76 Chief - Update...Rear Mount Tank

Area to show off your Custom Build threads.

Topic author
CBJoe

76 Chief - Update...Rear Mount Tank

Post by CBJoe »

I've been posting tech questions here and there, but at this point I figured I should probably do a thread to document the work.

I've got almost no history on this Jeep other than it being originally from Idaho...made its way to Ohio and then was sold as a lot to a dealer which is where I acquired it.

Its a Z Code Chief, but unfortunately the 401 was replaced at some point with a 360 2-bbl. Still has the original Q-Trac. Odo has around 12K miles on it....but I'm pretty sure thats actual 120k miles. The Exterior body is in pretty dang good condition. I cant find any evidence of bondo anywhere. As you'll see in the following posts, the worst rust is on the underside of the roof where its obviously leaked for a LONG Time. Luckily no pinholes.

Cheers, JoeImage
Last edited by CBJoe on Sat Oct 29, 2022 11:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
1976 Cherokee Chief / Stock Q-Trac, Stock 360

Topic author
CBJoe

Re: 76 Chief - Reviving for Daily

Post by CBJoe »

Since I got it I've done a host of things....

- Full Fluid Replacements (minus Trans Fluid/Filter...thats soon)
- Checked Q-Track Chain Slack....checked good
- DUI HEI Distributor w/ added relay for power
- Reman Motorcraft 2100 Carb and mounting hardware/gasket/insulator plate, Fuel Filter, etc...
- Replaced all Vacuum Hoses
- RedHead Steering box and PSC HiPo Pump
- Have a full weather strip kit...slowly replacing

Before I stripped down interior I got the engine running pretty smooth....I may still need to do some tuning as it seemed to still be running rich at cruise. I installed a New EGR Valve...but it isn't hooked up. I think I may go ahead and reconnect and see how it runs.

https://youtu.be/q3zmgvJBGno
Last edited by CBJoe on Tue Apr 05, 2022 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
CBJoe

76 Chief - Reviving for Daily

Post by CBJoe »

Current Status is a fully stripped interior to clean/treat/seal the rust. Heres a quick video of a walkaround on the interior findings. I'm in the process of cleaning and prep'ing the floors and ceiling for treatment and eastwoods rust encapsulator. Plan is to patch the inner wheelhouse areas, redo all the seamseal I can get to and get everything coated.

https://youtu.be/z60Tf3bMv-I

The damaged inner wheelhouse is funky to me....it doesn't actually look like they rotted through. Its more like the metal cracked and fractured. Since it isn't a cosmetic thing. I'm very much considering fabricating some patch panels and using 3m panel bond to get them covered and sealed up.

Joe

Last edited by CBJoe on Tue Apr 05, 2022 2:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Topic author
CBJoe

Post by CBJoe »

The few times I drove it around post steering replacement it was a lot of fun. I haven't really tested the Q-Trac out at all (e-drive or low range). I've greased all the points that I can find...brakes feel good.

Currently the only thing I really need to look at is after driving around for 10 or 15 mins (or longer), I get a rear end rub/rub/rub noise when turning. It does not do it when I first start driving. Its only in the rear end and doesn't matter if its turning right or left...most noticeable at low speed sharper turns. So I'll need to check it out....someone recommended I check the axle bearings since it happens after its got some heat in it.

Joe

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Pretty good looking Cherokee!

Those cracks are pretty strange. The only time I have seen similar damage is when really loose tie chains where used and the chains grabbed the lip and separated the wheel well.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Topic author
CBJoe

Post by CBJoe »

Stuka wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 3:20 pm Pretty good looking Cherokee!

Those cracks are pretty strange. The only time I have seen similar damage is when really loose tie chains where used and the chains grabbed the lip and separated the wheel well.
Interesting...that may be a good theory. I'll have to take a look again, but it does seem odd that there isn't more rust around the edges of the cracking. I would guess that if that had been there a while there would be more corrosion at the cracks themselves. Maybe it happened during transport somewhere between Idaho/Ohio/St Louis before I got it.

Joe

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

Didn't we have another post on here with similar cracking? It was suggested the cracking results from frame flex tearing the body over time. Would result from much trail use where the frame is twisted up with one wheel stuffed and the other hanging.

You could experiment - ramp the Jeep and look at how the crack margins move.

You have wonderful paint for a '76. Silver is a notoriously fragile color, with peeling clear coat common. I expect in '76 it was single-stage acrylic enamel paint, so a clear-coat finish should be a respray. Sand on a hidden spot to test - clear coat makes white dust, single stage dust will be the came color as the paint.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

Topic author
CBJoe

Post by CBJoe »

@tgreese...I'll try that. I may just one by one jack up each corner of the jeep to see if any flex occurs. The frame is in such good condition I have a hard time believing it. but better to check.

I'm going to stop by a local body shop today and show them some pictures to get a quote on repair. If its reasonable I'd rather have them do it than me cutting and fitting pieces to bond there. Doesn't have to look pretty, but I'm sure they'll do a better job.

