bed liner in cargo area

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
why_rick

bed liner in cargo area

Post by why_rick »

I've seen some guys use bed liner throughout the interior and even exterior, but has anyone used it just in the cargo area? My cargo area doesn't have carpet, just some kind of rubber liner. Can anyone recommend a product? I assume it wouldn't be too tough of a job.
Chop your own wood and it'll warm you twice

77 Cherokee Chief Wide Track Levi Edition, stock 360 (for now)
65 Chevy C10, 350, 700R4

devildog80

Re: bed liner in cargo area

Post by devildog80 »

I too do not have carpet....anymore, as it was rotted bad so removed it.
I want to just get a heavy rubber mat for the cargo area, like horse owners use for stall mats, so I can take it out to clean.
Is this what you are working with now, and do you think the bed liner would hide any rust that might eat up through from below?
'81 CJ5 Base, 258 I6, MC2100, T176 4 spd, 300 TC, D30 Front NT, 3.31, 2-Piece AMC 20 rear NT, 3.31, 4" high arc spring lift
'84 Grand Wagoneer, 401 V8 (.030 over), Edelbrock clone 1406, 727 auto, Selec-trac NP229, AMC 20 REAR - D44 FRONT - WT 3.31, 4" high arc spring lift
Rather be driving, than waiting to be modified

Topic author
why_rick

Post by why_rick »

the mat that was in when I purchased was pretty thin and worn. I replaced it with a universal liner I found online. I'm thinking of more of a roll on liner similar to Line-x or rhino liner.

65 Chevy C10, 350, 700R4

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

According to Jeep owners that have coated their bare floors with bed liner, it's rough. Rough enough to scrape off skin. I would stick with the rubber mat.

Project Farm has a nice review of various roll-on bed liners.

The horse stall mats are really heavy. Good for under your deadlift bar and weights. I can drag one of those mats myself, but I'd have a hard time moving a mat of that material and size in and out of the back of a station wagon.

How about indoor/outdoor carpeting? Any auto upholstery shop could make you a bed liner and wheel well covers. That carpeting over jute padding is nice and soft, and quiets road noise a lot. BTDT.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

baileynb

Post by baileynb »

I know the thread is a month old, but I'm actually for bed lining. I have used Al's Liner HNR and their bed liner inside my Mazda B2200 and the XJ I had. On my XJ, I left the front with just the bed liner and removed the back seat and built a little access hatch out of scrap plywood for hidden storage, then cut a heavy rubber mat to fit in the whole back area since my dogs rode in back a lot. I've since lost the XJ due to a blown engine and move. I recarpeted the Mazda pickup.

On the XJ, I had a lot of rust and pitting and a few sections of floor pan that had to be completely replaced, so I figured the HNR and bed liner would be a good surface coating after the floor repair. A few coworkers said they like the look.

In my experience, the roughness of the bedliner depends on how it was installed. You can get a pretty smooth surface spraying from what I've read, but I used a 3/8 or 1/2 knap roller and had a pretty smooth surface that didn't scrape my knuckles.

rocklaurence
Vendor

Post by rocklaurence »

Ive used LinExtreme, Hurculiner and Monsterliner. IMO, the Monsters us the most durable and UV resistant. The other two are much more rubbery/soft. While the Monster is a harder plastic. Ive used it on all my FSJ beds and floors and it allows you to cover small rust and pin holes. Also, get twice the amount that is recommended. If it states that a kit will cover a pickup bed, get two because it'll be too thin and you want it to be thick for durability and sound deadening.

baileynb

Post by baileynb »

If any of those brands are like Al's Liner and have to be mixed, I recommend mixing less than you think you can do in the given time if you're rolling it on.

Like anything else, proper prep is the key to it going on well, and staying on.

SJTD

Post by SJTD »

I used Durabak without the rubber granules on my floors and really like it. Put it on about 6 years ago and the stuff I peeled out of the roller tray is still flexible, you can wad it up and it comes back, though it's never been outside. Problem is I don't think you can get the smooth stuff anymore. I was going to put a coat of it on top of the stuff I used in my CJ that had the granules. Different brand, several years older and still holding up. A little chalky even though it has a soft top. Can't remember the brand but not one of the biggies.

