Oil Sender Replacement

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
kjandb

Oil Sender Replacement

Post by kjandb »

I read I have to swap out my old oil sending unit (warning light only) to go to a new Stewart Warner gauge. I'm pretty sure this is the sender? Does the entire thing get removed or just the portion where the wire plugs in? Been trying to remove the entire thing and it's not budging. PITA to get a good angle on it. Any tips appreciated.

'71 Wag 360 ImageImage

Sent from my Pixel 8 using Tapatalk

'71 Wagoneer - 4" BJ's Leaf Lift - early 360 - Avocado Mist ???
S Idaho

tgreese

Re: Oil Sender Replacement

Post by tgreese »

This is a typical oil pressure switch. It would work to replace yours if you kept the light.

OilPressureSwitch (368 x 310).jpg

Connector on yours is different. The hexagonal part in the block is a fitting. It'll come out, but not necessary to remove with the switch.

For a light, it's only a switch. On or off. If you want an electric oil pressure gauge, you will need a sender that changes over some range with oil pressure. You also need to match the sender to the gauge - check the listing of the gauge you want to see if the sender is included or what part you must buy.

A mechanical gauge is another option. That replaces the sender with tubing from the block to the gauge.

You can keep the light and add a gauge. Remove the sender and add a tee and whatever other fittings you need to clear the block, oil pump cover and oil filter. Then screw in the switch and your new sender.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

Srdayflyer

Post by Srdayflyer »

that sender is a pita i had to remove the oil filter pump housing, it was a good thing , found the gears pitted and the filter side housing scored, i surface plated the gear mating side smooth installed new gear set and re plumbed the oil pressure switch for easier access, got and increase in oil pressure and stable indication no needle flux.

letank

Post by letank »

You need to wiggle a socket on top of that sender unit, the one that Tim has included in his reply:
OilPressSw71FSJ.png
Don't bother with that big hexagonal fitting on the engine block. Remove the oil filter is you have to to ease the removal, but degrease before doing the job, you can see what you are doing. White gas or camping stove fluid is good to remove all that old grease, use a paint brush to extract all that caked oil, then brake fluid cleaner or anything you have around.

Post edit: May be a long nose visegrip to extract that sender?

As per Tim's post, get the thin wall socket!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by letank on Sun Dec 03, 2023 5:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

Specialized oil pressure sender sockets are a thing. https://www.amazon.com/oil-pressure-sen ... sor+socket

It's a six-point 1-1/16" deep socket. Your typical socket set won't have a socket that large. I expect you can get one in Craftsman at Lowes, or maybe another brand at an Ace Hardware. Or online.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

Topic author
kjandb

Post by kjandb »

Thanks everyone. I pulled the old sender but the new sender is triple the size and won't fit in that existing hexagonal adapter. And I can't attempt to remove that without pulling the oil filter housing so I just added another adapter to tee off of it. It's a tight fit, we'll see if it works.

Onto wiring the new gauges...what's the best way to remove the A&G wires from this plug? Any easy way to pull them out or should I just cut it and splice?
'71 Wagoneer - 4" BJ's Leaf Lift - early 360 - Avocado Mist ???
S Idaho

Yeller

Post by Yeller »

When you unplug the connector the wires can be pushed out the front of the connector and removed.
The bus I ride is so short it is a yellow Smart Car full of squirrels, monkeys and clowns.

1970 J2500 Resto Mod
https://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewt ... 12&t=21395

1974 Bronco “Broncno”
https://classicbroncos.com/forums/threa ... st-3411909