My tailgate window finally self destructed, this should fix

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
DanHS

My tailgate window finally self destructed, this should fix

Post by DanHS »

My tailgate window has for a long time, defied convention and continued to work fine. Eventually a wire cracked, but a simple splice fixed that.

Well finally a couple weeks ago, my window decided not to roll down. The lifter channel rusted to bits and ripped off the glass and bent into pieces, leaving the window wedged at an angle partially open. Luckily, I was able to unjam the glass and carefully lower it down to open the tailgate. This is what I found attached to the lifter arms:

After some thinking, I went to Home Depot and bought some 3/4" angle and some 1" flat stock, mocked it up on the glass, and tacked it all into position. Then I took it off the glass, and started welding:

Unfortunately, in my excitement and haste, I welded it too fast and caused it to get hot and warp a little. Luckily however, I was able to bend it back into shape and it became less warped as it cooled. Then I welded the old tracks/slots on, and the guide bits:

The final steps were to prime it, glue the glass in using Goop glue, and then paint it before assembly. It slid right in and fit perfectly:
Hopefully the glass doesn't mind being glued directly into the rigid steel lifter channel, without the rubber strip it was seated on in the original channel.

This is how I fasten the window in, a large washer and E-clip. The E-clips have stayed put for a few years so far.

Of course, while I was doing this repair, the tailgate latch handle which had bent decided to finally break, so I welded that back together and then reinforced it:

That whole pocket rusted out so I just cut out the remnants and rolled over the cut edges. To seal up the rust and make it look less terrible I painted it with some rubberized paint, which seems to work really well actually. I think I will use this stuff to paint the rest of the interior side of the tailgate, it's not as thick and tough as bedliner, but it's better than scratched paint and rust.:

Saul32

Re: My tailgate window finally self destructed, this should

Post by Saul32 »

Good work!
88' Grand Wagoneer
Comp cam 260
Holley T/A
Edlebrock performer intake
Flow Master Super 40

Fugly78

Post by Fugly78 »

I need to do something similar to not only my tailgate, but also my door window lifters as well. Do you have any pictures or diagrams of how you put it together from the end of the channel view? I am still trying to visualize how you took a piece of angle and a piece of flat stock to fit together and make a channel. I couldn't tell from the picture.

Thanks for your write-up and the pics you do have!
Josh Weathers
Gates, Oregon - Gateway to the Cascades

1978 Cherokee Chief (Widetrack) - Soon to have: 383w/TPI Intake/700R4/NP241C - Future Driver
1984 J10 - 360/TF727/NP208 - SOLD

whowey

Post by whowey »

I would be interested in more photos also... I need to do this.
90 GW CS-130 conversion

Topic author
DanHS

Post by DanHS »

I actually worked so fast I didn't get many pictures. I can try and snap a couple photos of the window at some point, draw something up and take a picture with the leftover metal showing how I made a channel from it. It was really pretty simple and just required some measuring and careful aligning to be sure it all fit right.

wewillsurvive

Post by wewillsurvive »

I left the firehouse this morning and while attempting to roll down the back glass this same thing happened. Seems I get to recreate your creation and soon. Will likely go buy the materials today.
1972 Dodge Demon with a 451" stroker Big Block
1986 Jeep Grand Wagoneer AMC 360" AKA Golddigger- SOLD
2003 Dodge Crewcab 2500 Cummins longbed 4x4
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee V-6 full time 4x4

Alternators, winches, 4x4, guns all have the same issue if you don't have any knowledge of them usually bad things will happen. Serehill

wewillsurvive

Post by wewillsurvive »

This is how I fasten the window in, a large washer and E-clip. The E-clips have stayed put for a few years so far.

Did you drill the holes in this pic? If not the only other way I see to get to these e clips is removing the whole track assembly, is that correct?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alternators, winches, 4x4, guns all have the same issue if you don't have any knowledge of them usually bad things will happen. Serehill

wewillsurvive

Post by wewillsurvive »

Can someone get me the thickness of the tailgate window?

bigwalton

Post by bigwalton »

I had less of the stock channel left than this, so I sucked it up and bought a new one from team grand wagoneer. I did not buy the rubber strip after hearing how hard it was to deal with getting the glass in and to my thinking that design let the rubber hold water against the channel and possibly accelerate the rust.

Also, given the weight of the glass and the fact that its never at an angle more than horizontal, gravity is in your favor all the time in keeping the glass in the channel.

So here's what I did this weekend in the attached pic. This is the glass sitting upside down on a sofa I just happened to have in the garage that made a perfect holder while I was working on it.

New channel that I hit inside with rustoleum just for some additional coverage.

I did four spots on the glass where I stacked four pieces of duct tape, that gave the channel something good to "bite" on once it was pushed on all the way. Once it was on there, I was able to lift the assembly upside down by gripping the channel only.

I can pop the inspection panel to check the tape condition and I figured that replacing the tape every so often would be a good excuse to get in to clean and relube the rear window mechanism anyway.

I debated drilling some small holes in the bottom of the channel to allow water to drain too, but decided that they'd likely get plugged anyway and could weaken the channel.

Put the glass in with new inner/outer wipes and it works great on about a dozen cycles so far. I also did the 7/16" e-clip swap, but I was able to get them started by hand and finish getting them in with a long pair of needle nose instead of drilling holes as in the pic above, but it would have been easier to do the holes for sure.

I'll see how it holds up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'77 Cherokee S - EFI 401
'84 Alaskan Postal Scrambler
'18 JKU Rubi Recon
'01 XJ - kid's DD
'01 XJ - winter beater
'18 Renegade