Newbie!

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
why_rick

Newbie!

Post by why_rick »

Hey guys, just bought my first FSJ. 1977 Cherokee Chief purchased in Arizona.
Question: I am a California resident and have to pass smog. What equipment do I even need to put on this thing? I have a smog/air pump that needs to be installed and I’m not sure what else I need. I’ve searched around and haven’t had much luck finding info (I haven’t called a shop yet). Any resources would be great.
Here she is: Chief wide track with the Levi edition. 112k original miles. Little bit of rust in the usual places (fenders). Purred like a kitten for the 300 mile drive with the only issue of the lights flickering on and off here and there.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Chop your own wood and it'll warm you twice

77 Cherokee Chief Wide Track Levi Edition, stock 360 (for now)
65 Chevy C10, 350, 700R4

Theodore

Re: Newbie!

Post by Theodore »

Very nice. Greetings from TN. Welcome to the forum.

I'd recommend taking a few pix from one side to the other of the engine bay & creating another thread to talk CA Smog & posting the pix of what you have & how much is missing. Searching the forum may reveal pictures & details of others who have passed CA Smog. oljeep.com is another resource to take a look at - it contains a treasure trove of owners manuals, service manuals that will be of help.
1990 Grand Wagoneer - "Theodore" - AMC 360, fuel-injected, TF727, NP229 - Sand Metallic - restoring to stock - Build Thread

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

Hi - welcome from Boston.

There is a table of the factory smog devices in the TSM (factory shop manual) for 1977. You will find an online copy of it here: https://oljeep.com/edge_parts_man.html Look on page 4A-41.

Regarding emissions, there are California cars and 49-states cars. The standards are different depending on where the car was delivered. I would expect a Jeep delivered in Arizona to be a 49-states vehicle, but maybe not. The inspection station can tell from your VIN. For California, I believe you need all the original equipment devices that the vehicle was delivered with to be present and working, regardless of where it was delivered or purchased. Aftermarket upgrades are not allowed (except in rare cases with CARB - California Air Resources Board - certification. As above, suggest you confab with some other California owners about what to expect.

If you want, Howell has a EFI kit with a CARB cert that allows you to remove most of the original devices. Another $1600-ish for the kit, but it might save you a lot of headaches. https://howellefi.com/product/tbi-kit-1 ... ons-legal/
Last edited by tgreese on Mon Feb 13, 2023 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

First, really nice Cherokee!

Second, going through smog seems to vary from station to station. I have seen times where all they care about is the the sniffer and the fuel system pressurization, and just check off the visual side (because they are lazy or whatever), or where they take the time to actually check the timing and such.

From the factory, there is an assortment of CTO switches and such, but its highly unlikely anybody at a smog station these days even knows what those are. And they won't be testing it when it has a cold engine anyway.

So yes, you need the smog pump and air injection tubes. You also need a functioning evap canister. As well as a functioning EGR valve. '77 also came with a catalytic converter for some states. It was required in all 50 states until '79 as I recall. California did require it in '77. But that may be a 49 state Jeep, and not a california Jeep.

A second option, should you choose it, is to install an emissions legal EFI system. It removed the air pump and injection tubes, and a few miles of vacuum lines. You do have to retain the cat, and the evap system (The evap system is good to keep anyway, prevents fuel vapors from building up).
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

What's the VIN? According to the TSM, Jeep only offered the 4V in California for 1977. A 2V should be 49 states.

NB in 1977 it makes a big difference, look at the table in the TSM. {catalytic convertor, fuel tank vapor control, EGR back pressure sensor} : California with, 49-states without. All get air injection.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Blockchain the vote.

Topic author
why_rick

Post by why_rick »

As far as I know, this jeep was originally in Oklahoma, then resided in Texas, and most recently in AZ.

65 Chevy C10, 350, 700R4

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

What's the VIN? You can leave off the sequential serial number at the end, if you want anonymity.
Tim Reese
Blockchain the vote.

Topic author
why_rick

Post by why_rick »

J7A17MP0

65 Chevy C10, 350, 700R4

sierrablue

Post by sierrablue »

Sweet rig!

