TF 727 late upshifts

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
dutchjeepdriver

TF 727 late upshifts

Post by dutchjeepdriver »

Hi everybody,

I have overhauled my automatic transmission from my '84 GW with alot of help from some youtube videos and reading the manual from Carl Munroe. Result: The transmission shifts smoothly through all gears, but I can't get early shifts. So if I cruise at 25 mph it stays in second gear and 3th gear kicks in only from 40 mph. I have measured the line pressure which is 5 BAR (72 psi) which is too high, default should be 57 psi. Checked and cleaned all valves in the VB if they move freely. I have turned the line pressure adjusting screw (in valve body) almost completely out (clockwise)to lower the pressure but it remains at 72psi. I have adjusted the throttle rod complete to bottom end at WOT, and different steps in between. No result! I drove the car with throttle rod disconnected and it still shifts up at the same speeds.
Now I can try to find a weaker spring for the line pressure so it lowers the pressure, or I can install a weaker spring in the Governor. I am now doubting what I should do. Did I do something wrong? Why has the throttle rod no influence on the shift moments? Who is experienced and has some tips for me? Thanks alot in advance. best regards from the Netherlands Marc

Stuka
Site Admin

Re: TF 727 late upshifts

Post by Stuka »

Do you have a shift kit in it? To my limited 727 knowledge, line pressure in the 70's at idle is normal if a mild shift kit is being used.

If you don't have a shift kit, then it sounds like the kickdown lever is all the way back. Pulling it forward should lower the pressure and make it shift to 3rd sooner.

But, my 727 experience is limited.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

letank

Re: TF 727 late upshifts

Post by letank »

Make sure that your linkages are moving freely, the one by the transmission. For some reason I had some dry built up and when forcing the gear shifter it messed up the TV linkage at the carburetor, see pict as messed up and properly adjusted as per TSM
TVstuckFSJdslx.jpg
and proper
TVlinkFSJdslx.jpg
this was the stuck linkage -the left one-
TVrodKickFSJdslx.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)