Early Door Panels

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
iharding

Early Door Panels

Post by iharding »

The early door panels (mine is 1965) seem to have all rotted away and are not being reproduced. I have found a few photos but have never put my hands on one.

I am hoping to do a hillbilly replica for my truck. If anyone has one in any condition, and would be willing to part with it I would appreciate it. I don’t need the whole panel, just the vinyl peeled off and stuffed in a box would be fine.

Thanks!

tgreese

Re: Early Door Panels

Post by tgreese »

I'd think you could make a masonite panel to replace the original, and attach the original vinyl with maybe some new foam. Sounds like that's what you have in mind.

Would be helpful to put your location and model/year/equipment in your post. If you put this in your signature file, it will appear in every one of your posts.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

sierrablue

Post by sierrablue »

I can post pics/measurements of the homemade ones in mine if you want; '71 still had the same style/size of door panel. I'll have to see what they used for material--something weird but it'll never need replaced. If you don't want it though I won't post them.
'71 Wagoneer (DD)
-B350 (HEI, iron 4-barrel, Edelbrock 1406), TH400, D20
-'74 D44 front (nonpower discs)
-custom headliner
-Front shoulder belts (rears eventually)

viewtopic.php?t=23070

There are 2 major differences between new Wranglers and FSJs. FSJs are meant to be both utilitarian and capable, not just capable. FSJs are also rarely initially recognized as Jeeps by the average American.

Topic author
iharding

Post by iharding »

tgreese wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 3:17 pm I'd think you could make a masonite panel to replace the original, and attach the original vinyl with maybe some new foam. Sounds like that's what you have in mind.

Would be helpful to put your location and model/year/equipment in your post. If you put this in your signature file, it will appear in every one of your posts.
Sorry about that. I’m in Tacoma WA and my Jeep is a 1965 J-2500

akguy09

Post by akguy09 »

You could use 1/8 ABS, much better than masonite. My door panels are from ABS and I just wrapped them with the original vinyl
1979 Jeep J-10 304/T-18
2017 Jeep JK 2DR
2021 PowerWagon

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

ABS is a good suggestion. Foam board would work too, and should be ok if you are going to cover it up.

There is a WTB section here and at IFSJA where you could post. I'd also suggest you look through the parts car listings posted here and at IFSJA. Seems like there are a lot of these vehicles in the northwest; you could try your local pick-and-pulls and wrecking yards. Maybe try car-part.com to locate complete vehicles near you. Unlikely they will list door cards separately, but you could look for something related like a complete door and locate the vehicle that way.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

Topic author
iharding

Post by iharding »

tgreese wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 1:58 pm ABS is a good suggestion. Foam board would work too, and should be ok if you are going to cover it up.

There is a WTB section here and at IFSJA where you could post. I'd also suggest you look through the parts car listings posted here and at IFSJA. Seems like there are a lot of these vehicles in the northwest; you could try your local pick-and-pulls and wrecking yards. Maybe try car-part.com to locate complete vehicles near you. Unlikely they will list door cards separately, but you could look for something related like a complete door and locate the vehicle that way.
Yeah. Junkyards might be the best bet. I bought ABS panels from BJs, I just want an original vinyl to copy.