. That is a whole can of worms in itself.... :roll:

Once I get that thing done, the case goes on the workbench for teardown.

Topic author
dodgerammit

Post by dodgerammit »

Since the old antenna cable has been damaged the whole time I've owned Radio Flyer, I swapped in a new antenna from BJ's off road today between the rain showers.
Turned on the Retrosound radio and-

I have tunes now. A bonus, I no longer have to park across the street from the local station to listen to the radio!

Siriusly thinking about a small Sirius receiver for road trips since I also have it on my phone and love actually hearing music vs long blocks of commercials for a change.

Topic author
dodgerammit

Post by dodgerammit »

Picked up the last big Christmas gift on the shopping list today. Put over 100 miles round trip on Radio Flyer. Everything performed flawlessly if you ignore the leaking transfer case and heater core (The latter is getting changed this week).

Took the state route to a location a couple of towns away. This path was chosen to test the new engine's ability on some decent hills that would give me an idea of how it will perform in the mountains when we vacation again.

Even with the baby 4.8, keeping the 727, and retaining the 2.72 ratio, it confidently held a steady speed with minimal throttle input. Moderate input would allow speed increases, albeit gradual.

No detonation.

No smoking out the exhaust.

No drama.

No cars lining up behind me.

It just operated the way it should.

That, and I had tunes to listen to the whole time. 8-)

Topic author
dodgerammit

Post by dodgerammit »

So, after dealing with the rubber shift handle falling off since day one of ownership, I came up with a solution I thought worthy of my Jeep.

BaldBeardedBastard

Please tell me your shifter is still the same a month later.

Build Thread

Topic author
dodgerammit

Post by dodgerammit »

BaldBeardedBastard wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 8:53 pm Please tell me your shifter is still the same a month later.

Yep. No issues. Drilled the insert bottom out and a couple inches into the wood portion of the tap handle. Just used a drill bit that was slightly undersized to the shift arm. Wiggled, twisted, and pressed until I bottomed the tap handle out.No epoxy or glue. She hasn't moved since.

Topic author
dodgerammit

Post by dodgerammit »

My brother borrowed my T/A for a couple of weeks since his truck was in the shop. During that time, I've daily driven the Jeep with no drama.

I've had the T/A back this last week and only drove it one day. :lol:

Friday, I drove to work with the temps in the upper 60s and all the windows down as I cruised through town.

I made sure to drive the Jeep since when I left a bit after midnight, I came out to this:

Ended up getting about 3" of the yucky white stuff.

Topic author
dodgerammit

Post by dodgerammit »

Finally got time in the shop for Radio Flyer again. Wife's Eagle, Blue Jean was in previously for about 2 months while I redid the rear main and some rust repair. I need to start a thread on that. :P

Before pulling the Jeep in, I wanted to rebuild the case since it was coming apart for the longer input shaft swap.

Draining the fluid. It was dark. Like most things here in hickville, probably was never serviced.

On the desk for teardown:

Ordered the parts from Novak to rebuild and modify the case. Also ordered their shifter to bolt into the Jeep.

Made a quick trip to Northern tool with a $20 off coupon and picked this up. Hazard Fraught never seemed to have one in stock. With the coupon, I got the NT one for the same price. Wanted one for a long time. Now I have one.

Case apart and input shafts set side by side. Long one (new) installed in differential. Short one (original) on right.

Case rebuilt, sealed, and almost ready to go in

Carpet rolled back to access tunnel cover

Cover removed. You can see the Lokar kickdown cable on the transmission

Topic author
dodgerammit

Post by dodgerammit »

So, here is where MR dumbf*** local hick mechanic wItH 40 YeArS oF ExPeRiEnCe failed me again.

He supposedly rebuilt the transmission. It shifts nice and firm, so hopefully he didn't eff it up like he did the motor. However, I have noticed there has been a slow leak between the case and extension housing of the transmission for some time now. I decided to feel of the seal and see if it happened to have been damaged when the 229 was shoved back in at dumbf***'s shop.

*reaches up and feels seal. "Hmm, that feels kinda brittle..." *seal gives under finger pressure-SNAP! "@#X&!"

Yep. Mr Dumbf*** wItH 40 YeArS oF ExPeRiEnCe was too lazy to put in a f***ing new seal while EVERYTHING was apart for a f***ing year at his shop! :banghead:

A trip to the parts store and this seal is what you need to replace it.

It took less than 5 MINUTES to remove and reinstall the new one.

Cleaned the excessive silicone from the extension housing (if Mr. Dumbf*** had used the proper seal he wouldn't have needed all that goop to try to seal the case :roll: ) and installed the case. No photos of this. Lots of frustration and language on my part. Finally got it in. Like the Grinch says, "Almost lost my cool, there"

Novak linkage installed

I thought I would have enough room to install the shifter to the left of the linkage and reuse the Exploder console I've grown fond of having in the Jeep

However, with my meager shop equipment and tools, I was unable to get the bend tight enough to fit through that cutout. So, I made another cut (on the tunnel cover) and went to the right of the linkage instead: