Old Howell EFI problems need help!

For everything related to using Fuel Injection in an FSJ.

Topic author
scramble96

Old Howell EFI problems need help!

Post by scramble96 »

So about a year ago I bought a 1987 Grand Wagoneer. In about 1999, a previous owner had put in a fresh 401 and a Howell efi system. It looks like it has a non stock distributor as well. I am now having problems with it. It starts hard. When it does start, it chugs and blows black smoke and does not want to move until it warms up, and I live in Arizona. It acts like an old carb with a stuck choke. Once warm, it seems to lack power and also surges at idle from 700 to 900 rpm. So far I have replaced the oxygen sensor and the IAC valve. Does anyone have any other ideas? Or should I ditch the howell and go to a different EFI system? Please help!!!

Sent from my SM-A515U using Tapatalk

1978 Cherokee S Widetrack,360, BDS 4 inch lift
1987 Grand Wagoneer, 401 Howell EFI, Edelbrock Intake
1989 Grand Wagoneer *for parts*

Locked and Loaded

Re: Old Howell EFI problems need help!

Post by Locked and Loaded »

Howell is a great proven system. Have you called Howell? They are very good at this. Timing has a lot to do with the way the system runs. I would mess with timing first. I'm here in Phoenix.
Drink more Water

Topic author
scramble96

Post by scramble96 »

Locked and Loaded wrote:Howell is a great proven system. Have you called Howell? They are very good at this. Timing has a lot to do with the way the system runs. I would mess with timing first. I'm here in Phoenix.
I sent them a message. Waiting for a reply.

1978 Cherokee S Widetrack,360, BDS 4 inch lift
1987 Grand Wagoneer, 401 Howell EFI, Edelbrock Intake
1989 Grand Wagoneer *for parts*

Locked and Loaded

Post by Locked and Loaded »

scramble96 wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:02 am
Locked and Loaded wrote:Howell is a great proven system. Have you called Howell? They are very good at this. Timing has a lot to do with the way the system runs. I would mess with timing first. I'm here in Phoenix.
I sent them a message. Waiting for a reply.

Call.
Drink more Water

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Yeah, I would call them.

Could be a lot of things causing it. A data log would go long way to finding out what. Could be as simple as a bad O2 sensor.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

The Howell stuff is all mostly-unmodified GM Rochester original equipment throttle body injection (TBI). They use all GM parts and program the computer with air-fuel tables to match your engine. Your local garage should be able to read the diagnostics just as if it were an '85 GM pickup. This is discussed in the Howell installation instructions on their site. Or look up how to diagnose one of the GM TBI vehicles, buy a scanner and read the codes.

Lots of info online about this - I looked for 2 minutes and found this - http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com/techinf ... ystems.pdf - plenty more info out there.

Re the distributor, the factory GM TBI has spark control, which uses a special distributor and connects to the EFI computer. Howell disables spark control, and the system they sell is basically an electronic carburetor. Aftermarket distributors are a popular upgrade (with debatable merit) for these engines. I would expect the distributor has nothing to do with the Howell fuel injection.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

babywag

Post by babywag »

sounds like typical failed coolant temp sensor
when they go bad engine thinks it's way cold and they're absolutely pig rich

easy to check with $10 usb cable and tunerpro software
-Tony