83 Cherokee resto-mod

Area to show off your Custom Build threads.

refinemrh

Re: 83 Cherokee resto-mod

Post by refinemrh »

Matt,

Are you using the GM Transfer Case switch to switch from 2 to 4 wheel drive?

If so how did you get the wiring to work?

Thanks,

MIke

Topic author
Laredo Matt

Post by Laredo Matt »

Hi Mike,

Yes, I have the factory dash switch and it's all wired into the custom harness but there is a BUT ....

The tuner has a control module he developed that allows you to use the factory switch to select between 2WD and 4H and 4L. It doesn't support "auto" mode however. I think that requires all the body control modules, sensors, anti lock braking etc. etc. to calculate for auto mode. Auto mode isn't important to me so I don't care.

Now the BUT .... I bought a new L8T (new 6.6L gas replacement for the previous 6.0L that was in their heavy duty pickup line) with 6L90. For some reason, GM decided to build a new transfer case to go with the new engine. We thought everything would work fine but turns out the new t-case doesn't have a range sensor output so his existing control module that works with most t-cases won't work with mine...always something.

He's working to figure it out but no clue how long it will take. They must be doing something in the ECU but with the new ECUs all locked down and encrypted it isn't clear exactly what yet. He has another project using the same transfer case now so is motivated to get it figured out.

Happy to chat offline if you want.

Below is the factor switch i'll be mounting....at some point.

refinemrh wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 4:59 pm Matt,

Are you using the GM Transfer Case switch to switch from 2 to 4 wheel drive?

If so how did you get the wiring to work?

Thanks,

MIke
Matt
83 Cherokee Laredo WT
L8T 6.6L, 6L90
GEN III LS Swap (LM7 block)
4L60E

Txflyer16

Post by Txflyer16 »

Matt, great work. Can you share details on the fuel tank/system you are using please?
Thanks
'81 CJ-5
'93 XJ
New project '79 J-10
Looking for a Waggy

Topic author
Laredo Matt

Post by Laredo Matt »

Txflyer16 wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 10:46 am Matt, great work. Can you share details on the fuel tank/system you are using please?
Thanks
Tank is aluminum from BJs.

Haven't purchased fuel pump or controller yet. I'll likely go with a complete stand alone system including fuel control module. Have to do some research on it still. It will be a PWM system for sure and I plan to run flex lines, not hard.
Matt
83 Cherokee Laredo WT
L8T 6.6L, 6L90
4L60E

Yeller

Post by Yeller »

I always use flex lines for fuel, I keep contemplating using nylon but always seem to default to Teflon lined hydraulic hose. Virtually eliminates potential rub through failure.
The bus I ride is so short it is a yellow Smart Car full of squirrels, monkeys and clowns.

1970 J2500 Resto Mod
https://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewt ... 12&t=21395

1974 Bronco “Broncno”
https://classicbroncos.com/forums/threa ... st-3411909

Topic author
Laredo Matt

Post by Laredo Matt »

A few steps forward the last few weeks and a few back

reverse first

damaged the paint on passenger rear quarter :banghead: Took it back down to metal in two spots and had to build it back up. Got it primed and ready to paint but no rush, focus is getting ready for interior.

I know there were a lot of questions on dash angle etc. I thought I had it laid out well enough but when I got the seat, new steering column and dash in to test fit I wasn't happy. I knew it would be off center but the speed gauge is slightly obstructed by the steering wheel.

I decided to cut another 1.25" out of the dash. It was the max I could remove. Gauges will be closer to center but will see.

After chewing on it and looking at a few designs, I started thinking about it, and started looking for an alternative set of gauges. Found one from Dakota digital i like, will see if there are any available. Mocked that set up based on their specs and it's a little over an inch narrower and shorter. So, if I can get that, i can build back and use original dash pieces I had cut out. So starting to weld that back up just in case.

If I can't get the set I mocked up, may end up just buying a few gauges and building my own set similar to approach Wimsurf is taking on his build

Plus side of widening the by another 1.25" is i now have sufficient room on the door side of the dash to mount an additional air vent, or some controls. Will figure that out when I finally have gauges.

Progress

found a set of power seat bases from an 82 wagoneer online. They were dirty but work perfect. My seats mounted right up and no need to modify / create custom mounts if I'd purchased something out of a different vehicle. That'll free up some time I need for the unplanned work above.

fully cleaned, rust inhibitor applied, primed and painted. New built and wired switches will be here soon.

