Tackled some small projects and started some bigger ones the last few weeks. Starting new projects is the opposite of what I need to be doing but I got it stuck in my head and had to do it.
I seem to never stop working on the wiring for this truck. The most recent project was adding a Deutsch firewall connector for the cruise control, throttle pedal, and gauge wiring. No more wires going through the firewall without a bulkhead connector now! If I could go back a year ago when I was working on the wiring harness on the kitchen table I would slap myself and tell me to do it all with Deutsch connectors. They are more expensive but far better in my opinion than weatherpack connectors. The pins are rated for higher amps, the seals are built into the connector rather than an individual seal per wire, and the connections are way better. I know I have said all this before but every time I work with these connectors I love them more! I still have some more work to do hiding the few loose wires left but this cleaned up the firewall alot!
The auxiliary fuel tank is plumbed in and operational sub a fuel gauge. I used a cheap amazon transfer tank filler tee that ties directly into the 2" fill line at the rear tank and a cheap frame mounted fuel pump to transfer the gas. From the first tests it looks like it will take 30 to 45 min to fill the rear tank via transfer pump.
Finally, the big project I decided to start on a whim, a camper top for the Jeep! Seeing as there's no room for luggage in the cab and wet clothes doesn't seem like a fun time, I figured I was going to need something to keep my stuff dry and safe when I actually drive this thing a decent distance. So I went on the hunt for a camper for my truck and of course it wasn't a simple task to find anything that would fit my truck. Thanks Jeep for making a truck bed narrower than full size trucks but longer than midsize trucks (for those of us with 8' beds). So I figured if I could find an aluminum camper that was the same length I could just cut it in half and stitch it back together to fit. So I did it! I picked up a cheap camper off an 03 superduty that measured 73" wide by 99" long (an inch longer than the Jeep but I can handle that without cutting). The Jeep bedrails measure 62.5 by 98 inches. I used some 2x4s and whole lotta ratchet straps to get it home. These things are super easy to dismantle, they're put together with self tapping screws. Once the ends and top were skinned I cut 10.5 inches from the middle and stitched it back together with 1/8th" aluminum flatbar and rivets. Once everything is stitched back together Ill weld it up with my dads mig spool gun to really hold it all together. For the windows I can either replace them with plexiglass or have the glass cut down. Here's pics