Scarletts Build

Area to show off your Custom Build threads.

Topic author
Shagoneer

Re: Scarletts Build

Post by Shagoneer »

Sadly Im going to have to put my jeep on the back burner for a small time, while I restore a 74 Blazer. I wish I didnt have to but fixing the blazer will pay bills while fixing the jeep eats money.
In the market for a new FSJ

Nutz-n-Bolts

Post by Nutz-n-Bolts »

Bummer! :( I was liking where you were going with that! Well, guess I'm subscribed now, so I'll see it when you get back on it.

I'm glad at least you have the option to make more money. Then you can spend it on your Jeep ! :P
Lover of all Old Iron

60-79 CJ5 The best parts from several years combined to make one tough ALL JEEP CJ
81 J10 Pickup My newest acquisition undergoing a complete restoration

Topic author
Shagoneer

Post by Shagoneer »

Today I was supposed to go work on the Blazer and try to get it to move far enough to get it on a trailer and bring it to my house.....but the girl who is paying me to do this had a bunch of stuff come up so instead I played on my jeep a little, before it has to start sharing a work space with a blazer.
Ive now been putting off finishing my suspension for awhile because, as I mentioned VERY early in the thread a bolt became stripped in the rear and I couldnt remove the old leaf spring. Well, today I had a novel idea: the old leaf was getting in my way of removing the bolt, which was getting in my way of removing the old leaf. So, why not cut off the old leaf....So I did. This is the result.

Which allows me to access the bolt much easier. While down there I also noticed that much of my exhaust is rusted out. Does anyone have a suggestion for a low cost muffler? I dont care about sounding super loud I just want inexpensive and not horrible. My plan is to cut the exhaust after the manifold, do a cat delete, throw in a cheap muffler, and call in a day.

Also I was lying on a towel because I live in new mexico where goat heads are everywhere, wrenching things before I got my idea. When I started cutting I forgot to move the towel, so it lit on fire, and I was wearing very torn up jeans, which then lit on fire, causing me to drop the cutting wheel, which somehow bounced and hit my thigh, and amazingly all I got was this small scratch, and no burns or major cuts

Topic author
Shagoneer

Post by Shagoneer »

Still havent been able to pick up the blazer so more jeep work
I started my rear spring install amd ran into yet another problem. Im not sure if my springs need to have weight on them or what but (to me) they dont appear to be long enough, so I cant get my shackles to bolt it. Has anyone had a similar problem or know a way to fix this

Nutz-n-Bolts

Post by Nutz-n-Bolts »

Looks like you've almost got it there. Once there is weight on the springs they will flatten/lengthen and things will look as they should. Just put a screwdriver thought the hole (since they are half lined up) and pry it in to position enough to get your bolt through. looks like you have enough room to get it lined up. Good Luck!
Lover of all Old Iron

60-79 CJ5 The best parts from several years combined to make one tough ALL JEEP CJ

jaber
Vendor

Post by jaber »

Try a C clamp to pull it down so you can stab the bolt when it lines up. :-bd
Jeff

'46 cj3a
'51 Willys p/u
'51 Willys Parkway Conversion
'74 CJ5
'75 J-20 Wrecker
'75 J-20 Cummins service truck
'77 J-10 p/u
'79 Cherokee
'88 Grand Wagoneer
http://s252.photobucket.com/albums/hh14/jeffaber/

Topic author
Shagoneer

Post by Shagoneer »

So today while talking to a friend I decided that I want to make new prerunner fenders using sheet metal and a welder and beer, and then make post for long travel suspension with coil overs. So, lots of welding and beer. My current suspension isn't even fully installed yet, and I'm already planning out my new suspension. I have a problem.

Topic author
Shagoneer

Post by Shagoneer »

After keeping tools and different fluids in the vehicle, the interior started to get pretty bad. So I decided to remove the rotting carpet, and interior panels, and replace them. I can deal with road noise, so Im just putting bed liner and paint on the floor. I also took a page from REDONEs book and made panels from masonite
Image You can kinda see the bed liner here since I ran out of paint.

Image Here is the new panel before I put it in.

Image And here is the new panel installed

Topic author
Shagoneer

Post by Shagoneer »

Questions for everyone. Is this the stock body mounts or is this a 1 inch body lift.Image

Also what is this line coming off of the axle. And where can I get a replacement Image

SJTD

Post by SJTD »

Looks stock to me.

The hose is the axle vent. Any hose that's good for oil will work. No vacuum or coolant hose.
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

jaber
Vendor

Post by jaber »

Body mounts look stock...

That is your axle vent tube. It keeps the axle from building pressure when warm. Any fuel hose should work, and make sure you keep the plastic plug in the upper end of it, it keeps debris out of the line. ;)
Jeff

'46 cj3a
'51 Willys p/u
'74 CJ5
'75 J-20 Wrecker
'77 J-10 p/u
'79 Cherokee
'88 Grand Wagoneer

Topic author
Shagoneer

Post by Shagoneer »

Thanks guys. next question. and suggestions for removing brake line where the nut is completely stripped.

jaber
Vendor

Post by jaber »

Depending on the shape of the tube, you can cut the end off as close to the fitting as you can, use vise grips to remove the piece, and then get a new fitting and rent a double flair tool. If the tube looks iffy, I'd replace it all together. ;)
Jeff

'46 cj3a
'51 Willys p/u
'74 CJ5
'75 J-20 Wrecker
'77 J-10 p/u
'79 Cherokee
'88 Grand Wagoneer

Topic author
Shagoneer

Post by Shagoneer »

Im probably gonna have to replace it all together which sucks because the kit BJs sells doesn't include the lines for the rear axle, meaning id have to buy generic lines bend it all myself.

Topic author
Shagoneer

Post by Shagoneer »

I pulled out the interior the other day and found something that makes me unsure of how sane the DSPO was. While taking out the drivers seat I found a small spacer block in the rear right corner. So far sounds normal. Now let me get to the scsry part. The spacer was a piece of brown wooden interior molding that he had wedged between the floor and the seat. I have lost faith in humanity.

Nutz-n-Bolts

Post by Nutz-n-Bolts »

Don't worry this is how it's supposed to be. This way you know you can do better than what was previously there. Often it's the closest thing that will "do" the job, not the correct thing to do it. Did you get you brakes squared away? I'm guessing you nee a new length of line and a new wheel cylinder. Always best to get rid of questionable items when working on brakes.
Lover of all Old Iron

Topic author
Shagoneer

Post by Shagoneer »

Habent had a chance to play with the brake lines. Theres a few other things that I need to get done first.....like finishing the lift I startes more than a yeaf ago, but there up next once ny axle is actually in place.

Topic author
Shagoneer

Post by Shagoneer »

New problem. The fuel tank I'm using has 1.5 inch fuel and vent inlets, and the hoses coming off the fuel filler are obviously not this size. Should I try to find some kind of step up adapter, find new fuel filler neck, blow the whole thing up, try black troll magic, etc. any suggestions?

ProTouring442

Post by ProTouring442 »

Shagoneer wrote:New problem. The fuel tank I'm using has 1.5 inch fuel and vent inlets, and the hoses coming off the fuel filler are obviously not this size. Should I try to find some kind of step up adapter, find new fuel filler neck, blow the whole thing up, try black troll magic, etc. any suggestions?
You can get or make an adapter. Jags that run makes all sorts of adapters, so you might want to have a look there.

The other choice, and the one I plan on utilizing, is to install the fuel filler from a later GM truck.

Topic author
Shagoneer

Post by Shagoneer »

What size filler neck do the GMs have.