Locked QT in snow/ice

Modified FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
9.3x62

Re: Locked QT in snow/ice

Post by 9.3x62 »

Performance on slick roads is something I definitely look forward to. But I also want to do trails which require traction devices, and selectable lockers ain't in the budget. Enter the lunchbox. I have read many testimonies that indicate no big problems running one in the back of a QT, but never heard whether or not slick road performance was hampered in a major way or not.

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

9.3x62 wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 4:05 pm Performance on slick roads is something I definitely look forward to. But I also want to do trails which require traction devices, and selectable lockers ain't in the budget. Enter the lunchbox. I have read many testimonies that indicate no big problems running one in the back of a QT, but never heard whether or not slick road performance was hampered in a major way or not.
Snow and Ice performance with an automatic locker is the same for both a D20 and a QT when it comes to downsides. You lose lateral traction, and the locker can get stuck between locked/unlocked as there often is not enough traction to get it into locked. When its in this in-between state, it can suddenly lock which typically results in a loss of traction.

Its manageable, the driver just has to be aware its there, and learn its characteristics. It won't be a vehicle that anybody can just jump in and go drive in the snow like a regular vehicle would be.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

OldFarmTruck22

Post by OldFarmTruck22 »

Stuka wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 4:19 pm
9.3x62 wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 4:05 pm Performance on slick roads is something I definitely look forward to. But I also want to do trails which require traction devices, and selectable lockers ain't in the budget. Enter the lunchbox. I have read many testimonies that indicate no big problems running one in the back of a QT, but never heard whether or not slick road performance was hampered in a major way or not.
Snow and Ice performance with an automatic locker is the same for both a D20 and a QT when it comes to downsides. You lose lateral traction, and the locker can get stuck between locked/unlocked as there often is not enough traction to get it into locked. When its in this in-between state, it can suddenly lock which typically results in a loss of traction.

Its manageable, the driver just has to be aware its there, and learn its characteristics. It won't be a vehicle that anybody can just jump in and go drive in the snow like a regular vehicle would be.
I agree with Stuka. I drive with the Trac-Loc in the rear and like tgreese says, it just doesn't know there's snow on the ground. Good tires are important too. Been on hard pack, ice and powder and in between. Plowed right through 16" of snow for a couple miles when I needed it to. Never been stuck in anything with this vehicle. The trails love the low range too. I think they put together a Homerun for the times. Gas mileage focus did in the FSJ. Times changed as we all know.
You do have to learn how to drive any vehicle you own when conditions are anything but optimal. No different with an open rear, a Limited Slip or a Spool.
78 FSJ AMC 360 Quadratrac