Decided I wanted a newer column and am going to a floor shift from column shift. I bought an ididit direct fit for a 77-86 CJ5/7. It's about 3/4" shorter than the Cherokee but otherwise mounting bracket locations etc. are all same. Gambled and went for it.

Plenty of room, nice alignment and used factory mounting brackets so happy about that.

went too easy so makes me worried something is wrong :)
Matt
83 Cherokee Laredo WT
L8T 6.6L, 6L90
4L60E

jpswapmohn

Post by jpswapmohn »

Matt,
Sorry to hear about the dash. I am sure you will find a solution that you are happy with. I look forward to seeing what you come up with. I do like the design of the one you had in there.

I used a XJ steering column on mine. They are all floor-shift, so other than dealing with the lock-up (brake and park to unlock the steering column), it went in with bracket swap. It is also a bit shorter, which I appreciated. Early 90’s version for automatic with tilt. I couldn’t find one from a manual.

Ididit makes good stuff, you will be happy with it. I was trying to work on the cheap.

Keep at it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
One day I will wake up and realize that my jeep is complete...one day, I just know it.
88Wag, LT1/4L60E/NP242, J20 axles, etc. http://imgbox.com/g/rNuIasKYrS
95YJ, STaK, D44's, SOA, ARB's, Bilstein 5150s, 35" KM2's
50 CJ3A
77 J-10 (sold)

Topic author
Laredo Matt

Post by Laredo Matt »

Dash update

I got the new dash done over Christmas break. I'm much happier with these new gauges and the final design.

I started out trying see if I could reuse the old dash parts I cut out to get it back to a more Jeep like look. Slapped together a rough mock up just to see.

Wasn't really excited but started to fabricate and weld some pieces in. Nope. Spent a few hours working on it and knew I wouldn't like it. Start again.

Went back to a design that looks more similar to the curved top I had with the last set of gauges.

- shifted everything about 2" right to get gauges better aligned of steering wheel
- Able to lower the top of the curve about 1" from previous design given the gauge layout. Looks much better to me even if similar
- Created a really nice mounting area on the left of the dash. That will likely be the new home of my t-case controller switch. Considering a few things to put there but that seems like the perfect spot.

I also started to think about switch layout. Sketched something out and decided most switches make more sense in the future console than dash. Going with that plan, so welded dash pad mounts and all but 3 switch holes up. Much cleaner and I think more usable. Still some body work to do and won't prime and paint until gauge and vent cut outs are done but close.

Welded things up, finished dash fab and rough bodywork before a test fit

I spent an hour or two at least marking the cut outs. might seem like a long time but did it 4-5 times at least looking at different options. Wanted to be certain it was just right before I would ever consider cutting.

Mocked it up using the 15" steering wheel in the Jeep when I bought it. I'm going with a 14" flat bottom for more room but holding off cutting out mounting holes for gauges until I get the new steering wheel in and test fit one last time...just to be sure. That may be a month or two, the wheel I'm getting is on back order and not supposed to ship until early March...ugggg.

I worked on quite a few other small things, painting bit parts, rebuilding vent windows etc. but feels like not much happened.

I started working on some wiring diagrams and then came across the company InfinityBox.

I love the direction and vision. It's basically an intelligent wiring system that has a Master controller module that manages remote power modules via a CAN bus wire. The remote power modules can be placed in front and back or anywhere needed eliminating long runs of wiring from front to back of the vehicle. No relays need. The master manages all of the relay functionality by fast switching mosfet circuits. Really cool stuff.

Anyone have any experience with their products. I stumbled on them looking for a good aftermarket PWM fuel pump controller so it was kind of accidental.
Matt
83 Cherokee Laredo WT
L8T 6.6L, 6L90
4L60E

wimsurf

Post by wimsurf »

Love your mock up, in the end still the best way to get a feel for the placement of it all.

I can relate to your comment of not feeling like progress being made with the small stuff. I rebuilt the front vent windows as well in the evening hours the recent weeks and it does not feel like accomplishment, maybe I should install them soon so it feels like progress again :)
1984 grand wagoneer
  • topaz gold | deep night blue,
  • AMC 360 v8 | 2019 5.7 hemi,
  • TF727 auto 3 speed | 8hp70 8 speed
  • nutmeg interior | sand or almond interior to be decided
it's a project now:
https://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewto ... 35#p197535

Topic author
Laredo Matt

Post by Laredo Matt »

Thanks.

Installing the vent window will definitely feel like more of an accomplishment than assembly!

