So how 'bout I go to CO, and then don't come back up here?

For all discussions related to the annual FSJ invasion of Ouray

Moderators: shimniok, srobertsfsj

Topic author
REDONE

So how 'bout I go to CO, and then don't come back up here?

Post by REDONE »

Life has thrown me a screwball. Woman and I called it quits after my savings account aka "moving to Kentucky funds" magically disappeared last weekend with nothing to show for it. It's been four years since Busty Camera Cristy and I started that walk together, but over that time I've seen my role in the relationship morph from a partner into a surrogate for the father she wished she had growing up. Not blaming her for everything, I know I'm not perfect but for a relationship to work with me I need a partner instead of a dependent so we're just not compatible. It's time to move on, and not just from another relationship that didn't work out. It's time to go back home.

So, this summer when I head to Colorado for Ouray, I'll be staying there! :-bd My truck as well as myself are both native to Grand Junction, Colorado and I've spent many a family vacation in Ouray/Ridgeway/Telluride/Durango. I even remember driving my first car, an 82 Civic sedan with my then-best friend and our mountain bikes strapped to the trunk down to Ouray unsupervised when I was 16. I also remember my first unsupervised 4x4 trip in my 84 K5 Jimmy to Ouray when I was 17. Blew a radiator hose on the climb to Yankee Boy and patched it with the clear plastic picture holder from my wallet, some permatex and a roll of duct tape! As I sit here alone in this apartment packed with too much furniture and too much crap, looking out the window at a grey sky it's really easy to see I gotta get back to my roots and my family.

But there's a lot to figure out and get done before then! I had to kill seven people and hide the bodies to smuggle a 401 out of Colorado, do I drag it back or do I sell it?

I'm in the middle of converting my D44 rear to full float, but it's not too late to axe that project and go back to the way it was, I'm only about $130 into parts/machining but still need shafts at ~$500 to finish it. It's got a new grizzly locker and the original shafts, so I'm not too keen on loading everything I own on top of that axle and driving halfway across the continent. Do I finish the project or go back to stock?

There's also getting rid of stuff! Obviously I have a lot of tools, enough to fill the truck. I'm also National Guard so I have sacks and sacks of army crap. Then i got my dog and my cat. Trimming the load down to fit in a single truck bed is going to be a huge undertaking.

The most compounded challenge I'm facing is that my savings are gone and Money Badger needs some love. Rear axle aside, the trans and t-case both need a teardown and reseal with a few bearings at least, and I haven't tore into them to see if any hard parts need replaced. So I got a lot to buy and still need to save up quite a bit. I will be getting double paid for two weeks in June, so that's $1k to cover gas. Not paying rent the last month I'm here is another $1k for lodging emergency money. Also, I think my grocery expenses will be a lot less only feeding myself. I'm happy with Hamburger Helper and Ramen, know what I mean? I think it's doable, but I have to deal with this first week or two of ALL MY MONEY being gone, and rent is due on payday, so I should be fine.

There's a lot to do these next too months, but it feels good to know I'm going home.

79 J-10 (Honcho Mucho) KE0LSU
304/Performance Fuel Injection TBI/MTA1/SP2P/Magnum rockers
T18/D20/D44s&4.10s/33" Mud Claws
Grizzly Locker Rear
4" front spring drop, 5" rear shackle flip
Chevy style HEI (ECM controlled)
Dolphin "Shark" gauges in a fancy homemade oak bezel
3/4 resto, rotting faster than I've been fixing it.

Gumby

Re: So how 'bout I go to CO, and then don't come back up her

Post by Gumby »

:( Matt, what can I say. Well situation number 1 is all you. No idea what would change if I was gifted with the words capable of making things happen. As for the other(s), work like you have to and get your stuff in gear. You are a tough dude and spent many moons alone staring at the bulkhead. Enjoy the peace and quiet while you have it. Once you get back to CO things will be much better. I have a feeling that your circle is much tighter than you may thing. Get closer to your family bro. There is a much brighter light shining on you than you can see.
1984 GW 360/727/208.... 4"/ 31"
2004 CRD QC SRW 3500 4X4 (DD)
1983 "project Dubya" (long term)

Strode182

Post by Strode182 »

Wow, sorry to hear that, Matt. You'll land on your feet whatever comes your way.

