I have had 3 extra front fenders in the garage (two separate garages now) since the truck was first towed up from SETX to Dallas over a year ago and finally decided to start working on them. I saved the fenders from the donor trucks to eventually repair or replace the whiskey dented front fenders on the J20. In the final years that the J20 was being driven by it's previous owner it witnessed quite a few run in's with the side of the barn door leaving all 4 (only 2 original remaining) heavily dented. And with the spare fenders picked up along the way the J20 will soon only have half an original fender
. The green truck provided a solid drivers side front fender that will directly replace the original dented one, and the passenger side fender was banged up but the flare was in good shape. However the lower corner piece from both red and green trucks were caved in and unusable but fortunately, even with the crumpled front clip, the blue J10 had a salvageable lower corner piece. So now I am playing fender surgery and have begun busting apart the spare fenders to reassemble a passenger side fender for the J20.
I started with a spot cutter bit in a cordless drill but found that it left a small hole in the panel I was trying to salvage and if I wasn't careful I could drill a big hole through both panels. I wanted the flare to be as unmolested as possible for spot welding back on to the other fender so I switched to a dremel with a metal cut-off wheel. I made a long cut along the lip of the fender about 80% through the metal and ground the spot welds out, then took a pair of needle nose plyers and tore the lip away by rolling it onto the plyers. This left me with just a small amount of material left on the flare to clean up with a flap disk. There is only a small amount of rust on the bottom end of the flare to repair and the red J20 flare is rust free so if needed I can cut a patch piece from it.
After I repair the rust I will tackle removing the original red flare from the J20 and clean all three pieces up, hit the mating faces with some STEEL-IT to try and prevent rust in the seams, and attempt spot welding them together with a HF spot welder. I now have a welder too so if the spot welder fails I will just weld them up with the welder.