Dirty engine bay

Area for Offroad Modification Tech

Topic author
HandofGod

Dirty engine bay

Post by HandofGod »

Lame title, I know... just clean it right? Here’s the thing, it’s more than just that it’s dirty. I have a body lift on my Wagoneer, and I think the gap between the frame and the inner fender liners contributes to A LOT of dirty water getting into the engine bay. Like everywhere. The underside of the hood is soaked in muddy water and I am worried about the engine ingesting water. I am still running a closed type air cleaner that has a plenum, but even like that I find muddy water residue in the cleaner.
Have any of you guys done anything to deal the engine bay up a little more? I’ve seen aftermarket “gap guards”, but nothing for an FSJ, and I’ve seen suggestions like hurry rigging up rubber floor mats to fill the gap, but that seems chintzy as hell! What do you guys think?
White ‘91 GW with 350 swap. 700r4 transmission. NP 241c T-case. Rusty’s 3” body lift. Currently on 31x10.5x15 Milestar Patagonia M/T tires. Holley sniper EFI and complete Novak cooling system.

rocklaurence
Vendor

Re: Dirty engine bay

Post by rocklaurence »

I dont think that they gap is allowing all that water into the area/air filter. Most likely its from the fan blowing it through the bay. However, a nice set of gap covers can be made from rubber/plastic sheets that you can buy on ebay. Cut them to fit and then attach them with screws or tiewraps.

Topic author
HandofGod

Re: Dirty engine bay

Post by HandofGod »

Hmm that may be some of the problem. The fan was not shrouded. The new E-fan should help with that.
White ‘91 GW with 350 swap. 700r4 transmission. NP 241c T-case. Rusty’s 3” body lift. Currently on 31x10.5x15 Milestar Patagonia M/T tires. Holley sniper EFI and complete Novak cooling system.