Tin Medic

Post by Tin Medic »

Sorry to hear that. Come on home to CO, we'll leave the light on for you (and bring that 401 with you).
89 GW 360/727/208 (soon to be LQ9/727/208) MSD 8523 Pro Billet Distributor, MSD 8207 Blaster SS Coil, 30x9.5x15 Destination M/Ts, Warn Lock Out Hubs

"I don't always downshift, but when I do its next to a Prius so the driver can hear me hurt the environment."

Jeeps don't break down, they're just extremely demanding when they need parts replaced!

Jeep Owner

Topic author
REDONE

Post by REDONE »

Tin Medic wrote:Sorry to hear that. Come on home to CO, we'll leave the light on for you (and bring that 401 with you).
That's kinda what I'm thinkin. It'd have to be between my dog or the 401 for the 401 to go at this point, but I think I would let it go if it went to a member and kept another FSJ out of the scrapyard.

Thanks for the support from all you guys. I don't want to air dirty laundry, but I can tell this is right because all the challenges I face between now and July feel easier than the challenge of coming home after work did a week ago. ;)
Grizzly Locker Rear

Tin Medic

Post by Tin Medic »

Just toss everything in a uhaul and bring it with you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
89 GW 360/727/208 (soon to be LQ9/727/208) MSD 8523 Pro Billet Distributor, MSD 8207 Blaster SS Coil, 30x9.5x15 Destination M/Ts, Warn Lock Out Hubs

"I don't always downshift, but when I do its next to a Prius so the driver can hear me hurt the environment."

Jeeps don't break down, they're just extremely demanding when they need parts replaced!

Jeep Owner

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Sorry to here things didn't work out.

I guess the big question in my mind (maybe I missed it) is do you have work in CO?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Topic author
REDONE

Post by REDONE »

Stuka wrote:
I guess the big question in my mind (maybe I missed it) is do you have work in CO?
A fair question for sure. Unfortunately I don't have anything concrete. Compounded that much to my chagrin, I will be moving into my parents garage at the age of 34. Thus the necessity of leaving WA with at least a couple grand in my pocket, I don't want to "return to the nest" for any longer than absolutely necessary. I do have network in CO, and a lot of prospects too.

Up here in WA, when the economy tanked it hit fabricators hard. There used to be a LOT of small manufacturers out here for the marine industry and in support of Boeing. When Bayliner, Meridian, Tomco, Nordic Tugs, Wesmar, PacMar, and more small machine shops than I can list either went under or dramatically downsized it flooded the labor pool with fabricators/hand machinists. That's why I used to make nearly $40/hr but now work for $16 in an oven factory.

CO seems to have a different problem, everyone wants to work at a desk. While I won't know until I actually get there, talking with friends and family shows at least 3 solid walk ons between Coors, a billboard company and a county job. Two of these require getting certified in CFCs and the like but have to be done on site once I get there.

I'm glad you brought it up though because I don't want anyone thinking I'm just going to show up in Ouray and sit in a folding chair until the cops haul me off for tresspass, haha!
Grizzly Locker Rear

rstep

Post by rstep »

Sorry to hear Matt.
1977 Cherokee Sold
I Don't own One
Stuff I Make.
http://fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=5620

ProTouring442

Post by ProTouring442 »

Sorry to hear about all this... though a break up might be for the best, it is always sad to hear that a relationship has gone south. I spent 9 years in a relationship that should have lasted only 2 or 3, but I cannot regret a moment "wasted," for if I had not spent those 6 or 7 extra years, I most likely would not be married to the wonderful woman with whom I share my life, my most inner thoughts, and my bed. After what was probably the worst relationship in my life, I came into the best.

The good news is, there isn't anything you cannot live through! And don't sweat living in your parent's garage, it beats a cardboard box any day of the week, and twice on Sundays. Keep your chin up, and the dirty side down!

fulsizjeep

Post by fulsizjeep »

There will be ups and downs Matt, but you know that. You are a strong individual and will probably be OK, especially after you get to Ouray. :-bd I think I have another spindle, rotor and stub shaft here if you have the other side wear out on you. ;) Happy Planning & Safe Travels! :fsj:
Flint Boardman
88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s
https://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac

hutcho

Post by hutcho »

I'm sorry to hear about all this. As long as you are happy now though (or in ouray) is all that matters. Anyway I suck at giving advice on this stuff so back to jeeps. What tcase do you have? I got a dana 20 rebuild kit here at the house I will donate to the get redone to ouray fund.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 2

ColeTrickle

Post by ColeTrickle »

You know when I'm up there you can always catch a ride! :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'79 J10 Honcho
'75 J20
'74 J20
'66 J3000
'83 CJ7

fulsizjeep

Post by fulsizjeep »

YeeHaw Mr. Cole! :-bd
Flint Boardman
88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s
https://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac

Topic author
REDONE

Post by REDONE »

hutcho wrote:I'm sorry to hear about all this. As long as you are happy now though (or in ouray) is all that matters. Anyway I suck at giving advice on this stuff so back to jeeps. What tcase do you have? I got a dana 20 rebuild kit here at the house I will donate to the get redone to ouray fund.