I used Raptor on the interior sides and rockers. Wouldn't use it again. No resiliency, seems to be paint with a filler like chalk or some such.

If you aren't in a too big a hurry, email prospective companies and ask for a sample.
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Topic author
why_rick

Post by why_rick »

Yesterday I pulled back the carpet from the wheel wells and the rubber from the cargo area. Metal looks really good. I also ordered a couple sample chips from Durabak and Monstaliner.

65 Chevy C10, 350, 700R4

jpcoutts

Post by jpcoutts »

I would think carefully before doing this. I know it's a popular thing to do but once you do it it's hard to undo. When I had a wag I used extra carpet in the back when I need extra padding/surface grip and simply took it out out leaving the interior carpet and chrome strips for everyday use.

candymancan

Post by candymancan »

I did herculiner on my J10 3 days ago.. Its rough but it doesnt rip off skin lol.

But you know what ima do ot do my 90 GW now.. my carpet is DONE back there.. and i have 1 quart of herculiner left... Great idea !
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L Limited 219k
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 I6 laredo 430k
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 155k
1976 Jeep J10.. 85k(repaired)

will e

Post by will e »

My cargo floor had bed liner on it when I acquired my Cherokee. Durable, yes. Impossible to clean? Certainly. No amount of scrubbing makes it look 'clean'. It's not a big deal for me. My rig is mostly a wheeling/camping rig, I don't clean it out very often. Every once in a while I will pull all of the crap out and spray it out. But even with a scrub brush and some cleaner it doesn't end up looking good.
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

letank

Post by letank »

went to an upholstery shop for car seat and bought some of their padding material 1/4 to 5/16 thick, it is not foam but a wool or jute type of material. cut to fit, add some carpet of your choice.

Probably avail on the web vendors, here is it

https://www.amazon.com/Bry-Tech-Furnitu ... 5587&psc=1

but mine has a underlayment layer of blue color, you can get a metallic protective layer.

Not good if you have water leaks!

for leaky cargo area, I was gifted a rubber cargo liner from a 2000 GC, it fits and can hold water
CargoLinerDSLGCx.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

SJTD

Post by SJTD »

Does it fit that well on the right side under the cardboard?
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

letank

Post by letank »

SJTD wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 1:01 pm Does it fit that well on the right side under the cardboard?
let me redo a proper pict. Back from a trip so there were some stuff left over!
Michel

letank

Post by letank »

here we go, yes it does fit tight on the sides, but the plastic/rubber material is not too hard and can be forced, about 2" too narrow. I should ask my neighbor for the exact YM of his GC, but it was not the first gen.
Cargo1fsjx.jpg
cargo2fsjx.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Michel

letank

Post by letank »

update, view from opened tailgate
CargoPadGCfsjx.jpg
Michel

SJTD

Post by SJTD »

Thanks for that. Fits pretty good.
Sic friatur crustulum

devildog80

Post by devildog80 »

One of my teen grandsons bought a 2005 F250 construction pickup ($400) with the 5.4 3 valve engine seized at 284,000 miles, and I was able to reuse the rubber bed mat from it he was discarding, for the cargo area in my Wagoneer.
Front part of it towards the F250 cab, was thin and falling apart, but the mid to rear was still good enough to trim & fit. Turned out good.

Image20231018_090513 by Scott Weckerly, on Flickr
'81 CJ5 Base, 258 I6, MC2100, T176 4 spd, 300 TC, D30 Front NT, 3.31, 2-Piece AMC 20 rear NT, 3.31, 4" high arc spring lift
'84 Grand Wagoneer, 401 V8 (.030 over), Edelbrock clone 1406, 727 auto, Selec-trac NP229, AMC 20 REAR - D44 FRONT - WT 3.31, 4" high arc spring lift
Rather be driving, than waiting to be modified

candymancan

Post by candymancan »

The problem i have with rubber is it holds moisture. Floor mats that are rubber. If you floor ever gets wet. It leaves the carpet to stay wet forever.

Same eith bare metal underneeth. If the rear tailgate leaks somewhat which a lot do its why the carpet rotted to begin with. Then the rubber just trap the moisture under it.

It looks very nice but deff be lifting it up often to check if its dry under
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L Limited 219k
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 I6 laredo 430k
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 155k
1976 Jeep J10.. 85k(repaired)