Need AC help

Area for stock and aftermarket air conditioning.

Topic author
89greenwag

Need AC help

Post by 89greenwag »

Hi new here. I have an 1989 GW with what appears to be factory air inside. The fan works and everything is as should be inside. I'm missing everything under the hood. The compressor bracket is there but not sure for what compressor. I want to replace the hoses because I'm sure they will leak.

Trying to find a diagram of all parts needed including hoses, compressor, condenser etc. I would like to use this original system in the truck rather than just buy a new vintage air system.
Can anyone help?

Thanks
Rich

sirrus
Vendor

Re: Need AC help

Post by sirrus »

Welcome to the forum! Your GW would come with either York or Sanden compressor - probably Sanden, but I'm not sure where they made the switch. My 88 has York. I'd go with Sanden as it's better/newer design and more efficient than York.

Here is a picture from parts catalog showing both York and Sanden brackets, which one is looking like what you got?

I wouldn't bother with R-12 refrigerant and go straight to R134a. There are kits available that have everything required for conversion (in your case it's not really a conversion, since you don't have anything AC-related under the hood), here is a link for one on eBay that I was going to buy if I had to convert to R134a. Luckily my system only needed new resistor, blower motor and a bit of R-12, but I saved the link just in case :)

In general, for identifying parts and overall education about your rig I suggest getting factory TSM (service manual) and parts catalog. Don't bother with Chiltons or Haynes books, TSM is better. For your year both are available on oljeep.com site in PDF format - 1989 TSM (careful, it's 345 Mb) and parts catalog (35 Mb). You can also get paper version of TSM from BJ's Offroad
Sometimes we reinvent the wheel not to have more wheels but to have more inventors

1988 Grand Wagoneer - AMC 360 with ProFlo4 MPFI, TF727, NP229 FOR SALE
2021 JLU Willys EcoDiesel - new shiny toy

Topic author
89greenwag

Post by 89greenwag »

Thank you so much for this.......extremely helpful!

Rich

89_Wagon

Post by 89_Wagon »

My 89 has a Sanden. Everything but the fan/housing was replaced a few years ago by me. If you plan to diy it, it's definitely doable. There are some special tools involved but nothing out of reach. Overall, it's very satisfying to get your own AC up and running. It's one of those things that seems like voo doo to most so they won't touch it. But, it's surprisingly simple to setup. If you haven't already, I suggest reading up about AC systems and how they work in general.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk