Armrest - Aftermarket Options or Rescue

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
kjandb

Armrest - Aftermarket Options or Rescue

Post by kjandb »

I was about to paint my armrests but thought I'd check to see if anyone has found a decent aftermarket option that fits a '71?

The mounting hardware is getting pretty loose and I don't think there's much more life left in them. Or is there any way to repair them?

Any feedback on SEM or the process of painting vinyl? Never done it.

ImageImage

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

'71 Wagoneer - 4" BJ's Leaf Lift - early 360 - Avocado Mist ???
S Idaho

Yeller

Re: Armrest - Aftermarket Options or Rescue

Post by Yeller »

I adaptered 68-72 Chevy c10 arm rests in mine. I did have to make an adapter plate that bolts to the door to attach them. They look good and work well.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The bus I ride is so short it is a yellow Smart Car full of squirrels, monkeys and clowns.

1970 J2500 Resto Mod
https://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewt ... 12&t=21395

1974 Bronco “Broncno”
https://classicbroncos.com/forums/threa ... st-3411909

thej10guy

Post by thej10guy »

Amc eagle armrests bolt in. I assume they are about as hard to find as j10 ones but I had them readily accessible because my brother has an eagle wagon. If you have any available you can use them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1983 Jeep J10 Honcho SWB 5.3 4l60E NP241C viewtopic.php?f=12&t=22361
1979 Jeep J10 LWB (project/parts truck)
1989 GMC Jimmy (project)
Jeep Lover for life :fsj:

Topic author
kjandb

Post by kjandb »

Thanks for the suggestions! Great to see another Avocado Mist @Yeller!
S Idaho

deckside

Post by deckside »

What did you end up doing? Im looking at these ones that are listed for Commandos but I cant see Kaiser haveing multiple sizes of the same style armrest. Ive reached out for specs to confirm..

https://www.ebay.com/itm/325468077674?_ ... 1506.m1851

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

These reproduction armrests are for the Jeepster Commando. The part number given does not match any Wagoneer or J-truck from that era. I presume it's a part specific to the Jeepster. Wagoneers used related parts (similar part numbers) but not that part number.

Asking $165 each is 5 or 6 times the cost of similar armrests for contemporary light trucks. A Chevy part is shown above - there are similar parts for Ford or Dodge that might suit as well or better. You might search for repop armrests for Ford F100s or Dodge A100s or other models from the same era.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

Topic author
kjandb

Post by kjandb »

I ended up painting them and I think they turned out great. Seems like I somehow ended up with one or two extra. Let me know if interested and I can dig them out. Image

Sent from my Pixel 8 using Tapatalk

S Idaho

deckside

Post by deckside »

If you got some extra that would be awesome! Trying to fiugre out how to get the curves out of the ones I have :lol:

iharding

Post by iharding »

tgreese wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 6:24 pm These reproduction armrests are for the Jeepster Commando. The part number given does not match any Wagoneer or J-truck from that era. I presume it's a part specific to the Jeepster. Wagoneers used related parts (similar part numbers) but not that part number.

Asking $165 each is 5 or 6 times the cost of similar armrests for contemporary light trucks. A Chevy part is shown above - there are similar parts for Ford or Dodge that might suit as well or better. You might search for repop armrests for Ford F100s or Dodge A100s or other models from the same era.
You have early doors and those arm rests are like lips on chickens.

I am one of the idiots who paid $160 for the jeepster reproductions. They are beautiful and fit perfectly.

Anyone with the newer doors needing arm rests contact me. I have a stock black set and a set of like new Scout arm rests that look way better and have the same attaching bolt pattern.

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

iharding wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 7:42 am ... I am one of the idiots who paid $160 for the jeepster reproductions. ...
Curious - for a Jeepster or a Wagoneer?

PartsDude https://stores.partsdude4x4.net/1963-91 ... erokee-sj/ makes a few select parts for Jeeps - not just Jeepsters - that are in demand, not available otherwise, and can justify a high price. I suspect the prices are ok considering the low sales volume expected and the investment needed to make/stock them. Other retailers could do similar if they were willing to do the research, invest the capital and take the risk.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Blockchain the vote.

letank

Post by letank »

if $$ is a concern, try lmctruck.com for the chevy crowd, they have armrest, slightly different but at a starting price of $20ish for a pair, it could be fitted with minor surgery.
Otherwise a trip to the yards with a pattern of the mounting space is worth a scavenging hunt.
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

deckside

Post by deckside »

My originals also had hard plastic caps each side with chrome paint. Thinking about doing a mold and trying to cast them.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

letank

Post by letank »

deckside wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 9:36 am My originals also had hard plastic caps each side with chrome paint. Thinking about doing a mold and trying to cast them.
Interesting option.

I have a few of the later years, post 80's in various stage of structural failure and weather bleached, I suspect that they can be fitted as the doors have the same punch out holes for the retainers clips.
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

iharding

Post by iharding »

tgreese wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 8:29 am
iharding wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 7:42 am ... I am one of the idiots who paid $160 for the jeepster reproductions. ...
Curious - for a Jeepster or a Wagoneer?

PartsDude https://stores.partsdude4x4.net/1963-91 ... erokee-sj/ makes a few select parts for Jeeps - not just Jeepsters - that are in demand, not available otherwise, and can justify a high price. I suspect the prices are ok considering the low sales volume expected and the investment needed to make/stock them. Other retailers could do similar if they were willing to do the research, invest the capital and take the risk.
I bought the Jeepster ones, for my J-2000. It seems to be lost knowledge that the early J trucks had a different bolt spacing.

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

Which is the same as the Jeepster spacing? Jeep recycled a lot of part designs to make their new models.

The easiest example to me - the '72 CJ-5 and CJ-6 were a new model, and they needed heater controls. They used controls taken from the Utility Wagon. After another year of lead time, the '73 models got bespoke and more modern controls.

Seems like Kaiser spent as little development money on these Jeeps as possible. Possible the armrest was borrowed for the J-trucks, then borrowed again for the Jeepster.
Tim Reese
Blockchain the vote.

sierrablue

Post by sierrablue »

Not cheap, but brand new one:

https://thejeepsterman.com/products/arm ... s=e&_v=1.0

The higher end ones did have the silver end caps, was part of the Custom trim over the base trim. They don't make those unfortunately, since the Jeepsters didn't get them. This is identical to the 3 black ones J have, been debating getting one more,
'71 Wagoneer (DD)
-B350 (HEI, iron 4-barrel, Edelbrock 1406), TH400, D20
-'74 D44 front (nonpower discs)
-custom headliner
-Front shoulder belts (rears eventually)

viewtopic.php?t=23070

There are 2 major differences between new Wranglers and FSJs. FSJs are meant to be both utilitarian and capable, not just capable. FSJs are also rarely initially recognized as Jeeps by the average American.