74' Cherokee Off-Road RestoMod

Area to show off your Custom Build threads.

Topic author
motoriderx7x

74' Cherokee Off-Road RestoMod

Post by motoriderx7x »

Hey folks, long time reader first time poster. I recently wanted to get back into rock crawling trail riding but wanted something a bit different. I have had many XJ's throughout the years, but always wanted a Fullsize. I finally found one in my area that had some of the basic criteria I needed to start really planning and digging in. I'm selfishly using this thread to keep me motivated and moving on this project. My timelines or "hope and dreams" for completion are probably overly optimistic, but I'm looking to get this thing moving under its own power inside of 18 months.

Starting point: 1974 Cherokee 2 door with 244k miles (maybe more). Inline 6 4.2L (258) with a cheap amazon carb on it. As far as I could tell almost everything else was stock..ish. I only paid 1200 for it so consider that when looking at all the bad.

The Bad:
  • This jeep has been molested a bit all over.
  • The rear section of frame past the wheel well is pretty badly rotted and someone welded on some random angle iron with what looks like zero attempt to clean the rust out. This will need to be repaired.
  • The body mounts are all kinds of different sizes and most of them are actual hockey pucks (NHL brand).
  • I can only guess the person who attempted to fix the frame also fixed the front floorboards as there is a some non-rusty floor panel welded and screwed directly over the original and completely rusted floor pan. These sections will need to be cut out and replaced.
  • The rear floorboard leading the tailgate was a large piece of steel welded overtop of the original rear floor similar to the front floorboards. In this case when the floorboard gets close to the tail gate it stop and some random scraps of metal are screwed in at an angle leaving a giant 2-4" gap at the bottom of the tailgate you can see daylight easily through. See pics.
  • The interior side walls near the rear passenger areas are mutilated and cut up may turn these into cubby holes for something?
  • The front inner fenders are almost gone from the mounting points. This may not be an issue given my plans.
  • The Front portion of the frame rails have all kinds of "aftermarket" holes and cuts for things that were done to it over its life.
  • This one should be obvious but the rockers are basically gone.
  • The rear tailgate has been cut near the handle for some reason and it has aftermarket hinges that don't work so well given the angled issue from earlier. Might swap the tailgate for another with power window option.
  • the passenger rear window is cracked all the way across.
The Good::
  • Other than the aforementioned the frame is pretty solid.
  • The body from rocker and the outer portions of the wheel wells are pretty straight (some dents here and there) and the roof isn't rusted through.
  • I now own a 1974 Cherokee that I didn't pay and arm and a leg for :D .
  • The dash aside from the rats nest of after market wires and street sign aluminum plates that were added is in tact and not rusted through.
You can see below the tail gate hinge cut outs and other cut off wheel marks:Image
The welded panel on the rea interior and the banged up inner wall can be seen here:Image
The "AutoZone special" dash modifications and front of the jeep: Image
Front floorboards: ImageImage

Now that everyone knows where my starting point is here are some of my plans for this rig. I do want to give a shout out to a lot of the amazing other build threads I have seen here. Too many to list, but some of the ones I have taken inspiration from are wimsurf's Hemi swap build. I didn't even know what a "drop out kit" was until I had combed through his posts. There are a few threads here of folks doing some 4 link conversions that I got some ideas from. I love the look and styling of these FSJ's, but I'm not huge on the features from 1974 like manual windows, wood grain, and 40 different analog gauges to monitor your rig. So looking for more modern features where it makes sense.