I'll be in touch OilField', I won't take a hand out, but I'm not too proud to accept a favor from a friend. It is indeed a D20. :)

ColeTrickle wrote:You know when I'm up there you can always catch a ride! :D
That was the most fun I've ever had in a Jeep I wasn't driving! :-bd I know I've thanked you plenty but I'll thank you again now. My old Buick might have made it up the trails with some damage, but would have lacked the outstanding company. :P

These last few days have been what I think are going to be the roughest as I go through everything left in the apartment, hauling load after load to the dumpster and piling up all the crap that I think I can sell. I'm starting to get the slightly more fun part of replacing what's gone with spare Jeep stuff. :D

Also, I got what is the best independence present so far. From my mom and Dad (Toms78 around here):
Grizzly Locker Rear

hutcho

Post by hutcho »

REDONE wrote:
hutcho wrote:I'm sorry to hear about all this. As long as you are happy now though (or in ouray) is all that matters. Anyway I suck at giving advice on this stuff so back to jeeps. What tcase do you have? I got a dana 20 rebuild kit here at the house I will donate to the get redone to ouray fund.

I'll be in touch OilField', I won't take a hand out, but I'm not too proud to accept a favor from a friend. It is indeed a D20. :)

ColeTrickle wrote:You know when I'm up there you can always catch a ride! :D
That was the most fun I've ever had in a Jeep I wasn't driving! :-bd I know I've thanked you plenty but I'll thank you again now. My old Buick might have made it up the trails with some damage, but would have lacked the outstanding company. :P

These last few days have been what I think are going to be the roughest as I go through everything left in the apartment, hauling load after load to the dumpster and piling up all the crap that I think I can sell. I'm starting to get the slightly more fun part of replacing what's gone with spare Jeep stuff. :D

Also, I got what is the best independence present so far. From my mom and Dad (Toms78 around here):
Oilfield lol! Not a handout at all. I got it just cause it was a steal of a price. Could be several years before I work on mine again so would be good to see it put to use. Wish I could make to ouray again this year! Looks like its gonna be a great year! Oh and that shirt is AWESOME!

HOOT

Post by HOOT »

Sucks to hear Matt. Was looking forward to you being a Hillbilly.
1980 and 81 J20 melding into a 1980 Utility bed J20. Project cancelled and for sale, found a factory truck.
1980 J20 Utility truck. Replaced above project.
1977 Honcho getting turned into a 1977 J20 Gladoncho.
IFSJA Member #4662 Joined March 28, 2003

We're on a road to nowhere.....

budojeepr

Post by budojeepr »

I ain't sure about your route, but if you're dropping down I-5 through Redding give me a hoot and I'll put you up. Tools etc are available if you need repairs.

Good luck, and part of me is jealous over your new-found freedom.

Topic author
REDONE

Post by REDONE »

HOOT wrote:Sucks to hear Matt. Was looking forward to you being a Hillbilly.

Well, for what it's worth, I'll still be only half as far as I am now, so some of those fly-over states get togethers will be much closer on my radar!
budojeepr wrote:I ain't sure about your route, but if you're dropping down I-5 through Redding give me a hoot and I'll put you up. Tools etc are available if you need repairs.

Good luck, and part of me is jealous over your new-found freedom.
I was worried about being lonely at night when I go to sleep, but instead I find myself far more relaxed, since I'm not getting snapped out of that half-sleep state with "Do you know what so and so said/did at school/work today?", or some random bit of news from some crappy scripted reality show I don't care about. It sucks being broke though. I haven't been really "broke" in years but that's exactly how she left me. But it's cheaper than a divorce! :-bd
Grizzly Locker Rear

budojeepr

Post by budojeepr »

Kris Kristofferson said (rightly, in some contexts), "Freedom's just another word for 'nothing left to lose'."