Driveshaft dropped!

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
Milktruck

Driveshaft dropped!

Post by Milktruck »

On the road thru Charleston WV and rear driveshaft dropped while running down the highway. Waiting on a tow to town.

I can’t get out to assess damage, but am hoping to find some bolts and see if I can get back on the road. I believe I’ve got a 208(?) so can’t remove the front and run on the rear if I had a 229. I have to sit here with foot on brake or I’d check. Ain’t got parking brake

Any thoughts?

I believe the bolt size for an ‘88 is 9mmx1.25
1988 Jeep Grand Wagoneer backdating to 78/88 blend
5.3L LS/3" Lift/Bilstein Shocks/Boobie Grille

will e

Re: Driveshaft dropped!

Post by will e »

Do you have front locking hubs?
If it is a 208 you can lock the hubs and put it in 4wd. Then putting the transmission in park should hold the jeep.
Or chock the wheels.
If it is a 208 and you can lock the hubs and remove the rear drive shaft you can drive it although I would be cautious about going too fast.
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

A 229 would have been stock in all 88 Wagoneers.

But if you swapped in an NP208, you can totally drive in front wheel drive if you remove the rear shaft entirely.

Chances are, the u-joint failed. So not sure finding new u-bolts bolts will do anything.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Topic author
Milktruck

Post by Milktruck »

It’s a 229. I slept in the truck and have the u joints replaced. I’m just drilling out some sheared bolts and I’ll be on my way soon. the longest part of the wait is charging the battery for the drill. I didn’t bring mine.

Topic author
Milktruck

Post by Milktruck »

Got back on the road. When I stopped to do a once over I found a big crack on the transfer case by the rear seal. Grr. Bet it didn’t like the whuppin’ it got when the driveshaft let go.

Anyway… I’m waiting on the JB weld to cure and then I’ll top off with fluid and try to get the rest of way to Cleveland.

Wish me luck. (Gonna be sourcing a new transfer case and rear driveshaft for when I get home)

will e

Post by will e »

Good luck! I googled it and you have about 250 miles to do this? That should be doable.. Jeep gods willing.
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

Topic author
Milktruck

Post by Milktruck »

Made it! Once I got on the road the seal leaked on the tail shaft. I figure that meant pressure was building. Was bad, but not bad enough to quit. I’ve got it in a garage now and will do the seal tonight. If that doesn’t hold, I’ll need to source a tail shaft housing to bolt up.

Love these beasts.

will e

Post by will e »

Happy for you! Having issues is part of the adventure (although now that I am old I would rather avoid). I know I always breath a sigh of relief when I am withing AAA distance of towing the truck home!