My plans::
  • Gen 3 Hemi swap with 392 6.4 L and 8HP70 8 speed automatic transmission. I already have a wrecked 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT with 33k miles on it (full roll over, see pics). I got at auction for about what the drivetrain alone cost around my area (10k delivered to my driveway).
  • wrangler sport transfer case out of JK (non rubicon).
  • Hydro boost brakes.
  • 1 ton Dana 60 axles. Already ordered Spicer ultimate dana 60 with disc brakes, 4.88 gears and e-lockers front and rear.
  • 40x13.50R17 wheels and tires. Patagonia MT's and Hutchingson Monster beadlock rims already on order as well.
  • Triangulated 4 link front and rear. Still might consider 3 link in the front as I'm concerned about axles clearance with engine. Thoughts?
  • Coilover or spring shocks depending on how much room I have.
  • Box in the frame with plate and repair rear frame section
  • Full Hydro steering with ram armor.
  • Fabbed inner fender wells all around since originals are pretty rotted and for tire clearance.
  • High clearance and tucked Front and rear bumpers to help with approach and departure angles.
  • Armor underneath, rocker panels tucked in with box steel perhaps. armor the quarter panels where necessary.
  • Interior roll cage
  • Led lights all the way around and rhino grill.
  • Power window conversions even for tailgate
  • Retro fit the interior from Grand Cherokee donor to include front and rear seats, shifter, maybe center console?, gauge cluster, remote keyless entry and start, switches and controls in various places.
  • Some sort of waterproof and sound deadening interior coating or a really durable carpet. Open to suggestions here?
  • After market heat only from something like vintage air. Don't need A/C.
  • Wrap or cheap paint exterior
  • Rear tire carrier maybe roof mounted?
My progress so far::
Front clip is all off Engine, trans, transfer case is out. The 258, 3 speed manual and transfer case are all for sale if you are interested all working before pulled (virginia): Image
Interior is stripped out minus brake pedal and brake assembly:
Donor Grand Cherokee SRT. Surprisingly has a sunroof that didn't even crack. I haven't had a chance to get the engine running and the keys are missing so this will need to wait: Image
I have the doors and tailgate off. The body is ready to be pulled off and is disconnected from the frame. I now have a surplus of used hockey pucks :D . I don't have a lift so trying to figure out a rig with 2 tractors lifting at the same time :oops: to get the body off. I also need to build a body dolly out of 4x4's and caster wheels I have laying around as it will be a bit before getting to this.

I keep my Jeep Project in a OneDrive photo album so here is all the pics in one spot: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AvJfI2_SgZwZi5QuqvS ... g?e=iCF3h6

Thanks for reading! Don't be afraid to bump this if I'm slow to update or offer up tips, tricks, and suggestions to keep me on track. I know many of you have far more experience with these than I do.

Yeller

Re: 74' Cherokee Off-Road RestoMod

Post by Yeller »

Welcome aboard! Nice collection of parts and will be a nice build when done.

As for suspension I’m a link and coil spring guy, just from a cost stand point it’s easy to get decent tuning. Coilovers are awesome and getting spring rates right is pretty easy, but to get optimum performance they really need to be professionally tuned to get the full bang they are capable of. In heavier trucks they often need swaybars as well, it is completely up to you which route you take. As for the 3 link/4 link question it is completely up to build goals for height and amount of custom fab you are willing and prepared to do.

Personally I build everything as low as possible with 5-6” of up travel to accommodate being able to run at some speed and be comfy riding.

Full hydro steering, built a lot of them over the years. With a good bit of thought and effort you can get them to drive fairly well. However it will never drive like a steering box, it will have some quirks at speed on the street. If you’re aware and comfortable with that, go for it. Just be eyes wide open lol.

As for the spare tire. No way I’d carry a 40” spare, you need a tire that will hold the hub and rotor off the ground. It will wheel just fine and really drive fine. On my serious trail truck I carry a spare tire for my trailer. I’ve driven that on the trail and the street and it’s not even noticeable. Especially if you want to put it on the roof, a 70 pound tire is hard enough to get up there, make it a 130# tire and it’s a whole other ball game.

Happy building, I’ll be following :)
The bus I ride is so short it is a yellow Smart Car full of squirrels, monkeys and clowns.

1970 J2500 Resto Mod
https://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewt ... 12&t=21395

1974 Bronco “Broncno”
https://classicbroncos.com/forums/threa ... st-3411909

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Quite the project! You have some good parts going into it. Looking forward to seeing this move along.

I think you are going to want a rubicon case with 4.88's and 40s. I guess it kind of depends on where you live, and what kind of wheeling you do. I know the 8sp has a nice 1st gear, and you have lots of power, but there is something to be said for the better control. Or I guess go sport for now, and if its not enough for some use cases, go atlas so you can have both.

Bit sad to see the wrecked SRT, but cool to see its heart go into another project.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Yeller

Post by Yeller »

Stuka, don’t discount the 4.7 1st gear of the 8 speed, the control is there. I’ve wheeled a few JL rubicon’s, 4:1 case is just too low IMO to get the full effect of the capability of the vehicle without running in manual mode, that is only so helpful.
The bus I ride is so short it is a yellow Smart Car full of squirrels, monkeys and clowns.

1970 J2500 Resto Mod

1974 Bronco “Broncno”

Topic author
motoriderx7x

Post by motoriderx7x »

Yeller wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 5:37 pm Welcome aboard! Nice collection of parts and will be a nice build when done.

