Floor supports....

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
Mwithers

Floor supports....

Post by Mwithers »

Anybody know where i can find floor supports for a 74 wagoneer. Mine turned to dust

tgreese

Re: Floor supports....

Post by tgreese »

Support for body steel is quite limited. BJ's consolidates whatever parts are out there, and lists them on their
site.
https://www.bjsoffroad.com/Repair-Panels_c_40.html

For something like under floor supports, I suggest you fab what you need. Does not have to be the same as your original - just functional. Many CJ guys have used rectangular tubing to replace the floor supports (there is more body steel available for CJs than Wagoneers, BTW). Places like Raybuck and the truck restoration sites sell hat channel that you may be able to use. Your local HVAC shop might be willing to bend up what you need. There are often Jeepers locally that make a side business of roll bars and sliders and such, and they may be able to help or provide leads to sources.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

candymancan

Post by candymancan »

Make them yourself.

Go to loqes get some 1 1.2 inch 1/8th angle iron. Weld them together. And weld those to the supports that are still good and youre done.

You can also buy sign post poles. And use those.. theyre perfect actually. Just measure the depth of your originals and find sign post poles that natch.. cut to size and weld.. easy

Like thishttps://www.myparkingsign.com/Parking-Signs-Acc ... 9eEALw_wcB
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L Limited 219k
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 I6 laredo 430k
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 155k
1976 Jeep J10.. 85k(repaired)

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

First post - welcome from Boston.

Please tell us something more about your Jeep, and what equipment you have or would get for this project.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Blockchain the vote.

Topic author
Mwithers

Post by Mwithers »

tgreese wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 7:36 am First post - welcome from Boston.

Please tell us something more about your Jeep, and what equipment you have or would get for this project.
This is my first Full size jeep project. This wagoneer is mostly complete, starts with a bump of the key has low miles. The only real issue is the floor pans, hat channels, and inner and outer rockers everything else is rust free. Previous owner had just riveted aluminum sheets on top of the rusted floors and covered them with roofing tar... that has led to my current issue. I have already purchased new floor pans and rockers. I need to get some channel for the inner rockers. my main problem is the floor supports or hat channels. Do the supports go straight to the inner rockers or do they angel down close to the doors? I need to find a another wagoneer to take some pics and measurements. So i can fab new ones

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

Sounds like a great project.

'74 was a watershed year for the Wagoneer, with many changes from previous. I expect if you find a '74-79 to look at, it will be exactly like your '74. Newer or older will have some differences, though construction of the floors should be similar.

Suggest you put your general location in your signature, and someone near you might volunteer their Wagoneer or Cherokee for inspection. You could also make another post requesting what you need, ie "Need Wagoneer floor support pics."
Tim Reese
Blockchain the vote.

sierrablue

Post by sierrablue »

I can get some underside pics of mine for you--sometime in the late '70s or early '80s I know they changed it some, deleting one of the mounts and such, and Idk what year, but I do know that except for some front axle/spring perch modifications, the frame on my '71 is more or less identical to the one on your '74. Should be able to get some measurements and such for you too--just let me know what you need
'71 Wagoneer (DD)
-B350 (HEI, iron 4-barrel, Edelbrock 1406), TH400, D20
-'74 D44 front (nonpower discs)
-custom headliner
-Front shoulder belts (rears eventually)

viewtopic.php?t=23070

There are 2 major differences between new Wranglers and FSJs. FSJs are meant to be both utilitarian and capable, not just capable. FSJs are also rarely initially recognized as Jeeps by the average American.

akguy09

Post by akguy09 »

On My 79 J-10 the floorpans had a slight lean/slope towards the door
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1979 Jeep J-10 304/T-18
2017 Jeep JK 2DR
2021 PowerWagon

Topic author
Mwithers

Post by Mwithers »

sierrablue wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 3:32 pm I can get some underside pics of mine for you--sometime in the late '70s or early '80s I know they changed it some, deleting one of the mounts and such, and Idk what year, but I do know that except for some front axle/spring perch modifications, the frame on my '71 is more or less identical to the one on your '74. Should be able to get some measurements and such for you too--just let me know what you need
That would help greatly, my inner rockers are gone along with the floor supports that attached to them so I don't really have anything to go off of. It looks like i will have to start with the inner rocker and build out from there. So any pics of the layout/measurements from the channel that runs with the frame to the rockers would help. Looks like there was 3 supports per side I have half of one left i should be able to copy the bend from that one. Maybe

Thanks,

sierrablue

Post by sierrablue »

Mwithers wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 2:59 pm
sierrablue wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 3:32 pm I can get some underside pics of mine for you--sometime in the late '70s or early '80s I know they changed it some, deleting one of the mounts and such, and Idk what year, but I do know that except for some front axle/spring perch modifications, the frame on my '71 is more or less identical to the one on your '74. Should be able to get some measurements and such for you too--just let me know what you need
That would help greatly, my inner rockers are gone along with the floor supports that attached to them so I don't really have anything to go off of. It looks like i will have to start with the inner rocker and build out from there. So any pics of the layout/measurements from the channel that runs with the frame to the rockers would help. Looks like there was 3 supports per side I have half of one left i should be able to copy the bend from that one. Maybe

Thanks,
Yeah no problem. I'll try and remember to get some pics while it's outside when I'm at work tomorrow, although it's supposed to rain. I should be able to get pics/measurements this week for sure though. If there's a rush I can get them ASAP.
'71 Wagoneer (DD)
-B350 (HEI, iron 4-barrel, Edelbrock 1406), TH400, D20
-'74 D44 front (nonpower discs)
-custom headliner
-Front shoulder belts (rears eventually)

viewtopic.php?t=23070

There are 2 major differences between new Wranglers and FSJs. FSJs are meant to be both utilitarian and capable, not just capable. FSJs are also rarely initially recognized as Jeeps by the average American.

Topic author
Mwithers

Post by Mwithers »

sierrablue wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 4:14 pm

Thanks,
Yeah no problem. I'll try and remember to get some pics while it's outside when I'm at work tomorrow, although it's supposed to rain. I should be able to get pics/measurements this week for sure though. If there's a rush I can get them ASAP.
sierrablue wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 4:14 pm

Thanks,
No hurry I'm out of town working, and still gathering material. I will send some pics next time I'm off to give you an idea of what i need.

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

This is from the '74-80 factory parts book.

model10underfloor (874 x 638).jpg

I can't show this full-size, since picture size is limited by the forum. However, you can buy this book on CD-ROM from RockAuto, or on paper from BJ's. This book will help you a lot - a cheap investment.

[also] I expect this drawing is to scale. You could measure the length of the inner rockers and compare that to the distance between the floor supports. That should get you pretty close to the measurements you need. The lengthwise support is above the insulators on the frame outriggers.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tim Reese
Blockchain the vote.

Topic author
Mwithers

Post by Mwithers »

tgreese wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 6:52 am This is from the '74-80 factory parts book.

I can't show this full-size, since picture size is limited by the forum. However, you can buy this book on CD-ROM from RockAuto, or on paper from BJ's. This book will help you a lot - a cheap investment.

[also] I expect this drawing is to scale. You could measure the length of the inner rockers and compare that to the distance between the floor supports. That should get you pretty close to the measurements you need. The lengthwise support is above the insulators on the frame outriggers.
tgreese wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 6:52 am This is from the '74-80 factory parts book.

Good idea I ordered the books thanks for the info