On the paint...for sure not original. Someone seemed to match the color pretty well, but did a matte finish. I've thought about having it clear coated or resprayed at some point. But thats much further down the line.

Joe

Topic author
CBJoe

Post by CBJoe »

Almost done cleaning up the front part of the Chief in prep for sealing. Talked to a shop today about welding in patches for the cracked wheelhouse areas. Also looks like there is some rot where it meets the floor. I’ll get that fixed at same time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author
CBJoe

Post by CBJoe »

Sanded entire ceiling today....its ready for final wipe down with prep-all and then painting on Eastwoods Rust Encapsulator. Floor is 90% done....need to remove old adhesive from wheelhouse and a few other areas then I'll clean and paint it as well.

I ebay snagged replacement non-rusted roof supports. They fit great. I feel like the roof over the driver and passenger is still pretty flimsy so i'm thinking of using one of my old supports to add a bit more structure. I clamped it in for a test. would be easy to drill and install some rivet nuts to mount it.

Got cold...so painting on sunday hopefully when weather warms up.

Pair O J10

Post by Pair O J10 »

I've seen several FSJ with cracks in those areas. The fitment of the wheel well to the floor structure is marginal at best, the factory used copious amounts of sealant to close the gaps. The metal in that are is under stress since it fits together so poorly, I have always thought that was the cause of the cracking. These bodies were basically hand assembled, if it didn't fit due to stack up of panels being miss aligned, the factory workers made them fit and filled the gaps with sealant. A good representation of "make it fit" is the weld flange at the sides of the firewall where clearance for the front fenders is attained through whack a mole technology...They definitely aren't works of art...

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

A comment about the "Rust Encapsulator." It used to come in both boxcar red and black, and I've tried both. It's ok, but I like Aluthane vastly better. The black RE does not hold up to the weather very well, getting chalky and rusting through in a few years. Aluthane makes a really hard finish, and has lots of solvents so it flows into cracks and voids very well. Easier to apply than either RE or the POR finishes. https://paints-coatings-epoxies.com/a_a ... paint.html - suggest you follow the links if you want to learn more.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

Topic author
CBJoe

Post by CBJoe »

Thanks tgreese....I bookmarked it for further reading. I have not seen the Aluthane before.

I've also not ever used the original RE (Black/Red)....what I have is the Platinum stuff which is also a Moisture Cured aluminum infused stuff. From what I understand its different than the original matte black RE/RE Plus. Had pretty good luck with the platinum it in the recent past and had a pretty hard finish. We'll see how it works out on this larger area.

Joe

2nd Day

Post by 2nd Day »

I've got a worse interior and am in much the same boat on the inside on my GW.

How did your seatbelt bolts do coming out?

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

Currently Jeepless (Previously 78 Cherokee WT-2 each, and 79 Waggy, 94 XJ)
Co-Founder of the East Coast Invasion
I live In Virginia :roll:

Topic author
CBJoe

Post by CBJoe »

2nd Day wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 11:58 am I've got a worse interior and am in much the same boat on the inside on my GW.

How did your seatbelt bolts do coming out?

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk
Had no issues getting them out...impact gun made quick work. I only had one issue and that was with one of the passenger seat mounting studs. It was absolutely frozen in place. The mounting nut on frame broke off. I'm planning on having a new threaded nut/plate welded to frame when I have the fenders fixed.

Topic author
CBJoe

Post by CBJoe »

No painting yet…but got more prep ready. Got all the dang old adhesive striped from wheelhouses and the floor cleaned. Everything will get one more wipe down before painting.

Also pulled the rear axles and inspected/greased wheel bearings. All good there. New drums, pads, wheel cylinders on order.

Topic author
CBJoe

Post by CBJoe »

Rear brakes rebuilt….one shoe was cracked and one wheel cylinder leaking bad. So glad I did it. Pulled out the handy brake bleeder and did a full fluid flush all around while I was at it. I’ll never go back to the 2 person brake bleed again since I bout this thing a few years ago.

Topic author
CBJoe

Post by CBJoe »

Slow going as springs busy with other outdoor projects. Hoping to get moving a bit quicker. Got the Under Roof all cleaned, prepped, and painted with the Rust Encapsulator Platinum. Application was super easy.

For the floors I treated all the heavier rust with converter after scrubbing and cleaning any heavy stuff. I went ahead and painted the Encapsulator on all the areas where I'm going to re-apply seam sealer. Figured better to paint it and then apply the sealer before final coat. Hopefully more steady progress soon....really itching to start driving and shaking out any bugs.

Topic author
CBJoe

Post by CBJoe »

Bunch of progress

-Cleaned/patched/treated and painted the floors
-dynamat installed on roof and almost done with floors
- front carpet and Seats installed
- upgraded speakers and installed amp
-ammeter bypass completed
-comvertrd from flex fan to clutch
- replaced broken valve spring and seals on cylinder 3
- all vacuum lines replaced
-Currently driveshafts are being rebuilt and balanced

Lots of other little things. Engine running much smoother after spring replacement

https://youtu.be/T2ET15nCsII

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Coming along pretty nicely!
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