As for suspension I’m a link and coil spring guy, just from a cost stand point it’s easy to get decent tuning. Coilovers are awesome and getting spring rates right is pretty easy, but to get optimum performance they really need to be professionally tuned to get the full bang they are capable of. In heavier trucks they often need swaybars as well, it is completely up to you which route you take. As for the 3 link/4 link question it is completely up to build goals for height and amount of custom fab you are willing and prepared to do.

Personally I build everything as low as possible with 5-6” of up travel to accommodate being able to run at some speed and be comfy riding.

Full hydro steering, built a lot of them over the years. With a good bit of thought and effort you can get them to drive fairly well. However it will never drive like a steering box, it will have some quirks at speed on the street. If you’re aware and comfortable with that, go for it. Just be eyes wide open lol.

As for the spare tire. No way I’d carry a 40” spare, you need a tire that will hold the hub and rotor off the ground. It will wheel just fine and really drive fine. On my serious trail truck I carry a spare tire for my trailer. I’ve driven that on the trail and the street and it’s not even noticeable. Especially if you want to put it on the roof, a 70 pound tire is hard enough to get up there, make it a 130# tire and it’s a whole other ball game.

Happy building, I’ll be following :)
The spare tire weight didn't dawn on me until you mentioned this. I have run 37's, but didn't have a spare when I had them as they were bought used. I remember the 35's being heavy enough to cause back pain. I'll be trailering this rig most places I go to wheel, so having the 5th on the trailer is likely the best route. Appreciate that.

Keeping my center of gravity as low as possible is where I am aiming to go. I'm concerned in articulating the triangulated 4 link mount points might be too close to the engine or even bump something. I'm considering all link options including parallel and 3 link if need be. All of this may be for not as I don't yet have the axles to run more accurate measurements with and establish my ideal ride height. I lack experience building a rig with coil overs, but I wasn't sure given the WMS of 69" if the coil springs mounts would have enough room given all the other things on the axle and the potential to add sway bar after should I feel it needs it. (Especially in the front).

The transfer case choice was based on quite a few different folks stating the rubi 4:1 was too low on the 8hp70. I thought the sport t-case would be a better choice as I wasn't in the market (nor the 6 month wait time) for an atlas. This may be something I go to later though. Plus way more wrangler sports in the junk yard around here than the rubi's

Separate note as I'm getting some steel for the frame next week to box it in. Are there weak spots in the frame design I'm unaware of? Considering it would be fully boxed and the rear frame portions repaired at this point. I am going to build bigger cross members to account for the drivetrain change and add armor bolt up locations, just want to make sure I address any weak spots now while the welding and cutting is in full swing.

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

The FSJ frame is one of the best frames of the era. It doesn't compare to modern frames that are fully boxed from the factory. But compared to the c-channel frames from GM and such at the time, the semi-boxed frame of the FSJ is a definite improvement.

Several people here have boxed them, and done flex tests of before and after. Its a huge improvement. No major design flaw is coming to mind. GM has the area that cracks where the steering box mounts for instance. And as you are already improving the cross members, I think you should have any potential weak spots covered.

And I know some people say the sport t-case is better for the 8sp. But the way I see it, with the 4:1 low, if you don't need first gear due to it being too low, you just put it in 2, 3, 4, etc. But I totally understand the sport version being easier to find.
2017 JKU Rubicon

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

Stuka wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 2:57 pm ... No major design flaw is coming to mind. ...
From what I've seen, the spring mounts at the rear of the front springs come off the frame fairly often. No personal experience, but this has come up (seemingly) fairly often on here or at IFSJA. Maybe this only happens with a lot of lift? You should be able to find posts about it. You could either strap the bottom of the frame, going through the spring mounts, or gusset the sides, I'd think.

My '82 came to me with a broken and booger-welded transmission cross member, FWIW. Replaced with an intact example, no special reinforcement.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

tgreese wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:50 pm
Stuka wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 2:57 pm ... No major design flaw is coming to mind. ...
From what I've seen, the spring mounts at the rear of the front springs come off the frame fairly often. No personal experience, but this has come up (seemingly) fairly often on here or at IFSJA. Maybe this only happens with a lot of lift? You should be able to find posts about it. You could either strap the bottom of the frame, going through the spring mounts, or gusset the sides, I'd think.

