Issues with new fuel senders fuel lifts

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
rocklaurence
Vendor

Issues with new fuel senders fuel lifts

Post by rocklaurence »

So, I've had issues with the last two units that I bought from BJs. First, was an '80 Cherokee and the replacement unit with the sock was still 3" from the bottom of the tank. This leads to it sucking air once the level drops to 1/4 of a tank. Second, was my '87 J20. This unit was too low or at the wrong angle. After installing the Lift/sender, the sock kinked from contact of the floor of the tank causing fuel starvation. In both cases, I had to added approximately 4" of rubber hose to extend the sock to a horizontal position on the floor of the tank. Is this a common issue with the latest replacements? Has anyone else seen this? Ive replaced 5 or more senders from BJs in the past and never had a problem--BJs is the best supplier of FSJ parts. IMO
Yes, I used E85 rated hose that wont dissolve in the tank

sierrablue

Re: Issues with new fuel senders fuel lifts

Post by sierrablue »

That's odd. When I got my replacement fuel sock from them, it was too small for my pickup and I had to bore it out a little bit with a drill bit.

I think we ordered the same part number pickup as BJ's has for my tank, so it came from the same supplier, just cheaper. Anyway I was gonna replace my pickup but it's not at all a stock replacement on mine, so I just cleaned the existing one and put a new sock on it.

My best guess is it's not really BJ's fault; their supplier started sending something that's cheaper to manufacture and it's not really the right one, but could be made to work, as it was with mine.

BJ's has some good stuff; they're just really expensive, and their year ranges are kind of arbitrary, so unless it's about '77+, you have to do a lot of research to determine whether or not it's actually the right piece--sometimes it is but it says it won't fit yours, sometimes it says it is but it actually won't work because you have x option. That's my opinion on them; I know they're trying, and with Jeeps it can be hard to determine sometimes whether something is right or not, both on their end and on our end.

I'm not super surprised but I can understand the frustration.
'71 Wagoneer (DD)
-B350 (HEI, iron 4-barrel, Edelbrock 1406), TH400, D20
-'74 D44 front (nonpower discs)
-custom headliner
-Front shoulder belts (rears eventually)

viewtopic.php?t=23070

There are 2 major differences between new Wranglers and FSJs. FSJs are meant to be both utilitarian and capable, not just capable. FSJs are also rarely initially recognized as Jeeps by the average American.