I think the big things for emissions for you are gonna be a charcoal canister (keeps it from smelling like gas--contains the fumes), a functional cat, and your smog/air pump stuff. Mine's pre-emissions and in MN, so I don'r have any smog stuff on it--not 100% sure how it's all supposed to work. It's got to be running right I think is the other big thing, other than the charcoal canister and the cat.

If you want to make it easier on yourself, I think if you do an EFI swap of some sort, as long as the canister and the cat are there, it will pass the visual inspection, and the fuel injection will make it run right--every time. You tune it right once and it'll be happy. Definitely worth it if you can spend the money.
'71 Wagoneer (DD)
-B350 (HEI, iron 4-barrel, Edelbrock 1406), TH400, D20
-'74 D44 front (nonpower discs)
-custom headliner
-Front shoulder belts (rears eventually)

viewtopic.php?t=23070

There are 2 major differences between new Wranglers and FSJs. FSJs are meant to be both utilitarian and capable, not just capable. FSJs are also rarely initially recognized as Jeeps by the average American.

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

sierrablue wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 6:16 pm Sweet rig!

I think the big things for emissions for you are gonna be a charcoal canister (keeps it from smelling like gas--contains the fumes), a functional cat, and your smog/air pump stuff. Mine's pre-emissions and in MN, so I don'r have any smog stuff on it--not 100% sure how it's all supposed to work. It's got to be running right I think is the other big thing, other than the charcoal canister and the cat.

If you want to make it easier on yourself, I think if you do an EFI swap of some sort, as long as the canister and the cat are there, it will pass the visual inspection, and the fuel injection will make it run right--every time. You tune it right once and it'll be happy. Definitely worth it if you can spend the money.
For EFI to work here, it either needs to be CARB approved (Howel kit), or you need to go by a referee station and have them approve your manual conversion.
2017 JKU Rubicon

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

"P" is a 360 4V, so it could be a California car. This is in the TSM I linked above. The TSM will help you.

I'm not sure how to prove that it's a 49-states vehicle. As mentioned, your inspection station will know when they go to inspect it.

Despite the cautionary words in the post above, a 1977 49-states Cherokee did not come with vapor recovery or a catalytic convertor. It will make your task a lot easier if you could confirm that the Jeep was delivered outside of California. A CarFax might show you ... or you could check with the local inspection station and maybe they would do you a favor and look it up. Don't know if that's possible without starting a full-on inspection. Maybe.
Tim Reese
Blockchain the vote.

Topic author
why_rick

Post by why_rick »

Thanks for all the responses. The Howell EFI is on my list of things to do, but financially isn't feasible right now (as well as other things on my list of wants). Hopefully this will go smoothly and I'll try to report back on what happens.

65 Chevy C10, 350, 700R4

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

why_rick wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 1:17 pm Thanks for all the responses. The Howell EFI is on my list of things to do, but financially isn't feasible right now (as well as other things on my list of wants). Hopefully this will go smoothly and I'll try to report back on what happens.
What area of CA are you in?
2017 JKU Rubicon

Topic author
why_rick

Post by why_rick »

San Diego

65 Chevy C10, 350, 700R4

sierrablue

Post by sierrablue »

That's awesome! I have a good friend who lives in the San Diego area--can't wait for the fall, when we'll be at the same school.
'71 Wagoneer (DD)
-B350 (HEI, iron 4-barrel, Edelbrock 1406), TH400, D20
-'74 D44 front (nonpower discs)
-custom headliner
-Front shoulder belts (rears eventually)

viewtopic.php?t=23070

There are 2 major differences between new Wranglers and FSJs. FSJs are meant to be both utilitarian and capable, not just capable. FSJs are also rarely initially recognized as Jeeps by the average American.

candymancan

Post by candymancan »

Welcome.. niceJeep.. i wanted a wide track cherokee chief like that with a 401 would be nice hsh.

Sucks you gatta go through all thst emission stuff on a 45 year old car though.

I bet if you have a more modern catalytic convertor installed itd help pass emission on a sniffer test.
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L Limited 219k
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 I6 laredo 430k
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 155k
1976 Jeep J10.. 85k(repaired)