76 Chief - Update...Rear Mount Tank

Area to show off your Custom Build threads.

Topic author
CBJoe

Re: 76 Chief - Reviving for Daily

Post by CBJoe »

I know this has been discussed to death....but I just feel the need to say....

Damn but didn't jeep just have the dumbest gas tank and fill tube/vent design. I'm really learning that it is impossible to fill this tank all the way without it puking back out the vented cap.

The whole design is just doomed to never work well.

My jeep is the earlier design with no charcoal canister and no EVAP system and a full vented gas cap.

Gonna have to retrofit a fix at some point.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

1976 Cherokee Chief / Stock Q-Trac, Stock 360

Topic author
CBJoe

Post by CBJoe »

Took the time Monday to replace the rest of the valve springs and seals. All went well....old springs were quite a bit collapsed. Pretty much the same as cylinder 3 that I replaced a few weeks ago.

Ordered another fuel pump ...this Delphi one is working but after a long drive it's noisy as hell....kind of sounds like an old hand pump operating at high speed.

ImageImageImageImageImage

Topic author
CBJoe

Post by CBJoe »

Also ...I keep forgetting to ask. Whats up with the shock mounts on my leaf spring plates? Are these remnants of an old setup on this jeep?

I'm getting ready to replace all the suspension, so figured I should ask Image pretty sure the stock setup is where they are mounted currently.

I'm also trying to decide if adding sway bars is with it. My jeep has no front or rear sway bar.

EDIT: Now I'm thinking thats not a shock mount, but the end-link mount for sway bar. Can someone confirm?

JoeImage

akguy09

Post by akguy09 »

It is the mount for a sway bar
1979 Jeep J-10 304/T-18
2017 Jeep JK 2DR
2021 PowerWagon

Topic author
CBJoe

Post by CBJoe »

Lots of stuff happening on the neverending maintenance and improvement.

The original Motorcraft alternator went out on me. Luckily I had a cs144 waiting in the wings. Install was pretty easy....already did the ammeter bypass a bit ago.

Install was pretty easy....enlarged the slot for the lower adjustment bracket to fit the 10mm bolt. Had to play around a bit finding a belt size that worked. Wiring went fine and I removed the external voltage regulator.

At the same time I replaced the harmonic balancer along with most of the pulleys. Got a billet set from BJs. My old crank pulley had a wobble in it that caused belt flop...which I thought was kind of weird. But it's fixed now.

I installed a 150a fuse holder with a digital voltmeter readout which I thought was pretty cool. I put a toggle switch so I can turn it on and off. Will be great to quickly check voltage at will.

It charges at idle between 13.8 and 14.5 volts. And holds 14.5 through RPM range. I verified the voltage reading with my nicer fluke...was spot on.

Engine bay is cleaning up nicely Image I may have to get some nicer valve covers. I have a new air cleaner and all the suspension bits on the way to hopefully finish all the work. Been daily driving for a few weeks now and I love it.

Cheers, Joe

ImageImageImage

devildog80

Post by devildog80 »

Really should have an air filter and assembly on top of that carb :)
'81 CJ5 Base, 258 I6, MC2100, T176 4 spd, 300 TC, D30 Front NT, 3.31, 2-Piece AMC 20 rear NT, 3.31, 4" high arc spring lift
'84 Grand Wagoneer, 401 V8 (.030 over), MC2150 HA Comp, 727 auto, Selec-trac NP229, AMC 20 REAR - D44 FRONT - WT 3.31, 4" high arc spring lift
Rather be driving, than waiting to be modified

Topic author
CBJoe

Post by CBJoe »

devildog80 wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 12:41 pm Really should have an air filter and assembly on top of that carb :)
Huh? I thought that may give me 50 extra horsepower :D

Around here, I'll find a chipmunk nesting in there if left uncovered. Air filter is just sitting to the side while working

devildog80

Post by devildog80 »

I'm sure it is....just a little humor :)

And probably not wrong on the 50hp....and nice work
'81 CJ5 Base, 258 I6, MC2100, T176 4 spd, 300 TC, D30 Front NT, 3.31, 2-Piece AMC 20 rear NT, 3.31, 4" high arc spring lift
'84 Grand Wagoneer, 401 V8 (.030 over), MC2150 HA Comp, 727 auto, Selec-trac NP229, AMC 20 REAR - D44 FRONT - WT 3.31, 4" high arc spring lift

Yeller

Post by Yeller »

I always keep a rag over any open intake. Have had bad luck with stuff getting in there, nuts, small pieces of metal cut off 20’ away, it’s truly been remarkable and expensive lol
The bus I ride is so short it is a yellow Smart Car full of squirrels, monkeys and clowns.