I woke up this morning and decided I don't want to wait 2 months to get the new gunmetal steering wheel to do final mock up. That just delays a whole bunch of serial tasks; gauge cut outs and final mount, dash final bodywork and paint etc. I put in a new order this morning for the same steering wheel, adapter etc. but in black. I should have everything by end of next week if not sooner!

I decided down the road if I want to change steering wheel color to a gun metal, I'd also likely do the same for the column so would have to paint anyway and can do the wheel then. And it will be an exact match to the column so win-win.

Looking forward to getting some things done that actually feel like accomplishments :)

wimsurf wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:29 pm Love your mock up, in the end still the best way to get a feel for the placement of it all.

I can relate to your comment of not feeling like progress being made with the small stuff. I rebuilt the front vent windows as well in the evening hours the recent weeks and it does not feel like accomplishment, maybe I should install them soon so it feels like progress again :)
Matt
83 Cherokee Laredo WT
L8T 6.6L, 6L90
4L60E

Benjamin_R

Post by Benjamin_R »

I read through your whole thread and I must say I am in awe. I purchases an 83' Cherokee Laredo with the goal of turning it into an every day driver but am pretty intimidated by it all. Like you, I have zero experience in restoration. I am still in the process of how far I want to take the restoration but the work you are doing is phenomenal. If you don't mind me asking what is your monetary investment to this point?

Topic author
Laredo Matt

Post by Laredo Matt »

Thanks Benjamin.

The investment is definitely not small. It's not just money but time.

I have well over 1000 hours of my time into the build. I've saved myself some money on paying others but have also spent a lot more time on some things as I've I had to learn along the way.... so time is a big investment. I'll probably add at least a few hundred more hours before I'm done.

Dollars spent, also not small. There are big ticket items that set you back like full new drivetrain or interior if you go that route. You can chose to refurbish many parts and have just as nice or even better outcome than if you replace. Like most things, it is easy to talk yourself into spending a little more on this item and that item and not pay attention to how it all adds up. The cost of learning along the way is also real if you've never done it before. I've ruined materials and parts learning along the way and had to purchase a significant amount of new tools as I went. There have been countless runs for tools, part or supply along the way.

Excluding my time, when finished, It will be close to if I had bought a nice new rig but unique and I'll have the satisfaction of saying I did most of it myself. I've concluded I'm building a car I love and want to drive for the next 20 years. It will be brand new, I will never park next to one or pass one that is like it, It will be custom built exactly how I want it and I'll have the skills to repair things when they do happen.

I am a guy who likes spreadsheets so have tracked and categorized every purchase along the way; parts, consumables, paints and related items, tools (significant if you haven't done this before), services etc. It's scary when you look and see how much you've actually spent on sand paper, shop towels and nitrile gloves along the way. I prefer that to not knowing.

I'm confident you can build a very nice daily driver for much less or spend significantly more than I have depending on what you want.

This forum and group of folks are a great resource and willing to help whatever you decided. There are a lot of folks on here who are so much more talented and knowledgeable than I ever hope to be. Some of the rust/metal repair, or deep engine/trans tear downs and rebuilds are amazing to me. I was fortunate to have a very solid jeep to start with.

Benjamin_R wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 2:03 pm I read through your whole thread and I must say I am in awe. I purchases an 83' Cherokee Laredo with the goal of turning it into an every day driver but am pretty intimidated by it all. Like you, I have zero experience in restoration. I am still in the process of how far I want to take the restoration but the work you are doing is phenomenal. If you don't mind me asking what is your monetary investment to this point?
Matt
83 Cherokee Laredo WT
L8T 6.6L, 6L90
4L60E

wimsurf

Post by wimsurf »

Laredo Matt wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 4:22 pm ....

I am a guy who likes spreadsheets so have tracked and categorized every purchase along the way; parts, consumables, paints and related items, tools (significant if you haven't done this before), services etc. It's scary when you look and see how much you've actually spent on sand paper, shop towels and nitrile gloves along the way. I prefer that to not knowing.
I did exactly the same thing from start, better than fooling myself. In the end, it is going to be expensive, new engine means fabrication, new parts, new electronics, while you are doing it new interior pieces etc.

I mean, only all the dynamat sound and heat insulation alone was a fortune and for a lot of stuff I need to have it shipped and pay import duties, easily adding 20% on almost everything.

what it should all be about is if you are having fun doing it, and to actually finish it so you can drive around in a jeep that you know is truly yours.