My '82 came to me with a broken and booger-welded transmission cross member, FWIW. Replaced with an intact example, no special reinforcement.
Yeah, but he is going with a linked suspension, so the springs mounts won't matter in this case.
2017 JKU Rubicon

Topic author
motoriderx7x

Post by motoriderx7x »

Correct, Linked suspension won't need to worry about existing mounts. Speaking of which, after much effort I separated the body from the chassis finally. The PO welded/screwed some replacement looking panels over the original floorboard covering up the tops of the body mount bolts. I had to cut all but 1 of the body mount bolts. The body mount spacers that were entirely made of hockey pucks cause my reciprocating saw to run through about 3 batteries before reaching the bolt it was a royal PITA:

I can't even describe how sketchy this was by myself. The straps were not exactly centered causing the rear of the body to nearly flip backwards. None the less the body is now on a 4x4 dolly I built with some left-over caster wheels from harbor freight.
ImageImage

Started cutting the spring mounts off and other unnecessary brackets as well as hitting the frame with some cleaning discs. Still waiting on axles to arrive should be here next week. One issue I had was with the original fuel tank being heavily mutilated and covered with bed liner and other things around the fuel hose fitting. I have seen several threads here with guys using rear mounted stainless or aluminum fuel tanks. I found this one from BJ's: https://www.bjsoffroad.com/Fuel-Tank-Ki ... p_850.html. Seems like the way to go with any modern engine upgrade. How is the departure angle affected if at all, they seem to hang low? Has anyone used these with a Hemi? I'm curious if my existing fuel pump is going to fit into this from the donor grand cherokee or if I should just purchase there fuel pump kit? I believe the stock pump in the SRT is a 190LPH pump...

Glad the Impaler

Post by Glad the Impaler »

Nice build plan. I know a lot of guys use the S10 Blazer fuel tank - square in shape and holds 20-25+ gallons depending on the model you go with. I got a little creative with mine due to bobbing the frame / bed but you can fit just about anything under 40" wide in between the frame rails. I boxed my frame rails so I ended up with an inside with an inside width of 39.75".

Envious of you being able to work with a true cab-off-the-frame scenario - that will make everything so much easier. Suspension, engine, etc. Heck even working on the cab haha. Everything becomes easier when you pull off the scabs and get to work - something I learned the hard way but if I ever build another vehicle I now know.

Good luck!

Topic author
motoriderx7x

Post by motoriderx7x »

As I'm cleaning and cutting off all the brackets from the frame I ran into a couple areas of concern.
ImageImage This is behind the original shock mounts in the front. Not a huge deal as I can cut out and repair this. The concern is that the front half of the frame is boxed in from the factory and there is more rust on the inside of the frame rails where I can reach or even see. Am I overly paranoid about the rust in there? Have other folks cut off that plating on the front to treat and paint this area?

I'm also wondering if I can cut off this cross member:
Image This looks like it was only supporting the area for the leaf spring and any side to side the axle did. Since I'm going 4 link in the rear I'm not sure this is necessary and it would make removing those spring mounts a lot faster and easier.

Side note the Front axle and tires arrived today, Rear axle is coming and 3 of the 5 rims (hutchinsons) are missing in shipping so investigation is open to find them.
ImageImage

Topic author
motoriderx7x

Post by motoriderx7x »

Axles are all here, waiting on some new o-rings for the hutchinson wheels as they leaked air after getting one put together with the tire. Setup for blasting the frame this weekend with a local company. I'm trying to figure out which link kits make the most sense for this build. Anyone have any recommendations for front or rear kits? I have seen Artec kits for the rear, barnes has some but most of them are sold out, motobuilt, claytons, anything else I should look at? The artec seem a bit pricey compared to others, but I haven't seen them in person so hard to tell quality differences.

Yeller

Post by Yeller »

My choice would be Gen Rite for link kits. I’m not an artec fan, too big and too heavy.

1970 J2500 Resto Mod

1974 Bronco “Broncno”

Topic author
motoriderx7x

Post by motoriderx7x »

Ok summer is over, didn't realize how much time I don't have during the summer months as all the regular activities only happen then. Some quick updates:

After blasting and cleaning up the stock frame there were some weak spots where rust had eaten a bit too much where the shock towers and rear sping mounts where. On top of needing to box it all. Over the holidays I spoke with some family members and managed to get my hands on a super cheap JKU frame instead. I have been following Copper204 build on here and have seen the videos for NEA performances JKU frame swap on the Wagoneer. The after market support for the JKU also seemed like a bit of a bonus in terms of taking the guess work out of some things like mounts, brackets and other misc items I will need.

