84 j10 revival, first start in 5+ years, not driven in 15+ years

Area to show off your Custom Build threads.

Topic author
jjpeters4

84 j10 revival, first start in 5+ years, not driven in 15+ years

Post by jjpeters4 »

So I bought this truck from a friend of a friend as a divorce gift to myself, she hasn't been driven in 15+ years, hadn't ran in 5+ years, when I bought it there was no solenoid, no positive cable, last owner said there are no gears in the transmission but ran great. He inherited this truck when his dad passed away, he nor his dad did anything with this truck. So due to his dad never putting the title in his name I had to track down the last owner, he had a Pic of the title thank God because he had lost the title, I was able to track down the previous owner mother, she bought the truck for her son so she had put the truck into her name, I got to talk to the boy about the truck so I got a little bit of a back story on it...engine was rebuilt, he says there was about 1000 miles on the engine, he remembers putting in a big cam, stock block and heads, edelbrock intake and 750 carb, no smog stuff on this, msd ignition, I have no cam specs what so ever....things I have done are stage 2 quadrajet carb from jet I scored on marketplace for 200 bucks brand new, new negative and positive battery cables, new solenoid, fuel filters, radiator is on its way, today I'm doing the exhaust on it. So for the exhaust, it has Hedman long tube headers, reducer pipe and flex pipe, total jank...lol...so all I'm doing is 2.5" piping off the reducers, jegs 2 chamber mufflers, with 18" turn downs after the mufflers, I went into jegs with flowmasters in mind, sales guy recommended the jegs mufflers so I went with them and saved 100 bucks, plus they are stainless, not aluminized steel. So for the transmission, there are no gears because the linkage wasn't hooked up, none of the bushings are good so the linkage just kind of fell out, I was able to shift thru all the gears by hand, as a matter of fact I figured all that out upon Start up trying to figure out why the new solenoid wasn't engaging, well it was in gear. When I put the radiator and bushings in I'll find out if this truck will move, I'm crossing my fingers!

SJTD

Re: 84 j10 revival, first start in 5+ years, not driven in 15+ years

Post by SJTD »

Wow, congrats on all that research. I think I'd have just gone to the DMV and said I lost the Title. If I was sure it wasn't stolen way back when.
Last edited by SJTD on Sat Jun 17, 2023 1:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

HeavyMetalThunder_81

Post by HeavyMetalThunder_81 »

SJTD wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 8:54 am Wow, congrats on all that research. I think I'd have just gone to the DMV and said I lost the Title. If I was sure it wasn't stolen way back when.
In some states it's very difficult to get a new title, almost impossible sometimes it seems.
-Jonny B.
1979 Cherokee Golden Eagle - UNDER CONSTRUCTION
7" lift, 35x12.5x15
AMC 401 - Pro-FLo 4 FI
NV4500/NWFBB/NP205 - Triple Stick'd
F D44 - 4.10, Eaton E-Locker
R M23 - 4.10, Detroit Locker

1979 Cherokee Chief - Parts
1979 Wagoneer - Sold
1981 Cherokee Chief - Cubed

Topic author
jjpeters4

Post by jjpeters4 »

Yeah in ohio you can't file for a lost title unless the title is in your name, that I know of....

SJTD

Post by SJTD »

If it's in your hand it's not lost...

Or do you mean the registration in hand?
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

HeavyMetalThunder_81

Post by HeavyMetalThunder_81 »

In WA the vehicle needs to be inspected by a State Trooper, a bunch of DMV paperwork filed, then you need to wait three years before a new title will be issued to you in case any pervious owner who does have the title wants to claim the vehicle.

In IL it's a similar procedure which usually ends up with a dead end and the vehicle becoming worthless.

Then there's the Vermont loophole, which is what I'll be doing for one of my vehicles here shortly.
-Jonny B.
1979 Cherokee Golden Eagle - UNDER CONSTRUCTION
7" lift, 35x12.5x15
AMC 401 - Pro-FLo 4 FI
NV4500/NWFBB/NP205 - Triple Stick'd
F D44 - 4.10, Eaton E-Locker
R M23 - 4.10, Detroit Locker

1979 Wagoneer - Sold
1981 Cherokee Chief - Cubed

b00sted

Post by b00sted »

No title needed in GA on vehicles past 86. Which is good for us and you all as if I sell something to you without one your DMV will honor the sell and issue one..