@laredo Matt, how are you doing?
1984 grand wagoneer
  • topaz gold | deep night blue,
  • AMC 360 v8 | 2019 5.7 hemi,
  • TF727 auto 3 speed | 8hp70 8 speed
  • nutmeg interior | sand or almond interior to be decided
it's a project now:
https://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewto ... 35#p197535

Topic author
Laredo Matt

Post by Laredo Matt »

wimsurf wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 6:28 am
what it should all be about is if you are having fun doing it, and to actually finish it so you can drive around in a jeep that you know is truly yours.

@laredo Matt, how are you doing?
Agreed!

Took a week off to visit family for my moms 80th. They live in Texas so managed to stop by Summit Racing on my way back to the airport yesterday. impressive. First time there and would have stayed a lot longer if I had more time.

Still a lot of work left but keep chugging away and can see light at the end of the tunnel. hopefully will be driving it this summer.
Matt
83 Cherokee Laredo WT
L8T 6.6L, 6L90
4L60E

Topic author
Laredo Matt

Post by Laredo Matt »

Still chipping away. work on some of the little things continues....

cleaning threads so things go easy when I start final assembly
test mounting dash, pedals, switches, gauges, hood hinges hyrdroboost etc.
still making gaskets for anything that might rattle
new hinge pins and bushing for the door mounts
sanding, cleaning and painting all exterior plastic light housings to color match powder coat
Have two different wheels ordered to test fit and see which style i like. should be here any day I hope

biggest issue, still no transfer case. Whole goal was to go with an electronic dash mount and they've been having problems getting the brand new t-case design to work.

Dash, pedals, seats in for a test fit. Still need to fit shifter

gauges aren't 100% centered but very close. I got the 14" D shaped wheel I wanted. unless I have it tilted pretty aggressively it still blocks the view slightly.

15" wheel is perfect so I'll be sending the billet wheel back and am looking for a 15' replacement

Dynamat is mostly done but a lot of perp work to insure it sticks to the lizard skin; Vacuum, warm soapy scrub brush wash to get down in the texture of the lizard skin, Windex and scrub brush final clean before application.

trying to measure twice and cut everything and layout before application to minimize waste as much as possible. It's not inexpensive material but I think will be well worth it.

Old door bushings were worn and there was movement at the hinge. New pins and bushings are solid as a rock. Virtually no movement or sag at all when I reassembled and installed them so hoping alignment will be easier. Now that they're done, will get sand blasted and painted together with the dash and steering column.

Matt
83 Cherokee Laredo WT
L8T 6.6L, 6L90
4L60E

Longjohn61

Post by Longjohn61 »

What's with the extra hinge bolt in the middle?
My Cherokee
has only 4.

/Nisse
1980 Cherokee Chief 4.0L Fuel injected

Topic author
Laredo Matt

Post by Laredo Matt »

Longjohn61 wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 6:45 am
What's with the extra hinge bolt in the middle?
My Cherokee
has only 4.

/Nisse
Not sure. guessing it was a production design change from your model year? Hinges and mounts are designed for 5 bolts on mine.
Matt
83 Cherokee Laredo WT
L8T 6.6L, 6L90
4L60E

Longjohn61

Post by Longjohn61 »

I always thought there where only 3 bolts in the body. looked in my TSM but there is no good picture of that.
But do you have a picture of how the torsion rods are connected to the hinges?
I suppose that is also different then.
Very nice Cherokee by the way.
/Nils
1980 Cherokee Chief 4.0L Fuel injected

akguy09

Post by akguy09 »

I know that you haven't hung the front fenders yet, but have you located a source that makes the little rubber pieces that go into the inner fender gaps and those areas?
1979 Jeep J-10 304/T-18
2017 Jeep JK 2DR
2021 PowerWagon

Topic author
Laredo Matt

Post by Laredo Matt »

akguy09 wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 11:00 am I know that you haven't hung the front fenders yet, but have you located a source that makes the little rubber pieces that go into the inner fender gaps and those areas?
I think these are the parts you are referring to, correct?

There are two separate locations on the inner fenders and then on both outter sides of the core support.

I'm planning to just but a 1/4" strip of rubber and cut to fit. I kept the pieces I pulled off for templates and it measured 1/4" thick. I found a 1/4" x 2" x 10' role on Amazon to run along the radius of the inner fenders. Will buy a square piece of same for the core support.

cheers
Matt
83 Cherokee Laredo WT
L8T 6.6L, 6L90
4L60E