12 hours of grinding and cutting and many used up disc. brackets removed and cleaned up.

I'm attempting to determine all of my suspension geometry and measurements for the 3 link front and 4 link DT rear. I have been reading and watching a ton of information on how to setup your suspension, but a few things still illude me. I have the 3/4 link suspension calculator everyone talks about online to check my anti-dive/squat. I think I'll end up going with the JKU 116" wheelbase I'm hoping to position the body as far forward as possible so the rear has a better departure with the new wheelbase. I know my unsprung weight since the axles tires and rims are easy enough to add up. I don't know my spung weight/vehicle estimated mass.
1. Does anyone know how much the Cherokee body weighs with seats and carpet etc?
2. Does anyone know the estimated weight of the JKU frame?

I currently have the frame sitting at about 29" from the ground as measured from the lowest point of the frame. this puts the frame about 15" above the top of the axle tube as well. This seems really high like 8" inch lift high... I'm not quiet sure how to figure out the ideal ride height and where to set the frame height too. I'll obviously need this to better understand the center of gravity and of course how far off the axles the frame actually sits. I know I want to keep a low center of gravity but I also need to be able to articulate the 40" tires without absolutely butchering the fenders or worrying about bottoming out on a drop off. I feel like once I have these variables the 3/4 link calculator will help me understand my arm lengths and angles. Does anyone have better sources of information on how to understand this more? I also don't have any easy way of getting the body positioned on the frame right now is this going to be an issue when trying to figure out the suspension layout and even tack it all in?

Yeller

Post by Yeller »

With all of the builds I’ve done I’ve struggled with some of the same questions. I’ve always mounted the body, then done the suspension, in my experience it is the only way to get the correct ride height, and to get everything to fit. Without the ability to have OEM drawings of the body, frame, axles, etc, and be a Solid Works genius it’s the only way to be able to get it done without marrying the body and frame. Once those are together it’s all becomes solvable.

1970 J2500 Resto Mod

1974 Bronco “Broncno”

Topic author
motoriderx7x

Post by motoriderx7x »

I was afraid of this. I'm willing to cut the fenders a bit, but it seem like position the axles forward and back and going to require the body to be put back on or atleast hovering. Any tools or suggestions on how someone might accomplish this without having access to a lift?

Yeller

Post by Yeller »

I’ve set the body on beams on top of tall jack stands, roll the frame in and out and then lower it down on the frame and build body mounts. Body mounts need to be figure out to clear suspension components as well. Body can be raised up and down one end at a time with an engine hoist.

1970 J2500 Resto Mod

1974 Bronco “Broncno”

Colonel Ham

Post by Colonel Ham »

motoriderx7x wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 4:36 pm Hey folks, long time reader first time poster. I recently wanted to get back into rock crawling trail riding but wanted something a bit different. I have had many XJ's throughout the years, but always wanted a Fullsize. I finally found one in my area that had some of the basic criteria I needed to start really planning and digging in. I'm selfishly using this thread to keep me motivated and moving on this project. My timelines or "hope and dreams" for completion are probably overly optimistic, but I'm looking to get this thing moving under its own power inside of 18 months.

Starting point: 1974 Cherokee 2 door with 244k miles (maybe more). Inline 6 4.2L (258) with a cheap amazon carb on it. As far as I could tell almost everything else was stock..ish. I only paid 1200 for it so consider that when looking at all the bad.

The Bad:
  • This jeep has been molested a bit all over.
  • The rear section of frame past the wheel well is pretty badly rotted and someone welded on some random angle iron with what looks like zero attempt to clean the rust out. This will need to be repaired.
  • The body mounts are all kinds of different sizes and most of them are actual hockey pucks (NHL brand).
  • I can only guess the person who attempted to fix the frame also fixed the front floorboards as there is a some non-rusty floor panel welded and screwed directly over the original and completely rusted floor pan. These sections will need to be cut out and replaced.
  • The rear floorboard leading the tailgate was a large piece of steel welded overtop of the original rear floor similar to the front floorboards. In this case when the floorboard gets close to the tail gate it stop and some random scraps of metal are screwed in at an angle leaving a giant 2-4" gap at the bottom of the tailgate you can see daylight easily through. See pics.
  • The interior side walls near the rear passenger areas are mutilated and cut up may turn these into cubby holes for something?
  • The front inner fenders are almost gone from the mounting points. This may not be an issue given my plans.
  • The Front portion of the frame rails have all kinds of "aftermarket" holes and cuts for things that were done to it over its life.
  • This one should be obvious but the rockers are basically gone.
  • The rear tailgate has been cut near the handle for some reason and it has aftermarket hinges that don't work so well given the angled issue from earlier. Might swap the tailgate for another with power window option.
  • the passenger rear window is cracked all the way across.
The Good::
  • Other than the aforementioned the frame is pretty solid.
  • The body from rocker and the outer portions of the wheel wells are pretty straight (some dents here and there) and the roof isn't rusted through.
  • I now own a 1974 Cherokee that I didn't pay and arm and a leg for :D .
  • The dash aside from the rats nest of after market wires and street sign aluminum plates that were added is in tact and not rusted through.
You can see below the tail gate hinge cut outs and other cut off wheel marks:Image
The welded panel on the rea interior and the banged up inner wall can be seen here:Image
The "AutoZone special" dash modifications and front of the jeep: Image
Front floorboards: ImageImage