1970 J2500 Resto Mod
https://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewt ... 12&t=21395

1974 Bronco “Broncno”
https://classicbroncos.com/forums/threa ... st-3411909

Topic author
CBJoe

Post by CBJoe »

Another big job checked off the list today.

Replaced all the body bushings with a poly set from BJs. Was a bear of a job in it's entirety. Only had one captive nut fail.

My solution was to cut a 2" hole above it and also cut the captive housing off. Cut off bolt head and removed from the top. I'll get a 2" body plug to seal it up. Makes easier removal In future.

Found one bushing bolt completely missing Image

Ride is markedly improved. New springs and shocks coming later this week. After that fingers crossed all the mechanicals are done. Engine is running great. Every small improvement makes me love this jeep more.

Joe

ImageImage

Topic author
CBJoe

Post by CBJoe »

I'm afraid to say it out loud, but I think I'm mostly done.

Suspension totally replaced with Bilstein 5125s, BJs stock leaf springs. Engine is running smooth as can be.

Gonna drive the hell out of it and see how it goes Image. Did a nice country drive this afternoon. The ride is much improved.

Will work to finish out the interior panels over the next couple months.

Joe

devildog80

Post by devildog80 »

Not sure if the back drop was your country drive destination but.......do not want it to be telling of just getting the Chief on the road again :/

Hoping for many many years of seeing vids & pics of your adventures :)

Topic author
CBJoe

Post by CBJoe »

Haha! Just a random old family cemetery plot in the country we came upon

We love to just drive around our country roads. We sometimes stop and take a look at the old graveyards, memorials and other random stuff.

More pics to come promise they won't be all graveyards

devildog80

Post by devildog80 »

That sounds encouraging.

Looking forward to see some of your adventures :)

Topic author
CBJoe

Post by CBJoe »

Roadtrip down without any big issues :) the chief ran beautifully with no issues. did 65mph most of the way with no problems. Zero oil consumptions and appears to be getting around 14-15mpg on the 2bbl. Have to leave town for week, but when i'm back i'll pull the plugs to see how they are looking.

To Do List:
- Windshield gasket...first time in significant rain...leaks in a few places and can tell its original.
- Install Dual Alternator belt pulley.....CS144 just cant cut it on a single belt

Otherwise it was a very successful trip.

Chubbinius

Post by Chubbinius »

Looks great and so nice to hear it's running so well and getting nice mileage!
1970 1414X Wagoneer "The Pig"
-Custom Special
-Dauntless 350 V8
-D27 front/D44 rear
2006 XK (65th Ann Edition)-DD

Topic author
CBJoe

Post by CBJoe »

Haven't pulled the plugs yet, but good thing is after all the driving the last few weeks (probably 600miles or so) there has been zero oil consumption. I also posted elsewhere, but I took care of my belt squeal issue with the CS144 by going back to a dual belt pulley on alternator and single belt on PS Pump. For my own notes here are the belts I used....

Alternator Belts are Gates 7417
PS Belt is a Dayco Top-Cog 15530

At this point Almost all the drivetrain and mechanicals are done (hope I didn't just jinx myself) I've got almost nothing left on my list.

My Windshield gasket is leaking like a sieve...I have a new gasket from BJs...but I'm not sure I want to tackle that myself. Gonna call a couple folks this week to see how much for someone with better mojo to do it.

Joe

Topic author
CBJoe

Re: 76 Chief - Update...Rear Mount Tank

Post by CBJoe »

Wow...it's been a LONG time since I made a post here. I guess its a testament to not having had too many issues :) I've actually logged about 10K Miles since I picked up the jeep last spring :shock:

Since I last posted I've done the following:

- Replaced old steel wheels with some American Racing Baja Rims....same tire size.
- Fixed some alternator wiring I did incorrect when I upgraded to the CS144
- Did an edelbrock performer intake and using adapter put the older take off QuadraJet from our Pontiac Firebird 400 engine.

Current QJet is not tuned right but has run good enough for now. I have an order into SMI Carburetors for a fully treated and reconditioned 750cfm QJet which will be tuned for my stock engine specs. good 4 months wait time

As soon as our 73 firebird is back on road shortly i've got a whole list of things I need to do like replace Gas Tank with a S10 rear tank....Install a relay center and clean up some wiring, and finally finish the interior.

But all in all its my daily and its been running like a champ.

Cheers, Joe
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.