Reliability Issues

Area for General NON-Jeep related chat. Topics are typically not moderated, but must fall within the Use Guidelines.

Topic author
sierrablue

Reliability Issues

Post by sierrablue »

Not with the Jeep; with people. I've been reading a lot about places like Team Grand Wagoneer and Jeep Recyclers not being the most reliable. But I've noticed it places that I've applied to for internships, with people who're hoping to buy/sell stuff (not so much here, but elsewhere), and even with friends. And my parents have been having a TON of reliability issues with local companies and such.

My parents are talking a lot about how it didn't used to be like this. Is that true? Did people used to be a lot more reliable than they are now? It's just super frustrating, and it won't change anything hearing about how it used to be, but I'm just curious.
'71 Wagoneer (DD)
-B350 (HEI, iron 4-barrel, Edelbrock 1406), TH400, D20
-'74 D44 front (nonpower discs)
-custom headliner
-Front shoulder belts (rears eventually)

viewtopic.php?t=23070

There are 2 major differences between new Wranglers and FSJs. FSJs are meant to be both utilitarian and capable, not just capable. FSJs are also rarely initially recognized as Jeeps by the average American.

will e

Re: Reliability Issues

Post by will e »

We had 30 plus tons of decorative gravel delivered to the house. My wife arranged for some landscapers, who we use on occasion, to spread it for us. They didn't show up. He said Home Depot didn't have the small loader they usually rent. He then stopped responding to her texts. So I did it myself with a shovel and wheel barrow and my wife's help.

It seems that every time I call AAA they are having 'unusually high call volumes'.

And, of course, many places still blame Covid for being understaffed to handle customer requests.

And taking my car to the dealership for warranty work is a joke.

BUT..
We had the roof redone. All three companies that came out for estimates showed up at their scheduled time. The company that did the work showed up on time and finished on time. So there are some bright spots out there.

But it does seem that service is less reliable. Which is funny because it is so much easier to 'complain publicly' than it was 20 years ago.
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

Kowpie

Post by Kowpie »

With subjects like this, older folks run the risk of sounding curmudgeon like, "back in my day blah, blah, blah". So after saying that, all you can really do is try to have a balanced opinion through your own life experiences realizing that everyone views things through their filter. Through my experience and filter? Yes, it is different now. Way back, when you wanted automotive parts or specialty pieces you went to your local parts store, mail order catalog, or an ad in the back of a specific hobby magazine... yellow pages anyone? Businesses had to have quality parts and service as their customer base was considerably smaller with far less "reach". Presently? A business sells online and reaches the entire world through ebay, amazon, or their business website. But, this is also a double-edged sword. Folks have the ability to research for themselves and also rate those same businesses using that reach through forums and media such as this one.

IMHO, contractors and businesses did seem more reliable in years past but I believe this is partially a product of our memories. We tend to remember the more positive experiences as opposed to the negative.
As you experience life more, you will go through economic ups and owns. When the economy is good, contractors and businesses get a bit pickier, no need to answer all those calls, no need to go the extra mile since the dollars are flowing. Now just watch those same individuals during hard times such as the late 70's or the late 00's... boy they really want to serve!

Just remember the people whose character and scruples remain the same in good times as bad. Surround yourself with this type and strive to be the same.

As for keeping old vehicles around like what we are doing? This is the golden age! Obscure information available at your fingertips, good people like here on this forum willing to share and help, and enough disposable income to drive, fix, and enjoy these American icons.

Life is good and we are blessed to live in this amazing country.
'65 Wagoneer, 230 OHC, IFS, Column Shift T90/D20
'73 J4000, 6000#, 258, T18/D20, 33", full disc.
'79 CJ7, 304, T18/D20, 35", 4.56, SOA, shackle reversal.

letank

Post by letank »

A simple word: entropy... is working against humanity

merriam webster definition: chaos, disorganization, randomness

or

1 For a closed thermodynamic system, a quantitative measure of the amount of thermal energy (my take: people) not available to do work.
2 A measure of the disorder or randomness in a closed system.
3 A measure of the loss of information in a transmitted message. (my take: as a post gets more feed, the original question will get muddled)

My father used to say the same... and I am observing the same...

Chinesium parts are doing their part... the chinese rover Zhurong (easy to misspell as Zhu-dong, what a pos) is stuck on Mars and has not moved for 6 months, did not like the martian winter!
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

SJTD

Post by SJTD »

I had a running good natured argument with another Engineer. He said the Second Law of Thermo (entropy increases) proved evolution couldn't happen. I held that, as letank splained, the second law applies to a closed system which the earth is not.

Further, it applies to a process. If man evolves then blows himself and the Earth to a hot wasteland you could say the six billion year process completed with a net increase in disorder.

This is not to say I accept the THEORY of evolution. I just don't like poor, easily refuted arguments.
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Topic author
sierrablue

Post by sierrablue »

Thanks guys. Somehow it makes me feel better that things were better before...maybe there's a chance we can get thing back to better reliability in the future.
'71 Wagoneer (DD)
-B350 (HEI, iron 4-barrel, Edelbrock 1406), TH400, D20
-'74 D44 front (nonpower discs)
-custom headliner
-Front shoulder belts (rears eventually)

viewtopic.php?t=23070

There are 2 major differences between new Wranglers and FSJs. FSJs are meant to be both utilitarian and capable, not just capable. FSJs are also rarely initially recognized as Jeeps by the average American.

candymancan

Post by candymancan »

People arent reliable.. we have 14 acres.. two hourses.. i have schedualed a farier 8 times now from 8 diff people.. they nevee show up and waste my time.

Same with yahoos on marketplace who wanna buy something from you.. yes i really want it when can we meet.. i wait and wait no show.

I also did landscaping for 15 years.. people are so rude and (forget) to pay you. Its frustrating as hell im sure theyd be pissed if theyre employer just suddenly forgot.

I recently for a church replaced their 50 year old mercury vapor outdoor light bulbs. The bulbs were clear ones 30 years old.. so dim you couldnt see their parking lot. I also need to do the orange high oressure aodium bulb. I bought them all with my money.

Its been a week now.. since i did the mercury vapors. And a qeek since ive been waiting to do the high pressure sodium light. Ive called twice.. once i left a message.. No return call. Once i spoke with someone.. pasture never called back.

So im frustrated.. because thats 250$ i was going to make minus the 80$ i spent for bulbs. And i kinda need that money to finish this trade of my rifle for this guys J10..

I need it for the uhaul trailor and gas etc..

So because im not being paid by this damn church.. I cant move on with my own lifes plans.

Its infuriating actually. And if i dont get paid soon..Im going to take out those light bulbs and they can have a pitch black parking lot !!
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L Limited 219k
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 I6 laredo 430k
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 155k
1976 Jeep J10.. 85k(repaired)

devildog80

Post by devildog80 »

Yep....show up at one of their services and make your way to the front.

Then give them a sermon of a lifetime about how good christian people feel entitled to have everything given to them for free.....just because they are a church?

I go to Sunday Mattress for that exact reason, as churches have become a business, and not what we remember decades ago.

So sad!
'81 CJ5 Base, 258 I6, MC2100, T176 4 spd, 300 TC, D30 Front NT, 3.31, 2-Piece AMC 20 rear NT, 3.31, 4" high arc spring lift
'84 Grand Wagoneer, 401 V8 (.030 over), MC2150 HA Comp, 727 auto, Selec-trac NP229, AMC 20 REAR - D44 FRONT - WT 3.31, 4" high arc spring lift
Rather be driving, than waiting to be modified