Now that everyone knows where my starting point is here are some of my plans for this rig. I do want to give a shout out to a lot of the amazing other build threads I have seen here. Too many to list, but some of the ones I have taken inspiration from are wimsurf's Hemi swap build. I didn't even know what a "drop out kit" was until I had combed through his posts. There are a few threads here of folks doing some 4 link conversions that I got some ideas from. I love the look and styling of these FSJ's, but I'm not huge on the features from 1974 like manual windows, wood grain, and 40 different analog gauges to monitor your rig. So looking for more modern features where it makes sense.

My plans::
  • Gen 3 Hemi swap with 392 6.4 L and 8HP70 8 speed automatic transmission. I already have a wrecked 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT with 33k miles on it (full roll over, see pics). I got at auction for about what the drivetrain alone cost around my area (10k delivered to my driveway).
  • wrangler sport transfer case out of JK (non rubicon).
  • Hydro boost brakes.
  • 1 ton Dana 60 axles. Already ordered Spicer ultimate dana 60 with disc brakes, 4.88 gears and e-lockers front and rear.
  • 40x13.50R17 wheels and tires. Patagonia MT's and Hutchingson Monster beadlock rims already on order as well.
  • Triangulated 4 link front and rear. Still might consider 3 link in the front as I'm concerned about axles clearance with engine. Thoughts?
  • Coilover or spring shocks depending on how much room I have.
  • Box in the frame with plate and repair rear frame section
  • Full Hydro steering with ram armor.
  • Fabbed inner fender wells all around since originals are pretty rotted and for tire clearance.
  • High clearance and tucked Front and rear bumpers to help with approach and departure angles.
  • Armor underneath, rocker panels tucked in with box steel perhaps. armor the quarter panels where necessary.
  • Interior roll cage
  • Led lights all the way around and rhino grill.
  • Power window conversions even for tailgate
  • Retro fit the interior from Grand Cherokee donor to include front and rear seats, shifter, maybe center console?, gauge cluster, remote keyless entry and start, switches and controls in various places.
  • Some sort of waterproof and sound deadening interior coating or a really durable carpet. Open to suggestions here?
  • After market heat only from something like vintage air. Don't need A/C.
  • Wrap or cheap paint exterior
  • Rear tire carrier maybe roof mounted?
My progress so far::
Front clip is all off Engine, trans, transfer case is out. The 258, 3 speed manual and transfer case are all for sale if you are interested all working before pulled (virginia): Image
Interior is stripped out minus brake pedal and brake assembly:
Donor Grand Cherokee SRT. Surprisingly has a sunroof that didn't even crack. I haven't had a chance to get the engine running and the keys are missing so this will need to wait: Image
I have the doors and tailgate off. The body is ready to be pulled off and is disconnected from the frame. I now have a surplus of used hockey pucks :D . I don't have a lift so trying to figure out a rig with 2 tractors lifting at the same time :oops: to get the body off. I also need to build a body dolly out of 4x4's and caster wheels I have laying around as it will be a bit before getting to this.

I keep my Jeep Project in a OneDrive photo album so here is all the pics in one spot: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AvJfI2_SgZwZi5QuqvS ... g?e=iCF3h6

Thanks for reading! Don't be afraid to bump this if I'm slow to update or offer up tips, tricks, and suggestions to keep me on track. I know many of you have far more experience with these than I do.

I may be more excited about this build than you are. Can’t wait to see this baby built from the ground up.
1973 Wagoneer QuadraTrac
33' Tires and 4" Lift
:fsj: